Reclaiming PPI for a deceased relative

Options
I have recently seen that it is possible to claim PPI for a deceased relative, my late father died in 2008 and had numerous credit cards, store cards and loans etc some of which were in default when he passed and subsequently had been sold to DCA’s. I have all the letters with account numbers that were sent out to these companies to inform them of his death. The debts were all paid or written off so I’m wondering if the debt was sold to a DCA who do we claim the PPI from and how do we do it if we can’t find who the original debt was with?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. Any redress from ppi would be used to pay off debts, they are never actually written off, stir it up and they are gonna rub their hands with glee cos they are going to get paid after all this time

2. You can only complain to whoever sold it, if you dont know and you dont have any proof of a miss sale its brick wall time.

3. Let sleeping dogs lie. See no 1
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the lender cannot use the redress against its own debt then it becomes payable to the estate but the executor has to use it to repay any debts that failed to be repaid on death.

So, one way or another, you are not going to see any money.
  • Thebiguglyone
    Options
    I was going to ask a similar question...
    My late mother-in-law had debts of over £20000 due to credit and store cards and many would have had PPI even though she had taken early retirement die to ill health and would have been worthless anyway.
    I was going to ask if the debt collectors would still take their share of any successful claim but it was answered perfectly above.
    Thank you.
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum died in 95 Dad in 2004. Ive no paperwork but they may well have had loans in the past.
    They definitely had loans with Kingston mutal. I dont know if they charged ppi.
    How do I go about finding out if they had ppi and would it be worth it?
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 July 2019 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Ive no paperwork but they may well have had loans
    24 years and 15 years later, with no paperwork and no idea if there was any PPI involved. You have a very steep, uphill struggle.

If somehow you discovered they actually did have PPI policies, what would your complaint reasons be? It's possible they may even have wanted insurance.

I can't see any complaint going anywhere.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My mum died in 95 Dad in 2004.
    How do I go about finding out if they had ppi and would it be worth it?
    I'd say your chances of finding out anything at all about the finances of someone dead for two decades are nil. Unless you can find documentation in their own archive (unlikely, I know) you may as well forget all about this...

Sorry.
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I understand what you are saying but thats not what Martin Lewis is saying in his email this week?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Marty is something of an optimist...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I understand what you are saying but thats not what Martin Lewis is saying in his email this week?
    Martin also suggests getting the deceased person's credit report, but they won't be available for persons so long dead. Credit Reports only detail the last six years!

Martin's Blog post skirts around the issue of obtaining any information about the finances of long dead relatives, instead it apparently assumes their old lenders will have kept easily accessible records and/or that the potential complainant will have full details from the archives of the deceased person.

As before, good luck trying to find out anything at all about the finances of someone dead for two decades. I fear you'll need more than luck, however.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

And how many words were there in that email?

Now make that email about 40 pages of A4 covering all the variations where it may not apply and would you still read it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure