Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• ElleWoods
    Options
    Been catching up on this thread over the last week or so. I haven't been around much due to one thing or another - school holidays, work, etc. I'm back in the game though, getting my motivation back and I'm ready to move forwards.

LessonLearned I'm so, so sorry to read of your husband's death :( . You're so strong and motivational on here, have clearly always looked after your husband and boys - I hope you're taking a bit of time to look after you for a while. My thoughts are with you.
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I was watching a video of a woman who had built a business in space of two years and turned over 100k in past year...and her profit was about 95k of that because it was all internet based advertising and e book selling kind of thing

Kayalana What was that video, please? It sounds inspirational. I love reading about how others make it work. However maybe if I spent more time actually doing than reading, I might get somewhere! :rotfl:

I want to start a website but am wondering if anyone has any advice about the right order to do things in? I'm going to use Wordpress.org to set it up but with my own URL and a purchased theme. I know the URL I want and it's available, and I know the theme I want to buy, but who should I host it with? In what order do I do it all? Do I start the Wordpress.org site, then buy the URL and theme and add them in? At which point do I need the hosting? I know this is basic stuff but apart from an old Wordpress.com blog, I've never set a website up before, so I'd be more than grateful for any advice.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kaya - you're doing brilliantly to be approaching £1k!!! I'm really pleased for you.

And videos - if you've got stuff that people want to watch, then thats even better, as you say, videos are scalable, its simply about the number of people watching them - if people buy products that you're recommending, or follow instructions that you're giving, that sort of thing.

As for the peep group - its as much for you as the toddlers - don't be scared! Its normal to want company, and to get feedback about stuff from people facing the same things that you are - thats why we have this thread about starting new income strands, after all!

I've opened that mse thread, about the youtube vids, and I'll read it in a bit :)

SoftKittyWarmKitty - I don't think I'm qualified to give detailed advice about the order to do things in, except to say this - if you know the URL you want, buy it now! From someone cheap and reputable, like 123reg. Can't harm, and its usually a cheap thing to do.

As for me - making the designs I want is *much* harder than I thought it would be :o I'm great with ideas, I really am, but the detail work to turn them into reality ... thats another story :o:rotfl: I'm off out soon, so can't do it today either. Getting a bit frustrated with it all, but these are the only ways forward. Going to read that youtube thread now.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • HopScotch
    Options
    Long time lurker for nearly three years, thought it was about time I introduced myself and said hello!

I'm 22 and I'm currently in my final year of studying Economics at university. Hoping to graduate next June, fingers crossed.

I can't explain how motivational this thread has been from the start, everybody has made such progress despite it not always being plain sailing along the way.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hiya Hopscotch welcome to Millionaire challenge :-) I'm 23 so young ones of the group :D Hope to see you around more.

SoftKitty - I don't have the link but the womans business was called the girls mean business..tbh though she is just another internet marker sellers.. nothing wrong about that but not something I personally find interesting.

KC - It's always frustrating at the beginning but I am sure you'll get their :D , I suppose it is more for the kids...it was so awkward!! I thought at worst as I'm quite quiet I'd be sat their for 90min nodding my head or perhaps get along with a few...turns out everyone was just the same as me nodding their head along to the group. They all seem like nice people...one got a bit under my skin as she's a by the book person and I'm just a bit carefree but she's nice enough just might find myself nodding along to her more then the others lol.

I'm going to give it a few weeks anyway, as it's good for the kids as you say. I think I made one friend anyway. (Kind of)

FYI since websites have come up quite a bit..I asked my website guy if he would want me to recommend him if the situation arose and he said yes..so if anyone *does* want to go down that route if you just have no idea how to get started I can put you in touch.

It's a bit annoying as with my videos I don't want to tell you the game plan just yet but once it's up and running I don't see a reason why I couldn't share with you BUT because I am going to be in the videos ...well I think most of us would understand the reasoning their.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Kaya - you're 23? _pale_ On the last page, I said something like "you're only just over half my age" ... erm ... scrub that :o you're much, much less than half my age :eek: so you're doing brilliantly times 34,567 :D

Looking forward to hearing what your game plan is once it feels safe to say it on here.

As for me, its not so much the nitty gritty of setting up the businesses (no movement on that, RL got in the way quite a bit) but I've found the right goal for me - its always nice to think "I want to be a millionaire" but its a bit woolly :rotfl: so I've adapted my mfw diary to the new goal. Interest etc on investments I already have will be ignored: the new goal is £60k. In two years :D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 September 2014 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Well folks it's been 7 weeks today, almost to the hour since my husband died. What can I say. I have good days and not so good days. I'm getting there, just pacing myself. I find that the effects of grief are very physical, very rough on the body but perhaps that's just me. I Know I'm an emotionally strong person, always have been but physically I'm not so strong. I guess these things affect different people in different ways.

Anyway I'm taking care of myself, have been to Physio, have started back at Pilates. All very gentle. I'm having problems with my adrenal glands, hardly surprising I think I have been running on adrenaline for years and I'm now pYing the price. Anyway getting lots of sleep, plenty of rest, pottering about, eating healthily and enjoying this lovely weather.

Winter is coming :rotfl::rotfl: I love Game of Thrones ........Anyway I'm enjoying what's left of the summer whilst I can. Have decided to lash out and have a new boiler fitted next Wednesday. More money:eek: but at least we will be nice and cosy.

Speaking of money. All the paperwork is more or less done, pensions and insurances dealt with, so I now have a clearer picture of what my income is likely to be and how much my assets are.

It's looking quite healthy, no real worries.

As for money making well I'm back on the antiques. My lady has already sold some and I took another load over last week. I pay her 30 per cent of the take.

You see I'm finally learning how to delegate.

My youngest son has shown an unexpected talent for share dealing. He's been dabbling for a year or so and has done well.

So I've set aside a small sum, which I can afford to lose, as stake money for him to play with on my behalf.

He has been having a dummy run at day trading and seems to have got the hang of it. We go live tonight. :rotfl: anyway, win or lose it will be fun.

Don't worry. I'll watch over him and make sure he doesn't get carried away. Other than that I won't interfere, again I'll just delegate.

Kaya - well done on the £1k - fantastic news!!!

welcome to Hopscotch.

Anyway that's all my news for now. I'm back in the land of the living and back in the game.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Lovely to see you back, LL.

We've missed you:grouphug:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Lovely to see you back, LL.

We've missed you:grouphug:
    What CBC said.

I'm glad you're looking after yourself - and I agree, grief is rough physically, and when its your husband ... its got to be the roughest. Its good that there's no huge financial issues to overcome.

Hope to see you back again, though, when you feel up to it.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Yes, thankfully there are no real money issues. The worst is behind me now.

Phase 2 of my recovery is now complete and the boys are now safely on the property ladder. They had to buy wrecks but it's a start.

I haven't started house hunting yet. I'm quite happy living with ds2 and he likes me being here. I'm not quite sure where I want to live.

Town mouse or country mouse, can't decide yet. Having said that I miss living by the sea. Derbyshire is lovely but it's a long way from the coast. However if I moved to the coast I would miss my boys.

Perhaps when I've made my fortune I can have a city pad and a beach house.:rotfl: best of both worlds .....

I have been reading your posts and am fascinated by your ideas for Internet businesses. I really must improve my tech skills and my knowledge of how this stuff works.

Half the time I feel quite baffled. :o

I definitely need to expand my income streams. Antiques are ok but are really more of a hobby/lifestyle business, same with property. I can't see me playing with or competing with the big boys.

One thing I have learnt is that when it comes to property developing I can't really do the physical graft any more. It's more a case of just advising now and helping with planning and design.

I've been wondering about going back into beauty and complementary therapies. I came across my old certificates the other day And I still have my couch and equipment so it wouldn't cost me much to set up.

I prefer the complementary medicine side of things and have been looking at advanced courses to further my knowledge. Both of my grandmothers were into this, one was a midwife and doula, the other was a herbalist. I used to "help" her when I was a little girl.

Lots to think about.......
  • evilqueen88
    Options
    I love this thread so much. And I just wanted to say, Lessonlearned you are such an inspiration to me. x
    I have been using Bubblews for a bit and I've clicked to redeem $200 in four parts. I've already receive $50. I am setting up income streams, and training for a better job that I was always scared of applying for.
    Hope everyone is well. xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure