PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving, it has started

Options

Comments

• buildersdaughter
    Options
    Is it a bumper year for figs? 2 neighbours stopped by with some. I baked half with honey, and bottled the rest. I have only just realised that the Americans call 'canning' what I call 'bottling'.
  • Well_Preserved
    Options
    I think it is, maybe because of the heat. I picked 10 ripe ones today, not counting 2 that the birds or wasps had been at. I've never before picked that many in one yer fatter than usual, and plenty more to come.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I've found all the fruit trees to be doing well this year. Our plums were the best season yet. There is a pear tree that is struggling under the weight of the fruit. We also have a quince tree which 2 years ago we got 3 quinces off yet this year is absolutely dripping with them. Looking forward to making some jelly when they are ready.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    Jam funnels are also really good for filling storage jars with dry goods like flour, sugar or rice

They are also very handy for filling empty loo rolls with compost to start off your climbing beans but so be sure to sterilise it properly afterwards ! :rotfl:
  • Primrose
    Options
    I did enquire on another thread somewhere but wonder if somebody has some failsafe ways of oven drying some of my surplus tomato crop and storing it afterwards. Im conscious storing in oil could cause bacterial infection but freezing it then defrosting is sometimes a hassle if yiu just want a couple as a savoury topping for someth8ng.
    Am also unsure how long these will store safely in the fridge.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Help! Please may I consult the collective wisdom of fellow preservers? A few days ago a friend promised me 10 kilos of damsons and I planned to make jam and chutney with them. On receiving them this morning I was told that they had been picked several days ago and that they are very ripe. Upon emptying them out to rinse them I have noticed a rather strong alcoholic smell and some liquid seepage in the bottom of the buckets they were transported in. I'm assuming they have started to ferment! My question is....is it OK to still use them? I am all set up with all the other ingredients and ready to start but just wonder if it is wise to continue? Should I just bin the lot and ask around for some more fresh damsons?

(I now have a kichen infested with rather merry fruit flies. :mad:)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Damson wine, perhaps?
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Miró
    Options
    Damson wine, perhaps?

Thanks....just had a squiz at some recipes but I don't have any of the equipment or ingredients to do that. Never made wine before!
  • Primrose
    Options
    I hate to say this but you're probably best putting them in your compost heap. unless yiu are physically abso,utwly starving and have nothing else to eat Trying to rescue fruit or veg which is go8ng bad is a waste of your time and other ingredients.
    What a shame though. I,d thoroughly wash any which look as if they can be saved and make a smaller quantity but really it's not worth your time making preserves with ooor ingredients. Sadly unlike good wine, I don,t think they'll improve with age and storage.
  • Miró
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I hate to say this but you're probably best putting them in your compost heap. unless yiu are physically abso,utwly starving and have nothing else to eat Trying to rescue fruit or veg which is go8ng bad is a waste of your time and other ingredients.
    What a shame though. I,d thoroughly wash any which look as if they can be saved and make a smaller quantity but really it's not worth your time making preserves with ooor ingredients. Sadly unlike good wine, I don,t think they'll improve with age and storage.

Well, in the end I picked out the very sound ones, gave them a good wash and made the jam and chutney anyhoo. Ended up with 6 x jam and 7 x chutney. I know I probably shouldn't have as now I will be worrying about the jam and chutney possibly going mouldy in the jars, (will the boiling have killed off any nasties?)! The chutney has to mature till about Christmas so I will have a long time to wait to see if it is still edible. I normally give away most of my preserves but I don't think I will dare with this little batch :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure