What is the cheapest mobile home internet option?

Options
2»

Comments

• user225688
    user225688 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2019 at 12:34PM
    Options
    It's £90 all-in with calls and SMS included. If you have a smartphone you can then tether to your PC/Mac without needing to buy a mifi router as well.

EDIT: ohhhh I was going on the assumption it was one year. Was not reading the 90 day thing. That means I would need x4 per year which makes it £30 per month! That is worse than any other offer so far lol.

I see it on offer on amazon for £63 which would make it £21 p/m for a year so no better off (and the added hasstle of buying and changing them) than the 3 standard £21 for 12 months offer.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well you said you didn't want to commit to anything, and PAYG avoids having to go through a lengthy application process. Entering the voucher code every three months is no hassle. Anyway, hope you find something that suits.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mobiles.co.uk and the smaller https://www.fonehouse.co.uk/ do cashback sim only deals.

If you go for the safer easier automatic cashback you can get unlimited 12 months vodafone for about £20 a month, or O2.

If you brave a complicated redemption procedure and fonehouse then if it works you could get vodafone for 12 months for £14 a month effectively. Watch out some of the vodafone sims are capped speed.

Ebay mifi's are cheap but one with an ethernet connection is more. A cat6 one and an decent external antenna and you are getting expensive...

A cashback site will often do an unlimited three sim and an included router for less than £20 a month for 12 months assuming the cashback works, which it doesn't always and they honour the deal which they don't always...

Smarty, Voxi, three and maybe giffgaff are all payg for maybe £20-30 a month.

Smarty will almost certainly have a black friday offer for under £20, others may too.

Its all a bit moot though till you go to the property and check which network gives a good signal and a good speed. No point getting a network thats poor at the house...
  • user225688
    edited 3 November 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    mobiles.co.uk and the smaller https://www.fonehouse.co.uk/ do cashback sim only deals.

If you go for the safer easier automatic cashback you can get unlimited 12 months vodafone for about £20 a month, or O2.

If you brave a complicated redemption procedure and fonehouse then if it works you could get vodafone for 12 months for £14 a month effectively. Watch out some of the vodafone sims are capped speed.

Ebay mifi's are cheap but one with an ethernet connection is more. A cat6 one and an decent external antenna and you are getting expensive...

A cashback site will often do an unlimited three sim and an included router for less than £20 a month for 12 months assuming the cashback works, which it doesn't always and they honour the deal which they don't always...

Smarty, Voxi, three and maybe giffgaff are all payg for maybe £20-30 a month.

Smarty will almost certainly have a black friday offer for under £20, others may too.

Its all a bit moot though till you go to the property and check which network gives a good signal and a good speed. No point getting a network thats poor at the house...

Great info, thanks :).

But how do you mean going to the place and checking the signal with each provider first? Surely I can only check the signals once I have signed up to one of these deals or I'm missing something?

Also when you say

Which one do I actually need (and what is the cheapest to do what I want; new to all this mobile tech)? Btw I have no care at all about the internet speed. Just a 1 or 2 mbps would do me fine. I don't do a lot of taxing stuff on it just a lot of browsing but I do need quite a bit of bandwidth. I checked and I have used average 50-100gb average per month over the last 2 years or so the network monitor has been operational.

But just in terms of heavy use like HD, gaming etc couldn't care less about that. As long as web pages load relatively quickly it is fine so speed really isn't a problem as I know even 512k back in the naughties loaded pages fine :) hell even 128k, 56k is pushing it :D
  • mnbvcxz
    Options
    user225688 wrote: »
    Great info, thanks :).

But how do you mean going to the place and checking the signal with each provider first? Surely I can only check the signals once I have signed up to one of these deals or I'm missing something?
    :D

Look at the coverage checkers and acquire some sims with just enough credit to do a test in your phone. Or if you are only going for a 30 day contract you can always take a chance and switch if its not good. You can probably get a voxi sim (vodafone) with a little credit cheap off ebay and a giffgaff or o2 one to test o2. EE is good but expensive so probably skip that.

You could get a data freedom card for free from three and run a simple speed test in your phone. You get 200mb to check...

I don't know which mobile router you need. Its a jungle with many options. I don't know that there is a right option.

EE osprey mifis can possibly have unlock codes bout cheaply off ebay if you are lucky. They sell for around £10 on ebay if you are patient. Basic wifi only but have a battery and 4g.

A huawei b310 b311? might be little more powerful for around £50 second hand.

If it's just you perhaps you could just tether from your phone using it as a hotspot? Then you could use the unlimited calls and texts and data and only pay the one bill, would be quite economic.
  • user225688
    edited 3 November 2019 at 7:00PM
    Options
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    Look at the coverage checkers and acquire some sims with just enough credit to do a test in your phone. Or if you are only going for a 30 day contract you can always take a chance and switch if its not good. You can probably get a voxi sim (vodafone) with a little credit cheap off ebay and a giffgaff or o2 one to test o2. EE is good but expensive so probably skip that.

You could get a data freedom card for free from three and run a simple speed test in your phone. You get 200mb to check...

I don't know which mobile router you need. Its a jungle with many options. I don't know that there is a right option.

EE osprey mifis can possibly have unlock codes bout cheaply off ebay if you are lucky. They sell for around £10 on ebay if you are patient. Basic wifi only but have a battery and 4g.

A huawei b310 b311? might be little more powerful for around £50 second hand.

If it's just you perhaps you could just tether from your phone using it as a hotspot? Then you could use the unlimited calls and texts and data and only pay the one bill, would be quite economic.

I doubt coverage will be a problem as I will be in a smallish/medium city.

A quick look at the mobiles offer does seem rather involved- send in your phone bill at exactly these non linear dates :D. They just make up these arbitrary hoops thinking you will never carry them out?

Mobiles seems the convoluted ones while (one offer from) fonehouse seems the one that gives cashback instantly and the latter also seems the better option what I can see- vodafone unlimited 12 months with £80 instant cashback which makes it £16 per month.
    This deal comes with £80 cashback which effectively reduces the monthly cost from £23 per month to £16.33 per month.
  • mnbvcxz
    edited 3 November 2019 at 6:57PM
    Options
    I think they both do a choice of complicated redemption or automatic cashback (they send you a cheque). Redemption is harder but cheaper.

Mobiles you have the comfort of knowing its owned by the large established carphone warehouse, fonehouse I have no idea.

Watch out you are not buying a limited speed vodafone sim. Some are limited to 2mbps.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Three unlimited deal for about £21/month has a "fair use policy" - whatever that means - in the terms and conditions.

Think that if you get it from one of their shops it comes with a free mobile wifi router - at least it did about 3 montha ago.
  • user225688
    Options
    fair use policy clause is in all terms on any contract. It just means don't abuse it and hog the bandwidth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure