PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

General Pizza tips & Quick Questions

Options

Comments

• jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I usually use pesto (either green or red) instead of tom puree etc. It's tasty so kids might not like it!
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    I've never tried tomato puree as a base - doesn't it overpower the other flavours?

I use a very simple base - a couple of cloves of garlic fried in olive oil, then add half a tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes until it has 'cooked down'. If you don't like the 'bits' you could whizz it through a food processor.

I don't use cheese either - a drizzle of olive oil is delicious, keeps the toppings moist and saves a lot of fat too. :)

The dough is one of my favourite things about pizza so I always keep the toppings simple. One of my favourites is sliced olives, red onion, garlic, fresh herbs, a sprinkle of salt, a drizzle of olive oil - and that's it! No sauce or cheese. This way, because the dough is 'bare', the flavours from the toppings sink into it - yummy!

I cook it at the highest temp my oven will get to - 220 - for 15 mins.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I only ever use puree on mine as a base.I just squirt 1/3rd of a tube on and spread it out all over.Then the rest of the topping on top of that.
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    Hi this is how I make my pizzas

I make the basic pizza dough
    then roll it into a circle or make it into a rectangle to fit on oven dish (so yo u can cut it in squares and share it)
    always make a border around pizza so toppings and cheeses do not fall out
    if you make the rectangle pizza you can put different topping on each half or on four parts of it,to make a border lift and twist pizza between your fingers looks a bit like braid, all around pizza border
    to spread tomato sauce evenly on pizza (I use only passata p.s. buy mine from Asda it's called Valfrutta ,as this is what they use in Italy and I am half italian so .....;) )just put some on one half of pizza and lift dish and tilt in all directions until all pizza is covered evenly with sauce .Do this so that pizza isn't soggy once cooked.In the meantime if you use mozzarella cheese I strongly recommend to drain it in a sieve for at least 10 minutes otherwise it will sog the pizza .
    So next put cheese and then toppings
    enjoy!:D
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    I was taught to make pizza sauce when I first went to uni and when I'm doing pizza's for other people I still make it the same way (it's a very "american" sauce, lots of toms, not many herbs if you see what I mean):

1 can of tomatoes - wizzed to smooth with a wand, food processor or (like I did in halls: through a sieve with the back of a spoon)
    1 onion, chopped and fried off very gently - should be soft but not really coloured
    1 tbsp tomato ketchup.

That's it.

The ketchup is sweet and takes away the sharpness of the tomatoes.... Actually I think it just makes the sauce taste that slightly more "processed" way that we expect "american" pizzas to taste :D - dead easy anyway and rather nice.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is similar to my pizza sauce, which is an onion, canned chopped tomatoes (Lidls - very cheap) some dried basil or italian seasoning & some garlic (either crushed & fried with the onion, or garlic powder), and some tomato puree. Easy
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I personally like the puree, and im not fond of tomatoes tbh, so i wouldnt say its overpowering at all! I dont like soggy pizza either so I try and stick to things that are drier, and I dont like it when tom sauce drips or squidges out and covers my face!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    For two pizzas

500g bread flour
    15g dried yeast
    15g sugar or honey
    15g salt
    and some hot water, about half a opint usually does it.
    dissolve sugar in hot water

mix it all together and knead until smooth silky dough.

tomato sauce, I always have a jar of passata in the house but a liquidy rather than paste like puree will do, slice up some onions chuck in, grind some pepper over it and a dollop of garlic if you like and whatever herbs take your fancy, 1tsp or so.

then I use whatever cheese I like bit of Mozzarella for a treat, get good salami as thinly sliced as poss, peppers tomatoes, as much or as little as you like.

Then I bung it in the oven and beat back the guests while I try and slice it before it all dissappears!

Had pizza last night as a result of this thread and I thinking it has been demanded again for tomorrow!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    For a really quick pizza, use a scone dough. 8oz self raising flour, about 1oz marg/butter, 1 egg, pinch salt, 1 level tsp baking powder, milk to mix. Rub in fat to flour, add rest of ingredients, adding enough milk to mix into a dough. Or just use a food mixer or wand to mix (but to be honest, by the time I've plugged it in I could have mixed the dough). It won't be very elastic like bread dough. Roll out to make a flat base, and put on a lightly oiled and floured baking tray. Add toppings as required. Bake for about 20 mins on a medium-to-high heat. Sorry for vagueness but it's a family recipe!

You can use the basic dough to make a topping for a fruit stew or crumble, or to make a topping for a beef in ale pie, or drop lumps of the dough directly into a stew as dumplings. Or as scones obviously! :rotfl:

Super MS old style tip (from Granny) use milk that has gone off, as it helps the scones rise. If so leave out the baking powder.

:j :j :j
    DFS
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Pooky wrote:
    I never pre cook mine - I picked up a couple of cheapie pizza trays in sainsburys about a year ago - they were value ones at 97p each - they've not buckled or dented at all.....they are wonderful - I've got 3 now - 2 for pizza's one for garlic pizza bread - handy when you're entertaining - especially when they are that cheap.

good idea about the pizza trays!

so do you just freeze them on the pizza tray and cover them with clingfilm and then take the cling film off when you want to cook them and then put them straight in the oveN?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure