IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Civil enforcement ltd county court claim form

Options

Comments

• Pcnhater_2
    Pcnhater_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I'll revisit it to refresh my memory. I just find it astonishing that when the ticket is cancelled thats not the end of it right there. Sooner these PPC scammers get shut down the better.

Cheers for the signposting;)
  • Pcnhater_2
    Options
    Hi this is the first attempt at my defence. Maybe a bit detailed but that is the story of what happened. My main defence points are the ticket was wrongly issued for one and two that i was in no way at fault for that happening. Thats why I've explained everything as it happened. I couldn't find a defence that matched my particular set of circumstances to base mine on so based mine on Bargepoles concise defence.

I wasnt sure about the additional costs so just put ?? until one of you kind people could advise me. the claim form states amount claimed, court fee & legal rep costs. Also now it has got to this stage of proceedings the original £100 they were asking for has nearly doubled so I'm a bit confused which sum to enter. Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

One last question, is point 4 relevant to my case? I think it does as the golf club has asked for the PCN to be cancelled but I'm not completely sure.

In The County Court
    Claim No: XXXXXXX
    Between
    Civil Enforcement Ltd (Claimant)

-and-

XXXXXXX (Defendant)

1. The Defendant was the registered keeper and driver of vehicle registration number XXXXXXX on the material date. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The facts of the matter are that the Defendant is a regular customer of XXXXXX golf club and has parked in their car park on many occasions over the past 15 years. On the day in question the defendant noticed new parking signs had been placed on lamp posts around the car park. The text on these signs and the height they were placed at made them impossible to read from a passing vehicle. the defendant reported to the club house as usual and asked the staff of the golf club what he needed to do in regards to the new parking system. The defendant was informed by the staff member that his vehicle registration number had to be entered into the touchscreen located on the wall behind the bar. the defendant was then instructed to write his vehicle registration on a piece of paper and told that a member of staff would enter it into the touchscreen when they were less busy. The defendant complied with this request then went to start his round of golf. After receiving a parking ticket from the claimant the defendant replied to the claimant providing evidence of his online booking at the golf club for the day and time of the alleged offence, showing that the defendant was a paying customer and was entitled to park there. The claimant insisted that the defendant was still liable to pay. The golf course itself has e mailed the claimant to have the parking ticket cancelled and to admit full responsibility for the defendants vehicle registration not being entered correctly on the day in question.

3. Accordingly, it is denied that the Defendant breached any of the Claimant's purported contractual terms, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

4. The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient interest in the land or that there are specific terms in its contract to bring an action on its own behalf. As a third party agent, the Claimant may not pursue any charge, unless specifically authorised by the principal. The Defendant has the reasonable belief that the Claimant does not have the authority to issue charges on this land in their own name, and that they have no right to bring any action regarding this claim.

5. The Defendant has the reasonable belief that the Claimant has not incurred £?? costs to pursue an alleged £100 debt. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, in Schedule 4, Para 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper, in this case £100.

6. In summary, the Claimant's particulars disclose no legal basis for the sum claimed, and the Court is invited to dismiss the claim in its entirety.

Statement of Truth:

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Name
    Signature
    Date
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 April 2019 at 1:51PM
    Options
    How about this?

Remember that this is just the defence stage and your evidence email DOES NOT do with it, that comes later at WS stage (see NEWBIES thread):
    Pcnhater wrote: »
    In The County Court
    Claim No: XXXXXXX
    Between
    Civil Enforcement Ltd (Claimant)

-and-

XXXXXXX (Defendant)

DEFENCE
    1. The Defendant was the registered keeper and driver of vehicle registration number XXXXXXX on the material date. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The facts of the matter are that the Defendant is a regular customer of XXXXXX golf club and has parked in their car park on many occasions over the past 15 years. On the day in question the Defendant noticed new parking signs had been placed on lamp posts around the car park. The text on these signs and the height they were placed at made them impossible to read from a passing vehicle, and the small print could not be discerned even when standing near a sign.

2.1. The Defendant reported to the club house as usual and asked the staff of the golf club what he needed to do in regards to the new parking system. The Defendant was informed by the staff member that his vehicle registration number had to be entered into the touchscreen located on the wall behind the bar. The Defendant was then instructed to write his vehicle registration on a piece of paper and told that a member of staff would enter it into the touchscreen when they were less busy. The Defendant complied with this request then went to start his round of golf.

3. After receiving a parking ticket from the Claimant, the Defendant replied to the Claimant, providing evidence of his online booking at the golf club for the day and time of the alleged offence, showing that the Defendant was a paying customer and was entitled to park there. The Claimant insisted that the defendant was still liable to pay.

4. The golf course itself has emailed the Claimant to have the parking ticket cancelled, and the golf club has admitted full responsibility for the Defendant's vehicle registration not being entered correctly on the day in question. The Defendant was copied into that email and will produce it in evidence.

5. Accordingly, it is denied that the Defendant breached any of the Claimant's purported contractual terms, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

6. The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient interest in the land or that there are specific terms in its contract to bring an action on its own behalf.

7. Even if it is proven that the Claimant has the necessary authority, in general, then it cannot be claimed that there is a 'commercial justification' for issuing parking charge notices to golf club patrons, fully distinguishing this case from Parking Eye Ltd v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 ('the Beavis case'). Not only were the signs unclear, but the golf club owner has stated in writing that he does not support the ticketing of the Defendant. The golf club - being the landowner/leaseholder in possession - does not support the conduct of this out of control contractor, and the owner remarked that he is livid about the claims and harassment against club members.

8. Further, there was no 'relevant contract or obligation' that was breached by any action of the Defendant, and the signage also failed the test for clarity and prominence set by the Beavis case. The penalty represents neither a necessary deterrent, nor an understandable ingredient of a scheme serving legitimate interests. Thus, the charge is unrecoverable, and indeed unconscionable, given the facts of this case and the Beavis case is distinguished.

9. BPA Code of Practice which binds this Claimant, has mandatory rules about extra signage for new restrictions, at 18.10:
    ''Where there is a change in the terms and conditions that materially affects the motorist then you must make these terms and conditions clear on your signage. Where such changes impose liability where none previously existed then you must consider a transition to allow regular visitors to the site to adjust and familiarise themselves with the changes. Best practice would be the installation of additional/temporary signage at the entrance and throughout the site making it clear that new terms and conditions apply. This will ensure such that regular visitors who may be familiar with the previous terms become aware of the new ones.''

10. It is denied that the Claimant’s signage - such as it was - sets out the terms in a sufficiently clear manner which would be capable of binding any reasonable person reading them. There is no ‘Red Hand Rule’ style warning giving appropriate prominence to the onerous risk of being bound by terms that introduce a 'hidden pitfall or trap' (Beavis case wording from the Supreme Court) that leads to a penalty that was never capable of being agreed.

11. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 ('the POFA') in Schedule 4, Para 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper, in this case being a maximum of £100, if the Claimant has a cause of action at all, which is denied.

12. Regarding purported 'legal costs', according to Ladak v DRC Locums UKEAT/0488/13/LA the Claimant can only recover the direct and provable costs of the time spent on preparing the claim in a legal capacity, not any administration costs allegedly incurred by already remunerated clerical staff. Not only are such costs not permitted (CPR 27.14) but the Defendant believes that the Claimant has not incurred any case-specific legal costs, because no solicitor is likely to have supervised this current batch of cut & paste claims at all and this Claimant uses an in house administrative team. It is noted that no named solicitor has signed the claim form.

13. It is an abuse of process for the Claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim that it is not entitled to recover. The acid test is whether the conduct permits of a reasonable explanation, but the Defendant avers it cannot. Claims such as this have recently been struck out by County Courts for reasons of: ''Substantial charge additional to the parking charge. Additional charge not recoverable under the POFA, Pre-action Protocol and CPRs...this is an abuse of process.''

14. Even if letters were sent by any third party, debt collection agencies act on a no-win-no-fee basis for parking operators, therefore no costs or damages have been incurred, in truth. Nor can a parking operator add any 'damages' to the PCN sum, not even if a further sum is mentioned on signage, because this would exceed the maximum parking charge (£100). Any additional charge for damages/indemnity costs (howsoever described) for parking on private land is not recoverable under the BPA Code of Practice and/or the POFA Schedule 4, nor with reference to the CPRs, the pre-action protocol for debt claims and the judgment in the Beavis case.

15. It was held in the Supreme Court in Beavis (where £85 was claimed, and no more) that a private parking charge already includes a very significant and high percentage in profit and more than covers the costs of running an automated regime of template letters (including any pre-action 'debt recovery' letters which are all part of a template chain). Thus, there can be no 'damages' to pile on top of any parking charge claim, and the Defendant asks that the Court takes judicial notice of this industry's repeated abuse of consumers' rights and remedies by attempting double recovery.

16. In summary, it is the Defendant’s position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using the case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

STATEMENT OF TRUTH
    The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

SIGNED

DATE
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Pcnhater_2
    Options
    Wow thats great. Thanks Coupon-mad. So i'll add all that to my defence and correct the typos right?

Just out of interest would a judge expect you to go through each individual point on the day?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Yes they will expect you to outline your defence and your Witness Statement that comes later. This is just the easy bit!
  • Pcnhater_2
    Options
    The easy bit:eek: how much more detail is the WS going to have? Do you think with the golf club admitting fault that this will actually have its day in court? I just cant imagine what their case is going to be built on after the golf clubs e mail.

Thanks again Coups:j
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I expect if they have any sense they'll discontinue before a hearing, but not yet.

See the NEWBIES thread or ANY other of the zillions of court threads that are ahead of you, for the equally easy WS stage (just needs the story told in the first person, and your evidence).

See the NEWBIES thread for all stages including how to complete the DQ.
  • Pcnhater_2
    Options
    Ah ok that sounds less daunting then. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted on any updates.:j
  • Pcnhater_2
    Options
    Hi all.

Well lastest update is good news. Golf club manager forwarded me an email from PPC saying they have agreed to cancel the PCN.:j

Now obviously one could assume thats the end of it but could any of you kind folk advise me. Do i still need to submit my defence etc?

As usual any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 5 April 2019 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Yes!

Defend, you MUST, until you know the claim is discontinued.

This costs you nothing and is just a case of emailing the signed/dated defence to the CCBCAQ email over the weekend. You must cover your back, in case.

Change #4 to this:

4. The Golf Club Manager has emailed the Claimant to have the parking ticket cancelled, and the golf club has admitted full responsibility for the Defendant's vehicle registration not being entered correctly on the day in question. The Defendant now holds a second email from the Golf Club Manager, who has forwarded an email from this Claimant, stating unequivocally that they have agreed to cancel the unfair parking charge. The Defendant will produce these emails in evidence should this Claimant proceed to trial, and will be claiming all related pre-action and post-action costs on the indemnity basis pursuant to Civil Procedure Rule 27.14(2)(g), should this Claimant's conduct be so vexatious and unreasonable as to fail to discontinue this claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure