Memorygirls - Make Do and Mend

Options

Comments

• ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Thank you Thank you

Due to your lovely stovies I have now been promoted to Wonderful Wifey status. Not only was a plate devoured last night but he's also taking a slab (as they are now cold & have set) to work with him for his tea.

Any ideas for tonight??????

Have a good day - and hope you get your jersey finished.
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Options
    Yay!!! Clootiesmum the Stovies Queen:j

I bet any peeps not from Scotland would read the recipe and go !!!!!!!!! It's a plate of mashed potatoes!!!!!!!!

Seriously though guys - its a brilliant dish - great to make for parties when the weather is cold. I remember New Year's parties as a kid where there would be a pressure cooker full of Scotch Broth and an oven full of dishes of stovies for people coming First Footing after the bells.

Because they are savoury in a kind of "I've had a couple of beers now I've got the munchies take me to a kebab shop kind of way" they go down a storm. In fact I remember making them at some pretty posh house parties in London and the dishes were always cleared.

As for dinner tonight Clootiesmum - I think we will be having Roasted Butternut squash with shaved parmesan and salad. Don't I sound wayyyyyy cheffy????????

Beginning to think that risotto's are a DFW godsend. A large handful of rice per person and whatever veg is hanging around makes for a really impressive meal. And my kids love it so thats always a bonus. It's worth practicing how to make it cos its a grat "end of the month got no money" stockcupboard staple.

The last sleeve is done - :j

Going to pull out the ironing board and pin out the pieces.

Then my challenge for today????????????

I'm going to use my timer again set for 15 minute intervals.

15 minutes set for clearing out my Kitchen Cupboards and making a proper working inventory.

15 minutes listenning to Jack Black's Mnidstore programme and setting some goals for my life that get me truly excited.

Repeat until children need me :p

See you soon

Memorygirl
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • Memory_Girl
    Options
    Back from foraging in deepest recesses of my kitchen cupboard.:DJust weighed all the Risotto rice that I have in stock. There is 3300g!! That works out (at 50g raw weight per portion) at 66 portions of risotto - or 33 dinners almost provided for.

That's a months worth of dinners sitting doing nothing in my cupboards - not that you would eat risotto every night but you get my drift. Our favourites are:

Pea and mint (both from garden - or a handfull of frozen peas)

Roasted Butternut squash - 1 squash roasted with half frozen does us 2 meals.

Broad beans and pancetta (OK scraps of smoky bacon from LIDL)

Bianco - just with parmesan and butter.

Roasted tomatoes - from garden when there is a glut

Courgette and parmesan.

You get the idea?????????. I now nominate Monday night as Risotto night until the rice is used up - which by my reckonning is the 20th of December.Just in time for the boxing day Turkey Risotto:rotfl:.

Wonder what other stuff there is lurking in there??

Memorygirl
  • Memory_Girl
    Options
    Cleaned out my Coffee / Tea / mug cupboard - Ooooh!!! I'm getting so brave.:D

Unfortunately did not discover 5 jars of quality coffee to see me through to Christmas:( Just what's left in the jar!!

So I'm thinking that my coffee habit is now going to have to be brought under control if I'm going to make my money last.

So now my rule is coffee only with breakfast (or if there are guests in). What I will drink instead is from my selection of 10 boxes of fruit/ herb teas.:eek: I don't remember buying all those!!! What I have found again (which I love) is a tin of unfermented Chinese Green Tea that my Mum brought back from China as a Xmas Gift.

Not only did she bring me tea - but a mug with a lid and strainer so that you can brew your own mug, and a Chinese Tea Flask that you can use to take a bottle with you to have really healthy green tea to sip on all day. The best news is that you only need to use a pinch of tea to brew up - and you can then use the same leaves over and over again all day. I think I had a record 8 cups from the same mug when the really cold weather was here - so its very DFW friendly:rotfl:

Looking at whats in the tin - I have got enough to do me until next Christmas - so that's the brew up sorted then :j

I DO RESERVE THE RIGHT to buy more decent coffee when I've finished my current jar (well a lady has got to have some luxuries in life - LOL)

So far my "Make Do and Mend" challenge looks pretty healthy - making my pennies stretch as far as they can is going to be interesting this year.

Paid my Mum back the £30 I borrowed for the car last week - and paid her for the £14.65 yesterday too (Dad paid it when he picked up the car). So I am now back to only owing the bank money - and that it slowly going down too. In fact I will find out how much I still owe and add it to my signature too.

Off to sort out my Spices and "exotic cooking bits" cupboard. I know that I have some yummy stuff in there for spicy lunches.

Memorygirl
  • ClootiesMum
    Options
    Oooohhh you are on the ball, aren't you....

I need to attack my cupboards but I think I'll leave that to tomorrow (as ClootiesDad is now having to work rather than having day off :mad:)

Today might be a mass filing day :eek::eek::eek: but I have to see about car insurance and another few wee bits & pieces for his lordship first.

But have been to coup & have sorted lawn mower service (had it 7 years & bits have fallen off is so a service might be a wee treat for it).

But first, now that you've mentioned green tea....
    Debts 07/12/2021
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ok still sitting here with awe about how economical and determined you are. I feel like a DFW lightweight compared to you :)
    have to admit that as a potato phobic, in partic, mash i've skimmed over your stovies receipe but i'm interested in reading the rest.
  • Memory_Girl
    Options
    :rotfl:
    Oooohhh you are on the ball, aren't you....

I need to attack my cupboards but I think I'll leave that to tomorrow (as ClootiesDad is now having to work rather than having day off :mad:)

Today might be a mass filing day :eek::eek::eek: but I have to see about car insurance and another few wee bits & pieces for his lordship first.

But have been to coup & have sorted lawn mower service (had it 7 years & bits have fallen off is so a service might be a wee treat for it).

But first, now that you've mentioned green tea....

Oooh!! Mass filing day:eek: I daren't even look in my office at the moment after the moving the furniture weekend.

Naughty Memorygirl needs to get up stairs and start clearing the desk erm!! Floor - :rotfl:

But first - BREW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Found 37 sachets of Miso soup. I know it's a acquired taste, but its one I've acquired - LOL. I have a jar of paste to finish first - but makes a lovely lunch with some soba noodles and chopped up fresh stiff from the garden (mange tout, pea sprouts, coriander, chilli, tomato - whatever is growing)

So thats about 45 lunches sorted out for me too!!!

Wahayyy!! For stock-cupboards. I got these sachets in packets of four for 18p - so with bundle of soba noodles (2 packs for 50p in the Pound Shop) the cost for lunch minus fresh bits would be about

10 PENCE :j

Of course seeing as they have already been bought - the cost to my Challenge budget is ZERO!!!!!!!!!!

Kettles whistling!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!

Memorygirl

• ClootiesMum
    Options
    and chopped up fresh stiff from the garden

:eek:Eeeeeeewwwwwww:eek:
    Debts 07/12/2021
  • Memory_Girl
    Options
    :eek:Eeeeeeewwwwwww:eek:

Oops!!!! I think I meant stuff - at least I hope I meant stuff because the alternative, although very DFW could be highly illegal :D

Memorygirl

PS Looking at my storecupboard list I think veggie Indian food is going to feature rather highly inthe coming months - how does that suit Lemontree??
  • Memory_Girl
    edited 11 May 2010 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Next discovery - I have 18 packets of Mama Tom Yum Spicy Noodle soup mix. My mum bought these when she was here - but they are Waaaaaayyyyy!!! chilli hot so Dad won't eat them.

I Luuuurrrvveee them!! In fact with the 18 packets plus a glass jar of Tom Yum soup paste I now have another lunch sorted out until Christmas. I think I will nominate this as a Friday lunch as lunch on a Friday has to be just after 12 as the whole school goes swimming in the afternoon and I am out the door to get them at 12.30.

So scores Looking like

Breakfast
    M Muesli and frozen berries with HM Yogurt
    T Porridge with cinnamon and chopped apple
    W Muesli with chopped apple and HM Yogurt
    TH Porridge with brown sugar and milk
    F Khichri with poached egg
    S Sultana bread and HM jam
    S HM Pancakes for boys, poached egg and khichri for me.

Lunches
    M Miso soup and Soba Noodles
    T Bottom of the fridge soup with crisprolls
    W HM Hummus and veggie dippers
    TH Baked potato and hummus and salad
    F Tom Yum Soup - with fruit for after swimming
    S Gazpacho Soup and noodle salad
    S Vegetable soup and HM Granary Roll

DINNER
    M Risotto night
    T Pancake/ or toad in the hole or baked potato night
    W Pasta night
    TH Rice n curry night
    F HM Pizza night
    S HM Burger n chips n salad (in front of Dr Who - LOL)
    S Meat night - chicken/ brisket/ lamb dinner

Most of this I can cook from stuff in stock - got frozen sausages n stuff too. Obviously I will need to buy fresh fruit and veggies and milk / yogs for the kids too. But Grocery spends should be pretty minimal.

What a monster of a project.

Now I'm off to copy it up and tape it to the inside of my cupboard door so that I know exactly what I'm doing.

Think that calls for another brew up!!:j

Memorygirl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing