Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 24th Jun 16, 9:31 AM
    • 78Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit
    • 24th Jun 16, 9:31 AM
    MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit 24th Jun 16 at 9:31 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis has posted a short homemade video with his initial reaction to the referendum result...
    Read the full story:
    'Martin's reaction to Brexit Ė what will it mean for the economy, mortgages, savings and more?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Page 1
    • michaels
    • By michaels 24th Jun 16, 9:47 AM
    • 23,031 Posts
    • 105,096 Thanks
    michaels
    • 24th Jun 16, 9:47 AM
    • 24th Jun 16, 9:47 AM
    Is there a transcript for those of us who can't watch video at work?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • badger09
    • By badger09 24th Jun 16, 10:00 AM
    • 7,532 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    badger09
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:00 AM
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:00 AM
    Originally posted by michaels
    I've just watched it.

He looks kn*ckered and rambles a bit after an all-nighter

Basic message is:
    we don't know what will happen next
    interest rates unlikely to rise in short term
    effect on house prices unknown
    savings probably still safe under £75k FSCS limit
    pound buys less currency so holidays will cost more
    imports will cost more so BOE will probably print more money to avoid stagnating economy
    lots of financial pain, but we don't know how severe
    above all, we must all work together - KEEP CALM & CARRY ON

Oh, and that the people leading us will still be leading us. Which has already been overtaken by events!
    Last edited by badger09; 24-06-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    • BadTemperedCat
    • By BadTemperedCat 24th Jun 16, 10:29 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    BadTemperedCat
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:29 AM
    EU citizens living in the UK?
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:29 AM
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 24th Jun 16, 10:38 AM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:38 AM
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:38 AM
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by BadTemperedCat
    I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
    • BadTemperedCat
    • By BadTemperedCat 24th Jun 16, 10:42 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    BadTemperedCat
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:42 AM
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:42 AM
    I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Wow thanks for your empathy.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 24th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11,251 Posts
    • 10,625 Thanks
    colsten
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:46 AM
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:46 AM

Can you get yourselves UK citizenship? Possibly as a second nationality? It will take some time and cost some money but it would remove a lot of uncertainty for you and your family.
    https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply
    • BadTemperedCat
    • By BadTemperedCat 24th Jun 16, 10:50 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    BadTemperedCat
    • 24th Jun 16, 10:50 AM
    Can you get yourselves UK citizenship? Possibly as a second nationality? It will take some time and cost some money but it would remove a lot of uncertainty for you and your family.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Sure I could but it's really expensive and I can't really afford it. Probably will for my son though as he was born here and considers himself English, and it's a bit cheaper for under-18s.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 24th Jun 16, 10:50 AM
    • 11,251 Posts
    • 10,625 Thanks
    colsten
    No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
    WOW. What a way to show appreciation for the tax and NI those people pay, and how they contribute to the wealth of our economy. It is very sad to see the lows our country has now sunk to.
    • Paul_1977
    • By Paul_1977 24th Jun 16, 11:07 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Paul_1977
    Glad we voted out, thank god.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th Jun 16, 11:18 AM
    • 67,480 Posts
    • 395,337 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by michaels
    .. and for those of us who can't watch video at home (slow BB and no speakers).
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th Jun 16, 11:21 AM
    • 67,480 Posts
    • 395,337 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Any thoughts?
    EU citizens will be welcome to visit, to live/work and enjoy the country.

You won't be turfed out of your house. It will still be yours to live in, enjoy, sell, extend or paint purple if you wish.

When moving to any country you have to do the "what if" for all eventualities that might occur there that you disagree with. So what was your Plan B if the eurozone broke up?

Not Martin's concern. He doesn't even own this website. He sold it for millions a couple of years back and just gets paid handsomely to have his face on the page.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 24th Jun 16, 11:36 AM
    • 11,872 Posts
    • 14,655 Thanks
    eskbanker
    You won't be turfed out of your house. It will still be yours to live in, enjoy, sell, extend or paint purple if you wish.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That nice Mr Farage might even volunteer to come round and do that for you....
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 24th Jun 16, 11:37 AM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    lstar337
    .. and for those of us who can't watch video at home (slow BB and no speakers).
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    If you follow the link, it is mostly all written out below the video anyway.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 24th Jun 16, 12:04 PM
    • 4,195 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    boatman

Any thoughts?
    You are not living in some tinpot country, we struggle to turf out terrorist, I don't see you have much to worry about. Its not about chucking people out, its about having some control.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 24th Jun 16, 12:19 PM
    • 11,251 Posts
    • 10,625 Thanks
    colsten
    You are not living in some tinpot country, we struggle to turf out terrorist, I don't see you have much to worry about. Its not about chucking people out, its about having some control.
    Originally posted by boatman
    If it's so simple, why has nobody officially clarified yet precisely what applies?
    And what would apply to the UK citizens living and working in other EU nations?

Perhaps it is actually rather complex to solve.
    • Eric Disley
    • By Eric Disley 24th Jun 16, 12:21 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Eric Disley
    Although pretty much everything is uncertain at the moment, there was a clear impression during the campaign that EU citizens already living in the UK would have indefinite right to stay. Even Farage said as much.
  • archived user
    Although pretty much everything is uncertain at the moment, there was a clear impression during the campaign that EU citizens already living in the UK would have indefinite right to stay. Even Farage said as much.
    Originally posted by Eric Disley

I don't think anyone has an issue with that as long as they are working and not claiming any benefits.
    • Eric Disley
    • By Eric Disley 24th Jun 16, 12:27 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Eric Disley
    People who have friends, neighbours and colleagues from other countries do care what happens to them. Caring is something that humans do.
    • lazer
    • By lazer 24th Jun 16, 12:33 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer
    If you are concerned about your status here or your British friends status abroad, read up the Vienna convention.
    Your residency rights should not be affected by a change in a country's status after your immigration here
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,106Posts Today

6,618Users online

Martin's Twitter