Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 7th Dec 06, 5:16 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Proposed Mortgage Broker Code of Conduct
    • 7th Dec 06, 5:16 PM
    Proposed Mortgage Broker Code of Conduct 7th Dec 06 at 5:16 PM
    Hi following on from the discussion here I have drafted up a code of conduct. I thought it'd be easier for this to be the first post so everyone can see it so I've closed the other one off (sorry to make everyone jumpa round)....

Here’s my rough draft attempt – knocked out so ignore any grammer type errors, no point polishing a discussion document. And I am open to suggestions or changes.

Mortgage Broker Code of Conduct
    • Mortgage Brokers are very welcome on this board and are thanked for the time and effort they put in to help users. This site believes that it is always better to use a mortgage broker to get a mortgage than go direct to a bank or building society (see Mortgage Broker article) (LINK TO BE ADDED)

• If mortgage brokers want to add a signature about being a broker to their post it should be “I am a mortgage broker, however any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes and should not be seen as financial advice.” There should be no note about the company you work for or any links. Mortgage brokers who choose not to use the signature should not indicate they are brokers in any other way within their posts.
    • Mortgage Brokers may have a single link to their website in their profiles.
    • Mortgage Brokers should not tout for business on the boards. They should not do unsolicited PMs offering services. Not should they ever say ‘see my profile for who I work for’ or any such guize. However if a user requests their service either via PM or post then I have no objection to that and the business generated. Any mortgage broker found to be flouting this ‘no touting’ rule will potentially lose their rights to post on the forum (PPR).
    • To prevent accusations of touting. Mortgage brokers should not simply reply to questions with what essentially boils down to a short answer then a plug for ‘you need to seek advice’. It’s important that brokers aren’t attempting to genuinely help the user with a specific answer, can’t answer the question directly then its best not to answer. There are enough links to where to get info and advice in the forum and the site to enable people to seek advice if they need to.
    • Brokers should be mindful that non-brokers can have valid opinions on mortgages too, and this forum isn’t a ‘broker-only zone’. I would direct brokers to read this post which details the sites position on advice sadly this site cannot and will not adjudicate on ‘what is good advice’
    • If brokers are following rules 1 to 6 code of conduct; this site will (resources permitting) be supportive. If posters are trying to stop the flow of information and disrupt it (which includes simply linking to site articles without reason/reasoning) as opposed to simply disagreeing on info or advice the site abuse team will err on the side of brokers.
    Let me know - this isn't set in stone - its a suggestion to move forward
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 9
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 10th Dec 06, 9:42 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    [QUOTE=.

Some of the discussion on this thread has been an overspill from another thread ,unfortunately ,finer points have been debated.

[/QUOTE]

It does feel like being sat in-between a couple in the middle of a messy divorce

mishka

PS

Thanks for the welcome
  • kenshaz
    They all lived happily ever after in the land of mortgages,because of an imaginary being with magical powers who visited them and granted them what they had always longed for a code of conduct . The naughty boy who had angered all the hard working broker elves was content ,because he knew that all the visitors to Mortgage Land would be be protected from the wicked Spam selling touts who sometimes visit .
    Never again would there be strife in the land of mortgages,thanks to the granting of a wish,but broker elves will always remember the visit from the imaginary being and his hard working team,who never seemed to be mean no matter how much abuse he had seen in the posts of the good the bad and the extreme.
    Last edited by kenshaz; 11-12-2006 at 6:30 PM.
    To be happy you need to make someone happy.

• UK007BullDog
    • By UK007BullDog 11th Dec 06, 3:45 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    UK007BullDog
    They all lived happily ever after in the land of mortgages,because of an imaginary being with magical powers who visited them and granted them what they had always longed for a code of conduct . The naughty boy who had angered all the hard working broker elf's was content ,because he new that all the visitors to Mortgage Land would be be protected from the wicked Spam selling touts who sometimes visit .
    Never again would there be strive in the land of mortgages,thanks to the granting of a wish,but broker elf's will always remember the visit from the imaginary being and his hard working team,who never seemed to be mean no matter how much abuse he had seen in the posts of the good the bad and the extreme.
    by kenshaz
    I am also very happy that there is a Code of Conduct. However it remains to be seen if it will help all those thousands of people who come here for help.

I am also happy to see that things have settled down and that both sides see that here we have free speech and can post answers.

I am also happy to see that the CoC states that the people requesting help go forth and speak to a broker if they are unsure of the answers and that Martin encourages to do this.

I am also happy to see that the board can go back to what it was designed for. To help people.
  • whiteflag
    The naughty boy who had angered all the hard working broker elf's was content ,because he new that all the visitors to Mortgage Land would be be protected from the wicked Spam selling touts who sometimes visit .
    by kenshaz
    Job done, the contented naughty boy vanished into thin air never to be seen again.....
  • kenshaz
    Job done, the contented naughty boy vanished into thin air never to be seen again.....
    by whiteflag
    last seen waving a White flag walking into the sunset .
    Last edited by kenshaz; 11-12-2006 at 6:10 PM.

• EdInvestor
    by whiteflag
    You know I'm sure I saw him over on the Pensions board, just a few minutes ago....

• kenshaz
    You know I'm sure I saw him over on the Pensions board, just a few minutes ago....

by EdInvestor
    That was my Dad (looks like Harrison Ford),just retired with an earning related pension and a lump sum,so he needs some advice.I provided a link to Dunstonh for him ,recommended for the best advice on the forum.I am a non adviser so it was not in breach of the code.

dunstonh vbmenu_register("postmenu_3704436", true); link recommended in a motion by Martin
    Last edited by kenshaz; 11-12-2006 at 5:11 PM.

• kenshaz
    Thanks Silvercar I always recognised you as a moderate with a sense of humour.
    Last edited by kenshaz; 11-12-2006 at 6:29 PM.

• MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 11th Dec 06, 8:31 PM
    • 6,495 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    They all lived happily ever after in the land of mortgages,because of an imaginary being with magical powers who visited them and granted them what they had always longed for a code of conduct . The naughty boy who had angered all the hard working broker elves was content ,because he knew that all the visitors to Mortgage Land would be be protected from the wicked Spam selling touts who sometimes visit .
    Never again would there be strife in the land of mortgages,thanks to the granting of a wish,but broker elves will always remember the visit from the imaginary being and his hard working team,who never seemed to be mean no matter how much abuse he had seen in the posts of the good the bad and the extreme.
    by kenshaz
    I can't believe you are taking credit for the broker code - stop flattering yourself! The code only enforces the rules we adhered to anyway. so, apart from alerting new brokers and forum users to the rules, it won't change the way any of the brokers operate within the forums.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kenshaz
    I am taking credit for recognising a need, and bringing it to the forefront and attention of the management.I was not responsible for the implementation ,Martin was and I give him full credit for that. I will go down in the history of this web-site as the martyr who took on the many and came through it .
    Last edited by kenshaz; 11-12-2006 at 9:19 PM.

• Ian W
    • By Ian W 11th Dec 06, 9:17 PM
    • 3,719 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    Ian W
    I will go down in the history of this web-site as the martyr who took on the many and came through it .
    by kenshaz
    You may say that .................. :rolleyes:
    I couldn't possibly comment!
  • kenshaz
    You may say that .................. :rolleyes:
    I couldn't possibly comment!
    by Ian W
    Ian old brokers will pass the story onto brokers new to the profession,the tale will never die ,they will talk about the evil Kenhaz. It is a David and Goliath story.

• kenshaz
    MM thanks for the recognition ,the thought had not occurred to me ,until you mentioned it .No publicity is bad publicity.
    Last edited by kenshaz; 11-12-2006 at 9:36 PM.

• MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 11th Dec 06, 10:21 PM
    • 6,495 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    you've not told the management anything they were not already aware of - I'd actually been asking for signature standardisation for some time.

I doubt you'll go down in history as a martyr - they tend to be people who suffer or die for their beliefs. But you may well be remembered for a short time. Enjoy the jubliant feeling anyway, its nice to see you happy and "content" for a change.

Cheers

MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 11th Dec 06, 10:25 PM
    • 6,495 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    Ian old brokers will pass the story onto brokers new to the profession,the tale will never die ,they will talk about the evil Kenhaz. It is a David and Goliath story.
    by kenshaz
    You don't really think we think that do you?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

• silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Dec 06, 10:27 PM
    • 39,626 Posts
    • 163,776 Thanks
    silvercar
    Time to close this thread I think!

We have a new code, lets get back to helping people.
    • AndrewSmith
    • By AndrewSmith 11th Dec 06, 10:33 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    AndrewSmith
    Time to close this thread I think!

We have a new code, lets get back to helping people.
    by silvercar
    Exactly, I think respective ego's have been flexed for long enough now.

What is funny is watching how some people seem to appoint themselves as the police of the forums as though they are board guides or moderators.

It really is so transparent.
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 11th Dec 06, 10:51 PM
    • 6,495 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    I can't help but feel as though now Kenshaz has got what he wanted, that he is making light of a serious situation and is in effect trying to goad us into further heated discussion of a personal nature
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 11th Dec 06, 10:53 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    OK I think time to close the thread now.

Thank you all for your help in sorting this. The new code is up and running.

It would be great by the way if you fancied thanking the code of code post. Just so that newbies will see it is widely supported (obviously if you dont thank it thats no problem)

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,993Users online

Martin's Twitter