PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Long_tall_sally
    Options
    I went shopping to Asdas today where I rarely go because it is not particularly near. I got some things on my list but not all they had sold out of Ketchup that were on offer & also forgot to get kitchen rolls & tinfoil. I also got some things that weren't on my list such as 4 packets of the gluten-free cereal that I seem to have so much trouble now geting from Sainsburys or Tescos plus 2 danish pastries because DD was with me & was hungry! Then popped into the Co Op on the way home looking for some whoopsied bread which they didn't have any of surprisingly but did get a huge whoopsied gammon joint for £7 which I really didn't need but we will have tomorrow for dinner anyway!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    A NSD for me today.:j

Dinner tonight was HM Chicken Pie using leftover chicken from last night's roast, mash, peas and sweetcorn. No pudding as we've still got so many chocs etc to eat.:o

Made bread and rolls today ready for the old routine of packed lunches etc to start again tomorrow.

Off to put my feet up and meal plan for the rest of the week as I've made a note of what's in Fridge to be used up.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• slscarborough
    Options
    Just updated my sig as did a 31.23 shop at Nettos today. They had some real bargains though so I got alot for my money.

They had 1kg of chickens fillets for £4.00!! I am determined to come in under budget this month. I have found since following Slimming World my grocery spend has began spiralling.
  • Tracey2609
    Tracey2609 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to join the Grocery Challenge as well please - I'm a newbie, back on the forums after falling off the straight and narrow a couple of years ago. Determined to crack it in the next 18 months! My budget for shopping is going to be £100.00 a week (I'm drawing the cash out of my account - so that I don't put it on the debit card and spend more than I should which is always tempting! I know that £100 is alot, but I am going to keep a shopping list and a list of possible meals from the freezer and storecupboard. The idea is to eventually halve this amount: there are 3 of us, as well as a fussy elderly cat; a kitten and my dog. Whatever I don't spend over the week I want to pay off the credit card. I've done my first shop of the year - I spent £65.00. I've put £10 away in case I need to get milk or other things during the week, the rest is going back into the bank!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be a Unicorn - then always be a Unicorn !
    No More Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - Joined May 2013

28x UU
  • SuziQ1962
    SuziQ1962 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Me again-have to add to my total as the loo roll eating monster had finished all of ours- unbeknownst to me- so DH had to get some from petrol station £2.30 for 4!!! :-@
    Am thinking of giving everyone their own personal one and seeing who can make it last the longest!
    Have made two lots of flap jack for lunch boxes ,doing some cakes and planning a NSD tomorrow!
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/£26.00:j
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget £28.90/£100:eek:
    January 2012 Grocery challenge £378.27/£240 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
    14/16 NSD in January:mad::mad:
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs :j
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Had my first spend of the month today - though A$da was heaving, worse than before Xmas. Spent £5.97 on Branston Beans (£1 for four - always stock up at that price), Orange juice @ 50p litre, and some fruit and nachos (to have with HM chilli).

Otherwise have plenty in and just need to stop myself buying stuff I don't need.

Cherry Pie - is it just a case of bunging the saus, black pud and other stuff into a dish and perhaps a sprinkling of cheese? If so, you could do it as a one pot complete meal by pouring it over cooked potato wedges and cook through and brown the cheese. I used to do something similar without the black pud, but it would be an improvement to add it I think.
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    katenut wrote: »
    Any chance of the recipe please CherryPie? DH would love that and we've got a whole load of Black Pudding and Sausages in the freezer! xx

Just typing it up for my recipe file anyway, so I'll post it on here when I'm done

:beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Mothership
    Options
    I've been a member for just over a year now, and nearly left a few times because of some folk giving others a hard time. One of the things that drew me to this thread was how lovely all the people on it are.
    I'd just like to let you all know how much I appreciate the warmth and the support you all give each other, its just delightful. :)
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Serves 4/6

12 Sausages
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 leek, chopped
    1 stick celery, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
    300g black pudding, sliced
    8 slices bacon, diced
    400g cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
    200g tin kidney beans
    1 potato peeled & diced
    1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
    150ml white wine
    1 lt chicken stock
    Salt & pepper
    2 tbsp olive oil

Method
    · Fry the sausages in a pan in a little oil to brown on all sides
    · Remove sausages and use oil to fry onions, leek, celery, bacon, and garlic gently for 5 mins
    · Add the wine, thyme, bay leaves & stock and bring to the boil
    · Turn down to a simmer and add the sausages
    · After 45 mins add the potatoes, sweet potatoes and beans and crumble in about a quarter of the black pudding, then simmer for another 40 mins
    · Meanwhile, cook the rest of the black pudding then crumble in to the stew at the end of cooking, and season to taste with salt & pepper.
    · Optional – Fry or poach 4/6 eggs. Divide stew into bowls and top with an egg.
    · Alternatively serve with plain old crusty bread

Haven't tried this yet, but I'm sure it'll be lovely.

Enjoy

CherryPie x :beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    all the best you guys hope you meet the targets set
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure