PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I imagine that a lot of companies must be stockpiling in one way or another which is obviously increasing the amount of money they have to spend on ingredients, components and packaging up front. If their cashflow is limited, this is obviously going to cause some of them to get into financial difficulties and if they're holding back goods and not able to sell them immediately this is will impact on their cash flow and profit.

With public companies having to give profit warnings up front, I can foresee many companies running on very thin ice financially over the next few months. This could impact on their share price. And many peoples' private pensions and ISA savings are invested in stocks and shares, so the impact is going to spread in unanticipated directions for many people.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Good point Primrose.

We have SIPPS and stocks and shares ISAs. We haven't got huge sums invested, but we want to protect our money as best we can.

It will likely be very rocky, but I've told myself that it's long term savings, so I'm sitting tight at the moment. Our portfolio is diverse - we have money in various funds with a mix of stocks and bonds, and a broad geographical spread as well.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BBC2 lunch time today had thread on possible shortage of toilet rolls....if no deal, back to cutting up newspaper and threading through a piece of string
  • Primrose
    edited 14 January 2019 at 6:44PM
    Options
    Vegastare wrote: »
    BBC2 lunch time today had thread on possible shortage of toilet rolls....if no deal, back to cutting up newspaper and threading through a piece of string

Don't go there! Newspaper will just block up your sewer and you'll be spending a fortune on Dynorod ! If it comes to that, cut up some tatty old towels, use them damp for wiping and store in a plastic bag in a bucket until they can be washed.

And before anybody thinks "Yuk", remember you would be faced with similar or worse options if you were in a refugee camp or worse. Cheer up, when spring comes dock leaves will be growing again and you can use them :rotfl:
  • Vegastare
    Options
    Primrose you have brought a big grin to my face....plus I have a naughty thought of dock leaves and my late Gran rubbing them on nettle stings.....just to elaberate slightly, can think of a few policticans I would like to hear (not see:rotfl:) using dock leaves and nettle stings in certain areas.
  • Primrose
    Options
    As my husband grumbled this morning, he would like a general election just in our constituency as he obviously didn't realise at the time what he would be voting for ! But politics aside, we just all have to keep a cool head during this chaos. The sun will still continuing shining (sometimes hopefully) and for many people, life will probably continue pretty much as normal for the day to day aspects of their lives.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the biggest things i think people fail to prepare for is preparing for opportunity.

Im all for storing things and softening blows but the reluctance to take risks can and does have a real impact on people lives. Im not saying invest a load of money in shares or buy gold or anything like that i just think people need to look out for ways to adapt and overcome and not always just to persevere.

Its easy to get stuck in a negative mind set if youre always preparing for the worst. Which can make you reluctant to open new doors. Its worth remembering sometimes that with risk comes reward. For all the doom and gloom that has been reported and that might come to fruition there will no doubt be opportunity for people to improve their position and better their lives. If youre not prepared to do that, well, youre unlikely to be one of the winners thats for sure.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    One of the biggest things i think people fail to prepare for is preparing for opportunity.

Im all for storing things and softening blows but the reluctance to take risks can and does have a real impact on people lives. Im not saying invest a load of money in shares or buy gold or anything like that i just think people need to look out for ways to adapt and overcome and not always just to persevere.

Its easy to get stuck in a negative mind set if youre always preparing for the worst. Which can make you reluctant to open new doors
    . Its worth remembering sometimes that with risk comes reward. For all the doom and gloom that has been reported and that might come to fruition there will no doubt be opportunity for people to improve their position and better their lives. If youre not prepared to do that, well, youre unlikely to be one of the winners thats for sure.

That's an interesting point of view - although I have to say that I think making some sort of preparations actually makes me MORE optimistic. Having lived through a number of difficult times in my life, knowing that I have a "fallback position" is quite comforting. Even when those things you can't prepare for hit (and there have been some of those too) then having a well-stocked cupboard means I can forget about the day to day stuff for a while and concentrate on the problem. These experiences have given me the belief that I can ride out most situations, and also help others if I can. However, because this sort of prepping is second nature to me I don't really spend that much time thinking about it. I read a broad range of press reports to try to tease out my own thoughts about the political situation; I try to keep up with economic predictions both in this country and globally; I keep my eyes open when I am shopping for "on offers" which I can use to add to my store-cupboard; and I try to keep my house and possessions in good order. I actually don't really think of myself as a "prepper" - just someone who is doing what she has always done. In the 70's my exH used to call the cellar of the house we lived in "Dreaming's nuclear bunker" because I used to store my extra tinned stuff down there (no room in the kitchen). He saw the sense in it though when he lost his job and we had 2 small children. So for me it is just common sense to "prep" - whether that be some extra cans of food/cleaning stuff, or thinking ahead so I can use my savings and limited income to the best of my ability - and then I can get on with having some fun in the knowledge I have done what I can.
    I do realise that for some people the current situation is weighing very heavily on their minds. It is a really major concern to feel that your life (or your loved one's) may be compromised if medical supplies are disrupted, and others may hate the idea that life as they know it may change. I can't do anything about those things unfortunately except sympathise and offer some help with those things that can be prepared for. I actually am optimistic that it won't be as bad as many think. I also think that many problems are being blamed on Brexit when they are the result of the ongoing economic problems that many other countries are experiencing - but that isn't for this thread.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    That's an interesting point of view - although I have to say that I think making some sort of preparations actually makes me MORE optimistic. Having lived through a number of difficult times in my life, knowing that I have a "fallback position" is quite comforting. Even when those things you can't prepare for hit (and there have been some of those too) then having a well-stocked cupboard means I can forget about the day to day stuff for a while and concentrate on the problem. These experiences have given me the belief that I can ride out most situations, and also help others if I can. However, because this sort of prepping is second nature to me I don't really spend that much time thinking about it. I read a broad range of press reports to try to tease out my own thoughts about the political situation; I try to keep up with economic predictions both in this country and globally; I keep my eyes open when I am shopping for "on offers" which I can use to add to my store-cupboard; and I try to keep my house and possessions in good order. I actually don't really think of myself as a "prepper" - just someone who is doing what she has always done. In the 70's my exH used to call the cellar of the house we lived in "Dreaming's nuclear bunker" because I used to store my extra tinned stuff down there (no room in the kitchen). He saw the sense in it though when he lost his job and we had 2 small children. So for me it is just common sense to "prep" - whether that be some extra cans of food/cleaning stuff, or thinking ahead so I can use my savings and limited income to the best of my ability - and then I can get on with having some fun in the knowledge I have done what I can.
    I do realise that for some people the current situation is weighing very heavily on their minds. It is a really major concern to feel that your life (or your loved one's) may be compromised if medical supplies are disrupted, and others may hate the idea that life as they know it may change. I can't do anything about those things unfortunately except sympathise and offer some help with those things that can be prepared for. I actually am optimistic that it won't be as bad as many think. I also think that many problems are being blamed on Brexit when they are the result of the ongoing economic problems that many other countries are experiencing - but that isn't for this thread.

From personal experience. Ive turned down jobs for stability that in hindsight can be argued was irrational and even easier to argue was detrimental to my current position. Id imagine its a bigger issue with things like property and investments.

I think storing a certain amount of food is just prudent. I was really glad when cryptosporidium broke out in lancashire that i could just get my bottles of water from under the stairs rather than boil and wait for the water to cool down, particularly with a little one on formula. Just made things easier.
  • Vegastare
    Options
    I think it is whether you are a glass half empty or half full type of a person.
    When you see the excess of foods we have today and the variety, in my Dads day when most were seasonal and the only time you saw a strawberry was in the summer etc. they coped ate well and had a good life.....so being my fathers daughter I am sure I will manage.

My belief is - that if you feel that you are more settled with having ten jars of coffee under the stairs - then do it. As my friend says....whatever floats your boat.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback