Fines for 'unauthorised absence' from school

Options
Dear all,

My son turned 5 this May 2018 and he is in the Reception.
We plan to go on holidays this july and requested authorisation for early leave from 9th of July.
But we were granted only 3 days authorised leave.Therefore we will be taking 9 days of unauthorzied leave from the school as there last day at schoo wil be on 20th July.

1) If we are fined will it be £60 or will be fined per day basis.?
2) When will the notice of fine will be sent to us as we will not be back in august till mid of august. I would not like to miss the grace period due to not being at home.

Thank you in advance
PS: My son has a very good attendance rate.

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You son with his May birthday is not legally CSA (child school age) until September this year, (the term after his 5th birthday) so they cannot send you a penalty notice. Schools are hopeless with stuff like this and seem to be ignorant of what the law actually is.

It is up to the HT who refers the request for a penalty notice. Please correspond with the school in writing and state that your child isn't CSA. If you're on facebook, please join a group called 'parents want a say' or 'parents against school holiday fines' Lots of more knowledgeable people on there than me, who can help with wording.

Good luck and enjoy your hol.
  • guysl80
    guysl80 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will post my question in one of the facebook groups and see what the feedback.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport