Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks bob!

Had some bad news today. One of my good friends was in an accident. She had taken a very elderly relative to the supermarket and they were just about to enter when a people carrier crashed through the bollards and ploughed into them. Luckily my friend escaped only badly bruised but her relative died later in hospital. I only heard late this afternoon and visited her this evening at her daughter's. She was very badly shaken and feeling numb mentally. So awful just before Christmas too. :(

Up until then the day had gone well. We had a lovely all girl buffet lunchtime courtesy of my firm for a colleague who was 70! So I was well fed at lunch. Ended up a NSD which was a positive way to begin December's NSD Turtles thread.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dear god that sounds so awful. I am so sorry. Was the driver drunk? Poor old lady. And your friend must be in bits. Huge sympathies.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Can't think what to say. Your poor poor friend.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Awful. sending love and hugs xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks so much guys.

The driver was breathalysed and was passed. There was also a child in the vehicle apparently. The police are going to have to check the CCTV footage as it was reported to be travelling at speed, but it may be that it was an awful driving error and the accelerator was used instead of the brake. The old lady was very sprightly for her age, had all her faculties even though she was so old - still used to play bridge! So sad - the family now have a funeral to plan before Christmas. I'm going in to see my friend's tomorrow. Of course our Xmas night out has been cancelled for tonight and we will try and re-arrange in the New Year.

Today has been a no spend day so far and looking good still. Although I have just got back from House of Fraser as my friend (who is away at the moment) asked if I could pop in there for her and get me two bags that were at half price for her and she will settle up with me when she gets back. So some extra cashback made on my card.

Looking forward to the weekend - no work or commuting! Putting up the decorations and hopefully finishing off the shopping.
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,376 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh that's just awful news about the accident SSG. Certainly puts my accident woes into perspective. :(
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi there - I haven't posted for a few days - things have been a bit manic here! :eek:

And apologies but this post is going to be a near copy of what I have already posted on the NSD December Turtles thread so sorry to anyone who reads both that thread and my diary!

Thanks to all for your kind comments about my friend - she would be very touched if I was able to convey them to her in RL!

Well!- I've not done well at all since Saturday! I ended up going out for lunch with a friend and also bought my Xmas card stamps - nearly £21 for second class - phew!

On Sunday my sis, OH and little nephew came over to deliver my Xmas deccies. They keep them in their loft for me as I don't have room to store them at mine! We went out for a bite to eat so that came to £31!

On Monday ordered the last of the pressies online!

Tuesday was our team lunch at work. Didn't have to pay for this as "the bosses" kindly pick up the tab! However, in the evening went for my friend's delayed retirement dinner so this came to £40, plus taxis which worked out at £10.50. Turkey lunch and then chicken tikka biriyani! Was stuffed when I got in!

Wednesday worked out a bit better. I went to the dentist that morning for my half yearly check up and hygienist session which is covered on my dental plan. However, the inlay in one of my back teeth came away a couple of months ago and had to be re-cemented by the emergency dentist at my practice. My usual dentist checked it out and said it looked fine and we should "go with it" unless it causes me gip! So at least I wasn't looking at a great big bill for a new inlay!

Thursday I went out with sis and DD for a fabulous day out - trip on Orient Express and lunch at a quite famous restaurant which is all paid for by DD as she bought the day out for my sis and I as our Xmas pressies last year! So nothing to pay here and I used my season ticket and Oyster card to get to Victoria, but sis and I shared a cab home and went halves so with tip my bit was £55!:eek:

We were chatting about Christmas on the train and we have made a pact for next year to finally limit what we buy each other and the OHs (although DD did state that wasn't going to apply on how much she spent on me! This was lovely of her - she is so generous but I would like her to rein it in!). Anyway for the adults we are hopefully going to buy a couple of things to wrap up to give on Christmas Day and then buy a present of a "day out" i.e. theatre, etc.

I was hoping to have a NSD the next day which was yesterday but went straight to bed when I got in from the train trip and didn't make my lunch for the next day. Was running late the next morning so ended up buying lunch. Still it was £1 cheese and onion sandwich plus crisps from Boots and not Pret so slightly more MSE! Went off to DD's in the evening - train tickets already paid for.

Went out with DD shopping today. Absolute bedlam in town what with all the coach trips bringing in the shopping trippers! We decided to cut it short and will go back either tomorrow or Monday. I still managed to spend on muffins and coffees and bought Christmas cushion for DD in Next - £16, but she is such a good, generous girl. Also bought some mince pies and also some shortbread for boss in the lovely cake shop/ cafe they have here. Anyway DD and OH are making crab mac n'cheese for me and OH's DS2 and crab cakes for them for supper tonight (they're on a more healthy diet plan!) and will then sit down to a nice film and glass of wine!:D

Am going back on the really early train on Tuesday morning so I can then go straight into work. Then I haven't really got that much on till just before Christmas so will be really knuckling down to rack up some NSDS.

One positive- I got my Amex credit card yearly Cashback which was £122.68 this year! I was expecting it in Boots vouchers as received in other years but they told me they've stopped the vouchers and you just get the rebate straight onto your card. I always used the vouchers for my make up / toiletries so will just put an extra £122 onto my YNAB toiletries / make up category and this should last for a bit!

Postscript: On last month's NSD thread I ask whether I should buy my new nephew his own Christmas card seeing he is only just over three years old and can't read yet! The overwhelming response was NO which was my own opinion as well. HOWEVER, when he visited last Sunday my sis and I exchanged Christmas cards. He saw this and immediately asked me where his card was! They had previously been over to sis's OH's sister who had given him one from her! I was extremely cowardly I must say and said my own card was being delivered to him by the Christmas Fairies and was on its way! So I had to go and get one for him in the end and post it. Apparently on the Wednesday morning he had already asked sis whether it had arrived...............:rotfl:

Enjoy the weekend everyone.:rudolf:
    🌟
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lovely newsy update...good to read! Your nephew sounds great :)
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,376 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad to see you back. Your DD sounds lovely, you're very lucky. Hard to get in the NSDs this time of year. Pleased all is well with you xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How amazing to go on the Orient Express, it must be fab!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure