Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 24th Aug 12, 8:19 PM
    • 3,943Posts
    • 2,906Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Noddle trying to scam punters out of 20 a year
    • 24th Aug 12, 8:19 PM
    Noddle trying to scam punters out of 20 a year 24th Aug 12 at 8:19 PM
    Oh well, I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Freebie credit report service, Noddle, is trying to scam its members out of 20 a year.

Apparently my "Credit Rating" is "5 /5."

Credit rating? Credit score? Will they give me six numbers for the lottery too?

At least the important stuff is still free. The charge is for an additional random number.
Page 1
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 24th Aug 12, 8:28 PM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 24th Aug 12, 8:28 PM
    • 24th Aug 12, 8:28 PM
    Knew it was only a matter of time before they'd charge. On well, Think I'll stick to 2 paper copies once a year
    Originally posted by Silky89
    Looks like the other stuff will remain free. Paying 20 a year for a useless number and tips such as ensure you're on the register of voters and pay your bills on time is laughable.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 24th Aug 12, 10:00 PM
    • 10,057 Posts
    • 2,993 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 24th Aug 12, 10:00 PM
    • 24th Aug 12, 10:00 PM
    I don't think exisiting people are affected
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 24th Aug 12, 10:08 PM
    • 8,312 Posts
    • 9,930 Thanks
    patman99
    • 24th Aug 12, 10:08 PM
    • 24th Aug 12, 10:08 PM
    If enough people had clicked on the sponsors adverts then they would have earned enough cash from them to pay their website costs without charging a fee.
    Maybe if enough people were to start clicking the adverts then the fee would be dropped.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 13.74/ 1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF 0/3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 24th Aug 12, 10:36 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 4,172 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 24th Aug 12, 10:36 PM
    • 24th Aug 12, 10:36 PM
    In fairness, the reports and indicative "credit rating" are still free, and 20 a year (while stupidly priced for a pointless number) is a darn sight cheaper than Equifax and Experian's offerings.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • miketaff1408
    • By miketaff1408 24th Aug 12, 11:09 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    miketaff1408
    • 24th Aug 12, 11:09 PM
    • 24th Aug 12, 11:09 PM
    I will be signing straight up for this!

It will be especially great to have another credit score so I can know how credit-worthy I am.

I hope they bring in a score that goes up to a thousand, not 999.

Most experian blokes will have a score of 999, where do you go from there?

If you need that extra push over the cliff, then you can turn the score up to a 1000.

A score of a 1000 so much louder better as it is one more than 999
    • nathand
    • By nathand 25th Aug 12, 12:49 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    nathand
    • 25th Aug 12, 12:49 AM
    • 25th Aug 12, 12:49 AM
    I completely agree with everything you just said except the last sentence.

Noddle do provide free credit reports which you have to pay for with other companies. They certainly aren't scamming people. The 'bolt-on' service doesn't give you a more in-depth look though does it. Your credit report has all the information you could need to come to your own conclusion. The number they give (like every other CRA) is crap and most people here know it.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 26-08-2012 at 9:05 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • pvt
    • By pvt 25th Aug 12, 8:06 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    pvt
    • 25th Aug 12, 8:06 AM
    • 25th Aug 12, 8:06 AM
    I will be signing straight up for this!

It will be especially great to have another credit score so I can know how credit-worthy I am.

I hope they bring in a score that goes up to a thousand, not 999.

Most experian blokes will have a score of 999, where do you go from there?

If you need that extra push over the cliff, then you can turn the score up to a 1000.

A score of a 1000 so much louder better as it is one more than 999
    Originally posted by miketaff1408
    Well I had always presumed it was a logarithmic scale - so:

999 is good;
    998 is poor;
    997 is totally uncreditworthy;
    996 is Greece;

etc.

If there is a score of 1,000 then I can barely imagine what level of liquidity is required to achieve it - and it's probably like Schrodinger's cat: Merely looking at the score yourself is enough to knock it back down to 999.
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 25th Aug 12, 9:24 AM
    • 6,449 Posts
    • 12,982 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 25th Aug 12, 9:24 AM
    • 25th Aug 12, 9:24 AM
    Agree with posters above re the 1000 score.

I mean ONE THOUSAND screams goodness. A GRAND.

Where as 999 just evokes feelings of calling the emergency services for a car crash or a fire.

I hear Wonga et al will roll out an online red carpet for anyone with a score of 1000, and will knock 1% of its 4214% APR automatically.
    • garynuman
    • By garynuman 25th Aug 12, 9:58 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    garynuman
    I may be wrong but my interpretation is that your "credit rating" (i.e. the 1-5) score will remain on your report.

The optional "Noddle Improve" service (20 p.a.) includes the normal "credit score".

But as EVERYONE on here now knows, BOTH are useless to a potential lender.

Gaz
  • broad-sword
    Just back off holiday (paid for, and waiting for cashback I hasten to add), and this is all getting a bit boring now. Credit to the OP for raising this issue, but the obsession with credit ratings is nonsence to me. Maybe my circs are more fortunate than many others, but (once again), live within your means, etc, etc.
    • chris-j
    • By chris-j 26th Aug 12, 1:25 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    chris-j
    How exactly are they scamming. They are still only reference agency which gives free access to report and are now adding a service like the Equifax Credit Expert only cheaper. As others have said it is a pointless service but hardly an instance of noddle scamming, more jumping on same bandwagon as Equifax an hoping to sign up suckers.
  • AngryDog
    Is it possible to get an updated credit report? Each time i log in it tells me the date that my credit report was created is always the same date.

Thanks
    As at End of June 2014
    Credit Cards - HSBC - 9422
    Loans - NRAM 7500 & 12848
    • UsetheFORCE
    • By UsetheFORCE 17th Dec 12, 10:59 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    UsetheFORCE
    That's because it is only updated once a month!!!
    I have numerous qualifications in Business and Finance, Accountancy, Health and Safety and am now studying Law.

Don't rely on anything I write as it may be wrong!!!
  • Solstice_Twilight
    I've had several emails about the Improve plan but the information was so vague I had to google it to find out what I was paying my money for. Having read this thread, and other odds of info online, I think I'll be giving Improve a miss!

Saying that, I've found Noddle to be a helpful tool. My debt issue arose from a bitter divorce and being tied into a property my ex-husband and I had not long since bought before he moved in with his new girlfriend. It's taken nearly six years, but I've paid off almost 10,000 of debt,, that included significant arrears while I tried my hardest to keep afloat on a single income, and debt that my ex left me with (having cleared out our joint account, suddenly moved out and then quit his job to avoid having to contribute to the mortgage and debts in joint name - they just came after me instead).

Although I've been getting green check marks against my accounts for the last three and a half years due to payment plans through debt management, I am ultimately a "Bad Risk" borrower and will stay that way for some time until arrears start dropping off my reports. I've been on a single green bar on Noddle for a year and was terribly excited to be bumped up to two bars last month! It's still appalling, and I know that my bars probably have very little bearing on my credit-worthiness, but it was nice to see some improvement after the long hard slog. Through my free Noddle report, I also spotted some oddities and was able to check with the other credit report companies to ensure they were addressed - without Noddle I wouldn't have spotted them, as I'd used my 30 days free trials years ago and wasn't prepared to start forking out monthly to keep an eye on my credit when I had more important things to pay.

So, thanks Noddle for helping me feel more in control of my credit, but I will continue to be a contented free customer rather than a paying one!
    Original debts: 14,250
    Still to pay: 250 /950 - Lloyds TSB overdraft (although with interest and charges, I've already paid 1,675!)

VSP#150 - 68.25
    • bhoy1976
    • By bhoy1976 21st Jan 13, 11:50 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    bhoy1976
    I just recently got my Noddle account up and running after a long running attempt. I was alarmed at this Noddle Improve offer for 20 though.

I know that it isn't all debt laden people that use credit report websites but its a pretty conflicted website. On the one hand "here is your credit report" and on the other "go spend on all these wonderful offers we have"

A free tool yes, but with mixed messages.
  • sharpy2010
    Well they're a business, they need to make money somehow!
    • chris-j
    • By chris-j 22nd Jan 13, 12:34 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    chris-j
    I just recently got my Noddle account up and running after a long running attempt. I was alarmed at this Noddle Improve offer for 20 though.

I know that it isn't all debt laden people that use credit report websites but its a pretty conflicted website. On the one hand "here is your credit report" and on the other "go spend on all these wonderful offers we have"

A free tool yes, but with mixed messages.
    Originally posted by bhoy1976
    Why alarmed. They are the only CR company offering FREE report ongoing. Why anybody wants to pay them or any other company for a report which is their assessment of you I don't understand - they don't lend you money.

As a footnote the new soft search feature used by MSE is the same one Noddle uses on their recommendations page.

Use the free service, forget the paid one.
  • chrisfurbs
    Charging for a service doesn't make it a scam so why is everyone so dramatic?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 22nd Jan 13, 7:56 AM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Charging for a service doesn't make it a scam so why is everyone so dramatic?
    Originally posted by chrisfurbs
    It is when the service is worthless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,740Posts Today

6,998Users online

Martin's Twitter