Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

Preserving, it has started - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Preserving, it has started

edited 19 June 2018 at 7:31AM in Old Style MoneySaving
137 replies 19.5K views

Replies

• FlossFloss Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would like to buy this book, 'home preservation of fruit and vegetables by AFRC institute of food research', but can't find it on Amazon. Could you possibly post the ISBN number please?

Link to the Amazon page...
  • edited 9 August 2018 at 2:06PM
    purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2018 at 2:06PM
    The mysteries of canning..... do you have to use new rubber seal things every time you can something new, or can the seals be re used? my freezer is rammed!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
  • mushypeamanmushypeaman Forumite
    150 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Floss wrote: »
    Many thanks for your prompt reply but that's a dead link.
  • edited 9 August 2018 at 7:04PM
    WraithladyWraithlady Forumite
    196 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2018 at 7:04PM
    If it's pressure canning, then definitely you need a new seal every time (unless they're the re-usable white one)s. For jam or chutney, get jam lids which fit the jars and use them instead - if you're popping something in a jar to keep int he fridge for a day or two, or it's something that doesn't need sealing (dry goods, for example, then you can reuse the seals
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

Amended with link
  • Floss wrote: »
    I'm not sure a plastic milk bottle would stand up to much jam at 105 deg.C...

I can definitely say they do, I've used milk cartons many times.
  • euronorriseuronorris Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random question. When you sterilise jars in the dishwasher, I presume you do so without a dishwasher tablet in?

Sorry if it's really obvious, but never done it before, and about to attempt chilli jam tonight (my chilli plants have gone mad!).

Cheers.
  • Out,_Vile_JellyOut,_Vile_Jelly Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to the tip-off about jam funnels. I'd been fannying about with a regular funnel; didn't realise you could get wider necked ones. Bought one in Lakeland last night; yes I know it's not a very MSE priced shop, but my reason for a diversion to that part of town were 1) print train tickets from my nearest station (machine out of order so not possible) and 2) buy my type of moisturiser (out of stock) so I felt I needed to buy something to make the trip worthwhile...
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • WraithladyWraithlady Forumite
    196 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Jam funnels are also really good for filling storage jars with dry goods like flour, sugar or rice
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    Jam funnels are also really good for filling storage jars with dry goods like flour, sugar or rice

I use the salt dispenser which came with my dishwasher. The dishwasher is pants, but the funnel is great!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!