Travel sickness tip

Options
Not sure where to put this but I hope this will hit people who'll find it useful - and if it's entirely inappropriate the Mods can move it somewhere else!

To prevent travel sickness, stick a strip of plaster just behind the lower part of each ear. Micropore is quite good because it doesn't leave too much sticky residue behind, and it's barely visible. Try not to catch too much hair under the plaster: that can be uncomfortable.

Best to do this before the journey starts, but it can be done en route, and in an emergency you can achieve the same effect by applying firm pressure behind the lower part of each ear with your fingers.

I would guess it works because the ears are so integral to the balance mechanism, and this must 'firm up' the internal pressure. But it is the best remedy I have ever tried.

In my youth I suffered from appalling travel sickness: vomiting on buses, coaches and cars on a regular basis. Tablets didn't help, nor did sitting on newspaper. Occasionally sticking the tip of my tongue in the hole in a polo or having a 'who can make their refresher last the longest' would keep it at bay, but not indefinitely. I still can't read in a moving car, and even map-reading is a bit of a trial.
Acupressure bands were unheard of when , and having tried them since for morning sickness I'd say they work until you have to take them off to restore circulation to your hands. And they're not cheap, and if you put them on children they will fiddle with them and move the button.

I must confess I've never tried this on a boat or plane because I don't usually get air or seasick, so don't throw the other remedies out just yet ...

But try the sticking plaster!
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• Plumpud_3
    Plumpud_3 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    I used to suffer with travel sickness but grew out of it. My eldest Daughter was the same. Now my second daughter has just started with it.

I tried accupressure bands during my last pregnancy as a last resort suggested by my Midwife. Usually spend 3 months+ feeling very queasy. Can only face croissants and butter, ginger biscuits and mineral water (and vitamin tablets), and lose a lot of weight. The accupressure bands were nothing short of a minor miracle.

So when I saw some childrens' accupressure bands half price in Boots, I bought them. So far on long journeys they have worked. BUT she constantly asks if she can take them off as they itch and irritate because they are tight.

I shall try the micropore trick on the next long journey to see if it works, thanks. :):)

You are right about the ears playing a part in the travel sickness. It is to do with the balance mechanism tricking the mind. The eyes play a part too. If you sit in the front and don't look out of the side, the scenery doesn't rush past as fast. Concentrating does help too. Don't read, but I find playing simple card games help. Such as pontoon, rummy, snap or solitaire. They seem to occupy the mind.

Also if driving with travel sick children, try driving at night /late evening, so that they sleep. If they are awake, try stopping every 45 - 60 mins so that they can get out and walk around for 5 mins. That seems to help too.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good tips from Savvy Sue.

My tip for boat trips is to take some McVities Ginger Nut biscuits. I've taken them on every boat trip I've made (outside the UK too) and they're always welcomed by the group we join.

They help you to make new friends/break the ice (even with people who don't speak your language), who can resist a biccy?

If someone has vomited, they help to take the taste away.

Sometimes, hunger pangs can make you feel travel sick......so a ginger biccy will help.

Ginger is very good for travel sickness.........especially for the blokes who refuse to take any medication. ::)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also if driving with travel sick children, try driving at night /late evening, so that they sleep.  If they are awake, try stopping every 45 - 60 mins so that they can get out and walk around for 5 mins.  That seems to help too.
    Tried that: they vomit the moment they wake up ... and are usually too asleep to get out of the car first ;D
  • shazrazmataz
    shazrazmataz Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My children always get nose bleed on long journeys, any suggestiona as how to prevent this ? :'(
    Shaz xx
    Living & lovin' life 'down under'.
    There Comes A Point In Your Life When You Realise Who Matters, And Who Never Did, And Who Always Will. So Don't Worry About People In The Past There's A Reason Why They Didn't Make It Into Your Future............
  • debbiet
    debbiet Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I've had motion sickness forever, now 34. I can't walk past a coach without feeling sick. I can only travel in the back of a car for about 20 mins but I'm fine if I'm driving. I get horrifically seasick (even lookin over the edge of the pier). I'm ok flying once we're up there, it's the taking off and landing that knock me. Certainly can't read in any form of transport, even a glance at the paper starts the sickness. tablets make me feel sick without avtually being sick. So I will definately give your idea a try.

Personally, i find that if i can(not possible in the air for obvious reasons!) look out the front window of a car etc rather than the side window, that helps me a lot.

On a positive note, motion sickness is meant ( or so I was told by a teacher) to be a sign of intelligence!!!

Any miracle cures, please email me.
    Debs
  • sparky61
    sparky61 Posts: 10,422 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I find that Rescue Remedy works for me.
    Just a few drops on the tongue.
    Available from chemists and health food shops. :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    Well I shall be off to buy Rescue Remedy tomorrow: I have problems with my ears and last summer was laid low for several weeks with nausea and dizziness. Today it started again - maybe it's something I ate but it feels just like last year.

Fortunately, having recently started this thread, I remembered the sticking plaster trick and I think it has helped: at least I have only thrown up once and was able to move again after about an hour. A few judiciously nibbled ginger biscuits have contributed to my cure.

I'll be sleeping with my ears stuck tonight and will either report back tomorrow or spend the day in bed :(
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    My children always get nose bleed on long journeys, any suggestiona as how to prevent this ?    :'(
    that's a new one on me: mine just get lots of nosebleeds in the summer.

So, keeping them cool may help. Do they get advance warning? If they do, carry wet flannels in a small coolbag, to be applied to the back of the neck. They'll also be useful for helping slow the nosebleed down and for cleaning up afterwards. Or buy a roll of cheap J-cloths and soak them before leaving - you can always wash them or throw them away if too disgusting!

Carry an old sheet - or rip it into bits, at least one for each child - for them to put on their laps to protect clothes.

As mentioned elsewhere, COLD water is the way to go with getting the blood out of clothes, with salt added. Milk also recommended.

Finally, I sometimes find the nosebleed just doesn't want to stop. What I end up doing is pinching hard at the bottom of the nose for 2-3 minutes until a large sticky blood clot forms, then let them gently blow their nose and this seems to clear it. I know it's not what the books say, and it can be very messy if they don't blow gently enough, but it works.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get travel sick - ok in car as usually driving, but boats...... :P When I've taken ferries across to Ireland in winter, the first thing I know is that I feel sick if the weather looks remotely bad when I arrive at the port. So - it must be partly psychological because there is no other reason for it and I haven't set foot on the boat. Just being aware of that I try to think about other things and not get over-excited/wound up about the trip. My solution, which works for me, is to take one "Stugeron" tablet (available in pharmacies) - only take the second one if it's really rough because of driving on the other side - get sleeping bag and pillow, plus plastic bag to put pillow on in case other people have been sick on the last journey (doesn't it make you feel crap just thinking about it....), get my head down straight away and go to sleep, don't get up and walk around, that's worse. There is nothing worse than that awful nauseous seasick feeling - it doesn't matter whether you throw up or not you feel wretched. Oh and I pick my place on the boat where I think will have the least movement - towards the middle and on as lower deck as possible. So I think it's partly ears and partly in the mind. :P Summer time is usually ok though - someone told me the water is different so the boat cuts through it different to winter. Get the biggest boat possible. Travel at 3am so you sleep easier. Be calm. ::) :P :P :-/ ;)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • shazrazmataz
    shazrazmataz Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that tip Savvy sue, will try it next time we go on a long journey. :)
    Shaz xx
    Living & lovin' life 'down under'.
    There Comes A Point In Your Life When You Realise Who Matters, And Who Never Did, And Who Always Will. So Don't Worry About People In The Past There's A Reason Why They Didn't Make It Into Your Future............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure