will stove ignite logs stored next to it?

Options
Due to redecorating i have lost the storage area for my heatlogs. i was looking to store a few packs without the plastic wrap. i have measured and i could get 4 rows that would but up the legs so an inch from the actual stove or three to give a bit more space.

Will this be safe to do?

Comments

• abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apart from the air gap around the stove being necessary to allow convection to take place, 3" is way too close for safety.

Many stove manufacturers have a statement in the instructions about not storing logs near the stove, but where that's not the case I know many people who store real logs in their alcove with a gap of about 10" from stove to logs without problem. Not sure about heatlogs and any additives. If so even 10" might be a problem.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I wouldn't think they would ignite. However as they are bound to get hot, I would be more worried about fumes from the heat logs.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Most heat logs are made of 100% sawdust - no weird chemicals that weren't already in the wood.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you at the building regs , they give reasonable guidance about the nearest distance combustible items should be from a stove.

(and it's not an inch!)
  • Robert52A
    Options
    It happened to me . 40 years ago storing ordinary logs in the alcove either side of a woodburning stove. We had been out and came back to find quite a few logs smouldering gently. No actual flames or damage just smoke. But , another 10 mins it could have been very different. I don't know if my pile had slipped or just too close.
  • michaelgordon
    Options
    so i decided to store some leaving a gap around 9 inches from stove and it seems to be fine, no issues whatsoever. Looks like it will be ok and i never leave the stove unattended.
  • Glowing_Embers
    Options
    Just a late addition to this thread. Please do not ever store logs beside your stove. There are cases of homes burning down due to this. The heat will transfer into them and it amazes us the numbers of people who do so. The promotional shots used for stoves do not help this situation as they regularly feature the rustic lifetsyle with logs stored around burners. As a side note, logs should not be stored in log stores either when the stove is alight as again, the heat will transfer down through these and into the floor. Fine if installed on a full depth constructional hearth but we have plenty of examples of customers confused as to why their decorative glass hearths have cracked...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure