Credit Card Purchase Protection Abroad

Options
2»

Comments

• spluff
    spluff Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well they finally got back to me 10 days back and they passed me information on to shipping company.....

The shipping company does not deliver to Leeds OR Hull it will be delivering to Felixstowe. Obviously there will be a greater expense to transport goods from there.

I told them I am not happy about having to pay more to organise delivery from another port and they haven't got back again. I am not happy about this can I speak with the credit card company to get a refund?

Thank you
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    spluff wrote: »
    Well they finally got back to me 10 days back and they passed me information on to shipping company.....

The shipping company does not deliver to Leeds OR Hull it will be delivering to Felixstowe. Obviously there will be a greater expense to transport goods from there.

I told them I am not happy about having to pay more to organise delivery from another port and they haven't got back again. I am not happy about this can I speak with the credit card company to get a refund?

Thank you

Most likely.

You purchased the item on the 14th May so unless you have a specific delivery date that:

1) is documented; and
    2) has yet to pass

then you have dispute rights under goods not received on both MasterCard and Visa. The card issuer could also look at Not As Described as the merchant wants to change the delivery address (although we know the reasons why).

Seems easy enough to me
  • spluff
    spluff Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers eco...

On the invoice it states 2 months and the Port Leeds.

So if we want to organise a refund with the credit card company how do you go about doing it?

Thank you
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers eco...

On the invoice it states 2 months and the Port Leeds.

So if we want to organise a refund with the credit card company how do you go about doing it?

Thank you

The two month thing might be an issue, although when its an approximate its not usually binding.

Might be best for them to hang the dispute on the delivery destination.

Just call the customer services number on your credit card and say you want to raise a dispute and they will talk you through the process.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes we were given 2 months from purchase - 1 month to make and 1 month to ship
    (they dont deliver to house, just to port then you have to organise delivery from port)
    I note that we are still only in the second month since purchase, and you were aware that you would need to arrange forwarding to your address from a port, and probably clearance procedure.

It's likely that familiarity with UK geography and shipping procedure in general, also perhaps timely email communication in a foreign language, is not amongst the greatest skills of a shop producing such artesanal works. You also may not have much experience of receiving items shipped from overseas. So I would suggest that you might make some allowances in expectation of timeframe, communication and delivery point, before claiming back payment for a specially ordered piece that is likely to be already created and may already have been shipped (?).

The one month to ship is about right, 25 days or so from Haiphong or Danang to Felixstowe, with a few days processing and transship in Singapore or Port Kelang.

The Vietnamese are not particularly noted for dishonesty, more the opposite perhaps, but in Asia things can often take longer that estimated, and administrative red tape can often cause temporary obstacles. Perhaps the shipment cannot be booked before work on the item is completed, then there is a week or more before a bookable vessel departure.

Different shipping lines vary in destination points, one might have a bonded warehouse point in Leeds, but now the shop's shipping agent may be using another. How do you intend to arrange document processing and clearance at your end? When you receive shipment confirmation or papers you may be able to contact the shipping line or their freight forwarding agent for advice about delivery and cost, which might be minimal.

Or are you actually regretting your purchase and looking for a way out, regardless of the possible losses to the shop and craftsmen..?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport