Pet medicine costs - huge savings via local pharmacy

Options
davidsuffolk
davidsuffolk Posts: 154 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 January 2020 at 2:39PM in Pets & pet care
I just need to share this should it benefit other pet owners.

My GSD has just been diagnosed with heart problems and for this he is now on 4 drugs, twice a day for the rest of his life. These are Diltiazem, Digoxin, Furosemide and Vetmedin.The first three are also human medication.

The cost from the Vet per month is £158.92, £71.28, £7.57 and £234.50 (or £472,27 in total.)

Animed online at Eye have the Vetmedin at £60.60 per month so that was a significant saving but the main point of this post is the first two human medicines.

I was told that vet prescriptions would be accepted by most pharmacies. I was amazed to find that LLoyds Pharmacy (who do online as well as over the counter) charged me just £18.56 for a month's supply of the Diltiazin and Digoxin. I find that difference unbelievable and my monthly cost is now £86.43 , a saving of £385.84 or just short of £5000 a year.

Bottom line is check whether any vet prescriptions can be got via local chemist.

Comments

• hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That is great information, thank you. I knew there are different prices between vets and pharmacies but didn't realise they are this different!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The last time I asked about that (admittedly some years ago) I was told that the pharmacy wouldn't sell me anything if they knew it was for an animal. Has the policy now changed?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 January 2020 at 7:32PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    The last time I asked about that (admittedly some years ago) I was told that the pharmacy wouldn't sell me anything if they knew it was for an animal. Has the policy now changed?
    No, i went to the pharmacy for some dry eye drops a few weeks ago which i explained was recommended by the vet for my dog. I should have kept my mouth shut as she wouldnt sell them to me. I get them elsewhere now.

I think if it is a "behind the pharmacy counter" item, that can be bought without prescription, they are correct to refuse. The point is that it is only to be sold with pharmacy advice as to its suitability, which they are not qualified to offer for an animal.

However if it is a prescription only drug, the qualified expert (i.e the vet) has signed the prescription so has decided on its suitability. The pharmacy's function is then only to ensure that they hand over exactly what has been prescribed.

That said, unless there are any special rules I'm unaware of, a business can normally refuse to accept any potential custom if they so choose.
  • davidsuffolk
    Options
    I can say for certain that my local pharmacy and Lloyds both took vet prescriptions (for these drugs) without any hesitation. I also rang a Boots branch while checking prices and they were again happy to accept..
  • fairymoneysaver
    Options
    Any human drugs can be obtained from a pharmacy with a vet prescription, it is just treated as a private prescription.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just need to share this should it benefit other pet owners.

My GSD has just been diagnosed with heart problems and for this he is now on 4 drugs, twice a day for the rest of his life. These are Diltiazem, Digoxin, Furosemide and Vetmedin.The first three are also human medication.

The cost from the Vet per month is £158.92, £71.28, £7.57 and £234.50 (or £472,27 in total.)

Animed online at Eye have the Vetmedin at £60.60 per month so that was a significant saving but the main point of this post is the first two human medicines.

I was told that vet prescriptions would be accepted by most pharmacies. I was amazed to find that LLoyds Pharmacy (who do online as well as over the counter) charged me just £18.56 for a month's supply of the Diltiazin and Digoxin. I find that difference unbelievable and my monthly cost is now £86.43 , a saving of £385.84 or just short of £5000 a year.

Bottom line is check whether any vet prescriptions can be got via local chemist.
    Was the vet quite happy to let you have the prescription to take elsewhere?  I thought they can get a bit funny about that.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,928 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any human drugs can be obtained from a pharmacy with a vet prescription, it is just treated as a private prescription.
    I asked in my local Boots and they told me that under no circumstances will they let me have anything if it is for an animal as they are not covered for any mishaps or illness that the drugs may cause. I also asked the vet if I could get my prescription from them and they said no, I have to call them to re order drugs every month for our pooch.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fairymoneysaver
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    I asked in my local Boots and they told me that under no circumstances will they let me have anything if it is for an animal as they are not covered for any mishaps or illness that the drugs may cause. I also asked the vet if I could get my prescription from them and they said no, I have to call them to re order drugs every month for our pooch.
    By law a vet has to give you a written prescription if you request one, they can and do charge for this though, my vet charges £18.
    A pharmacy will refuse to sell over the counter products if it's for an animal however a pharmacist has never refused to fulfill my dog's written prescription for human drugs. It is treated as a private prescription, whether they can refuse or not I don't know but I have used several pharmacies over several years without problems.
    If it's an animal only drug ie metacam/loxicom pain relief this will have to be obtained from one of the online pet drug companies like viovet or animed direct.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 February 2020 at 5:59PM
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    My understanding is that fairymoneysaver is correct.

Obviously Boots are free to decline your custom for any reason they choose apart from unlawful discrimination (e.g race, gender etc).

Also they should refuse to sell you any "behind the pharmacy counter" item if they are aware it is for an animal, as the pharmacist is not qualified to give veterinary advice and the item can only legally be sold under the pharmacists supervision.

Nothing legally prevents them from issuing drugs in accordance with a vet's prescription. The vet is the qualified person and all the pharmacist is doing is ensuring that they are issuing the correct drug in the correct strength. However, as far as I know, they are not obliged to do so (again unless the real reason was unlawful discrimination).  
  • Pippwhips
    Pippwhips Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My friend got a prescription from vets Then ordered the meds on line which were cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure