Proposed Mortgage Broker Code of Conduct

Options

Comments

• payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I subscribe to the MSE mortgage brokers' Code of Conduct(linked).Comments are for information and discussion and are not financial advice.

ED- like it,

only concern would be whether it would imply "MSE" ownership of the brokers

so maybe " this forum's" instead..+ could be extended to include other sectors (IFA , insurance)/ and non broker advisers

I am a financial services professional and subscribe to this forum's Code of Conduct(linked). Comments are for information and discussion and are not financial advice.

also being less sector specfic, looks less "touting"
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    I like ed's idea too, and it will also serve to alert brokers who join the boards that there is a code of conduct to observe - if they needed clarifcation on part of the code perhaps the code could include a link to payless who could then answer their query so there are less misunderstandings and martin can be left in peace to actually get on with his work!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry Ed, but my problem with that is it doesn't automatically imply the person is a broker. This is where I am up to now on the sig (colour and font included)
    I am a Mortgage Adviser.
    However any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.

The fonts are verdana for the Iam bit and Times new roman for the rest (its a smaller font without taking the size down). However I'm really bad a colours so I'm open to alternatives. I've also tweaked the words slightly so do re-read.

Although im mulling rather than

you need to take my word for it.

instead

you only have my word for it
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin
    Options
    Maybe we add a line at the end saying

I have voluntarily added this signature as part of this sites Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct.

Or are we making it all too long?
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I see you've gone with "Mortgage Adviser"

Although I'm a broker, I think for reasons of keeping these things simple that that is the correct term to go with. It does pretty much cover everyone.

Regards
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How about

I am a Mortgage Adviser who subscribes to this boards Adviser Code of Conduct
    However any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.

Adding more lines about Codes of Conduct seem to make it a little long winded.
  • MSE_Martin
    Options

I am a Mortgage Adviser and follow MSE's Adviser Code of Conduct
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.

I like that Leon, so I've tweaked it a bit. Also taken the however out of the firrst line as it doesn't make sense with the new top line. Ignore the formatting, its playing games with me.

Martin

• The_Bear_6
    Options
    Can I ask why a signature is needed?

Surely all advice on the internet needs to be qualified separately whether it be medical, financial or something else entirely. Including a signature which could perhaps blur that line is wrong in my opinion, of course I would support a way of regulating the brokers on here so that the possibility of quality advice being prioritised is enhanced.

I am not banging the L&C drum, it just seems that L&C are the centre of some kind of conflict.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    Actually Martin I like the colour you have chosen (I love claret red). It draws one's attention without being garish , and, as we will all have the some one it won't look out of place on the thread.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • regularsaver1
    Options
    Can you not just have a sig for one that works in financial services?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure