We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Battery-powered strimmers - recommendations, please?

Options
GreyQueen
GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
:) Morning all.

I'm contemplating buying a battery-powered strimmer for my allotment's grass path.

If anyone has experience of these, would they like to make product recommendations or warn me off any grade-A lemons out there?

Thanking you in advance. GQ x
Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
John Ruskin
Veni, vidi, eradici
(I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Comments

• Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 November 2018 at 12:17AM
    Options
    With any cordless garden tools, go for the 36v models. The 18v, all though cheaper is not that powerful and they can be frustratingly slow to use. Black and Decker produce a well built 36v model.
    Info here might help
    https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/strimmers-trimmers-hedgecutters-and-lawn-mowers-the-power-to-go-cordless/
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This interests me as I was inches away from picking up a B&Q 18v strimmer for £35 at the week end. Any reviews welcome.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a Makita drill so I bought the Makita cordless strimmer. It is 'only' 18V but powerful enough for grass strimming and it feels well balanced. I'm very happy with its performance.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Titan TTI549GTM from Screwfix. It's lightweight, but perfect for clearing paths and can tolerate strimming against borders/walls/even strimming paving to clear stuff from the cracks - all of which my old strimmer used to throw a wobbler if I even tried it. You'd struggle with really thick overgrown vegetation though

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mowers need 36v but not strimmers. I have a Worx WG154E 20V Li Ion Grass trimmer which came as mower/strimmer combo from Argos but they are on sale at Wickes for about £50.
    The mower runs at 36v using the two batteries provided but the strimmer uses one battery and very little power drain.
    Unlike my last corded B&Q strimmer (which was a tap tap feed) I have had no trouble with broken lines. This one has a system that feeds when you turn it on off and on but does have a manual override. Also like many other strimmers has the rotating head for doing edges.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 April 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    I have the B&D 36v GLC3630L20 I use it for allotment and I get around 45 mins constant use on full charge and on eco mode its been superseded model now lasted 3 years so far never let me down

Edit also has auto spool still using original spool too probably get a few more years usage out of it as I checked it the other day for it annual clean
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Thank you, everybody, that's given me plenty of food for thought.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • florain
    florain Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Qualcast 36v from B&Q 18 months ago. Does all the paths on my allotment + the parking area for mine and neighbours plot on one charge. Not too heavy. Very pleased with it. Uses a line spool not the little plastic 'blade' like the McAllister I had previously. Also cuts down the green manure in the autumn before I cover the beds.
  • lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have one from Lidl, think they have them in at the moment. I love mine, very happy with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure