PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preserving, it has started

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jplsjgevvlr2.jpg

Pickles made from home grown cucumbers :)
  • MandM90
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    This year most things have gone crazy. I am thinking of making some onion chutney too. And I have lots of jalapeños that I have no idea what to do with. I had thought about drying them out somehow

Can you not pickle them for use with chillis, tacos etc?
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Can you not pickle them for use with chillis, tacos etc?

How would I do that? Ive never done pickling before
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I haven't either Redlady but I have started fermenting some vegetables (home grown ridge cucumbers) and my next project is fermented watermelon rinds. As these are something which you would normally bin it seems extra virtuous to give them a new life as a rather unusual food (gift for a foodie?) and I will follow a Southern US recipe which has the Caribbean spices like allspice, cloves, cinnamon etc. I just worry that the brine involved will make them a tad unhealthy?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • MandM90
    Options

Found this on the internet which is most similar to how I pickle :)

Basic pickling part 2
    Another way to make crisp pickles from chillies is to leave the chillies in a brine of water and pickling salt for a night. The next day, rinse the chillies and poke small holes on the tip of each chilli. Meanwhile, you can boil 3 cups of vinegar and 3 cups of water and add 3 teaspoon full of pickling salt.

Put the chillies inside a jar until it is almost full and leave about 1.5 inch space from the lid. Pour the boiling mixture and leave it to cool for awhile. Remove the bubbles if there are any and store in refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before consuming.

The 2 basic steps are almost the same but it uses different type of liquid mix. Thus, you can choose whichever ingredients available in your kitchen.
    The sealed jars.

Once you have sealed all the jars, submerge them in boiling water for at least 15 minutes. This trick prevents any bacteria that may have “crawl” into the jar. Make sure that the water is boiling before you put the jars inside. Bathe each jar thoroughly so that the likelihood of bacteria to grow is zero.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    A wee bit of guidance please needed urgently.
    I picked 15lbs of damsons from our heavily laden tree last night and that was only a fraction of what is on the tree. I have no jam jars at all and am heading off to the car boot now in the hope.of.finding some and will buy some in wilko if I'm stuck.
    How many standard jam jars will I need for that lot? I intend to skim off as.many stones and skin as possible so that will reduce the volume a bit. I have a decent sized pot or two and a big colander type thing.
    I bought one bag of sugar but I'm realising now that it is nowhere near enough. May have a thermometer but will.use the cold saucer method if not.

How much sugar will I need?

Should I keep picking many more pounds of fruit or just ask some neighbours to come and pick their own? I think 15lbs will give us enough for 2 of us for a year.

Is there anything else I need to get before I start apart from jars and sugar?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rosie383
    Options
    Okay. Just reading back.I think I need a jam funnel. They do one in The Range for £2.49 so that seems like a good investment.
    I also discovered loads of elderberries and have an apple tree laden too so I think this will be the start of trying to make something this year.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Normally one pound of sugar to one pound of fruit if I remember correctly.

Yiu will probably need about 30jms jars. If you're really stuck for jars, make the jam and store it in bulk in a separate large pan with the top of the surface covered in clingfilm to keep the air out. Then decant afterwards when you have jars ensuring no air bubbles remain in the new jars by if necessary standing them in hot water so the jam loosens slightly temporarily.

I tried this once when I ran out of jars and it worked ok.

Son,t let the damsons get too ripe or yiu will lose some of the pectin setting agent in them and the jam will be more runny. Add some extra lemon in the mixture while cooking I'd this happens.
  • rosie383
    Options
    Thanks Primrose. I will need lots more jars and sugar than I'd thought. I think they are just right at the minute. Not too soft, edible but tart. So easy to spot when they go off as they turn mouldy really quickly.
    If thus lot will make 30 jars, then I will just invite people to come and pick the rest before they turn.
  • rosie383
    Options
    Woohoo! Just found a sugar thermometer in the drawer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family