IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Do I have a valid defence?

Options
Oscar_UK
Oscar_UK Posts: 44 Forumite
edited 11 April 2018 at 3:15PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi All,

Before handing all my hard earned cash to these Highwaymen, can anyone tell me if, looking at these photos I have a valid argument to say the signage was not clear and legible given it was night and was not well lit?

Cheers
Steve

PS. As a new user I am unable to add pictures if anyone has a work around please let me know

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's more to fighting a parking charge than just photos of signage. All PCNs are worth contesting.

We need much more information to give you any detailed advice/guidance. It's best if you read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 first, then you'll understand the game in which you are now embroiled.

Which parking company issued the charge?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Oscar_UK
    Options
    Thanks Umcomaas,

I think I have left this too late thinking it was all scare tactics and they would just give up. it was issued by Parking Control Management in Slough, I answered the initial letter telling them I would not be paying the demand as I felt there was insufficient signage and the charge was disproportionate. I have ignored all subsequent letters and unfortunately have misplaced them. I have received today a claim form from CCBC Northampton and was wondering if it was worth fighting.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course it is worth fighting.

You now need to move on to post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread, where guidance through the court processes is described in the greatest detail.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Oscar_UK wrote: »
    PS. As a new user I am unable to add pictures if anyone has a work around please let me know
    Use a hosting site like tinypic or imgur and then post a broken link such as: -
    hxxp://tinypic...... and someone will make the link live after checking the image is "OK"
  • Oscar_UK
    Options

Thanks Le-Kirk,

Here are the duff links

hxxp://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/Oscar__UK/20170420_083203.jpg

hxxp://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/Oscar__UK/20170420_082859.jpg

• Umkomaas
    Options
    http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/Oscar__UK/20170420_083203.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa330/Oscar__UK/20170420_082859.jpg

Looking at the second photo, there seems to be a public road sign showing. Are you sure the section on which the parking event occurred isn't part of the public highway?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Oscar_UK
    Options
    It was just a strip of wasteland next to the road I just thought it was part of the highway.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Oscar_UK wrote: »
    It was just a strip of wasteland next to the road I just thought it was part of the highway.

You need to get the precise 'address' of the parking spot, then check very carefully with the local authority. If it is part of the public highway, the PPC has no authority to issue ticke there, nor to access your data from the DVLA.

Check it out - it's a definite get out of jail card if it is public highway.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whoa that bit of Slough has changed since I was last there! Google Maps is your friend. No PCM signs up in 2008, but where they are knitted with the 2017 images, the PCM signs suddenly appear.

If you look at the images you'll see that there is a tarmac strip.
    That will, on balance of probabilities, be where the public road ends and the private begins.

There is still adequate basis to argue that there is no clear signage at the perimeter of the private land and the sign nearest the o/p's car is lost in a forest of signs.

If you look at the End Zone sign, that is no longer in position. It has clearly been uprooted from somewhere else.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, as Johnersh suggests, this 2008 GSV image seems to show the boundary between public and private.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure