PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling house - no viewings

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    antwilson wrote: »
    One of the houses is in a different village which has generally lower prices and a bad area due to proximity to a park. The other is a shared ownership so not really suitable for comparison!!

The point is that they are both sold. Buyers preferred them to your house. The market in your area says that these two houses are more attractive to buyers than your house is.

You are not going to sell for the price you want if all the buyers prefer other houses even if they are shared ownership. If you look on Rightmove like I did you will see that there are lots of houses in your area that are sold. That means that all those people preferred other houses to yours. So what is it about your house that they don't like?
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »
    Nonsense, Surely dressing up the property and removing clutter will give a better impression of the property. Believe it or not, not everyone has the vision to see past clutter and furniture packed rooms/gardens. Why not show off the property at its best? Of course price is key but not presenting a place at its best is madness.

The problem with this property is the price and the location. You can't do anything about the location. Buyers are not stupid they can see that it is on a massive council estate but is priced as if it isn't.
  • antwilson
    antwilson Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The problem with this property is the price and the location. You can't do anything about the location. Buyers are not stupid they can see that it is on a massive council estate but is priced as if it isn't.

Not sure where you're getting 'Big massive council estate' from. Yes it's an ex council house, and is priced accordingly. Similar houses are 20k+ more expensive which aren't council estates. Not sure where your'e from to have a big complex about 'council estates' but in these areas every village has one. A nice quiet street. No Vicky pollards and only a couple of settee's in the street (not!)
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    See this is where you wrong about the rooms looking small. I don't believe for a second any serious buyer takes photo's seriously. When it comes to room size, we want measurements, if the ad doesn't have them - we request them.

I don't because my brain is not capable of visualising distance.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    the positive-- you have a lovely clean well maintained house, it is in a great family friendly state ans overall is full of potential

negatives the estate agent id hindering the sale. the photos of the lounge and bedrooms are at the worst angle. a good house displayed terribly. re do the photos asap. it is making it look bad. hid the ceiling in photo one and get a new agent.

even if you take a 100 random photos with a blind-fold you would come out with superior to this estate agent,
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    Yes that's what we always believed, but the brick part between the houses is actually half/half (we both have outhouses in this section). The boundary runs straight down the middle.

It also runs straight down the middle of what you are calling your driveway. You are parking your cars half on your land and half on the land belonging to your neighbour. To get round doing this your neighbour has created off street parking on their garden but that doesn't mean that they don't still own their part of the drive which you are treating as yours alone.

I know this is the case because most of the other houses in your road have a fence running down the middle of this bit of land. Someone took this out but it won't change the ownership or any ROWs over it.
  • Cakeguts
    Options

This is the picture that shows that it doesn't have off street parking and the OP is parking on the shared access. If you look at all the other houses in the road they either have a fence or a hedge down the middle of this place marking the boundary. On either side of the fence there is a footpath to the front door. I would suggest that there used to be a hedge down the middle of what looks like the driveway dividing it into two. It looks confusing because the neighbour has created their own offstreet parking on their front garden on the otherside of the gate to the footpath.

I can't see why the council in selling off the OPs house would have changed the boundary down between the two houses giving a couple of feet more to the OPs house. What would be the point as originally neither house had a drive just a footpath with a dividing hedge.

I think anyone looking at the house would be wise to assume that there is no offstreet parking.
  • antwilson
    antwilson Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    This is the picture that shows that it doesn't have off street parking and the OP is parking on the shared access. If you look at all the other houses in the road they either have a fence or a hedge down the middle of this place marking the boundary. On either side of the fence there is a footpath to the front door. I would suggest that there used to be a hedge down the middle of what looks like the driveway dividing it into two. It looks confusing because the neighbour has created their own offstreet parking on their front garden on the otherside of the gate to the footpath.

I can't see why the council in selling off the OPs house would have changed the boundary down between the two houses giving a couple of feet more to the OPs house. What would be the point as originally neither house had a drive just a footpath with a dividing hedge.

I think anyone looking at the house would be wise to assume that there is no offstreet parking.

As I keep telling you, I have extended the drive and therefore DO have parking on my side of the boundary. I park my car there every day!!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Who owns the brick part between the houses?

The gate(s)/drives look like you do with the boundary being inline with the door/brick and the right side of pedestrian gate
    Yes that's what we always believed, but the brick part between the houses is actually half/half (we both have outhouses in this section). The boundary runs straight down the middle.

That makes your drive very narrow at the house end.
    The cars in the google image are partly over the boundary.

Further down the street you can see this better where some have put a fence up on the boundary..
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    One of the houses is in a different village which has generally lower prices and a bad area due to proximity to a park. The other is a shared ownership so not really suitable for comparison!!

Round our way parks(any open ground) are a benefit may not add money but help with selling for those with kids and dogs.

You need to focus on what things are stopping people bothering to look at yours.

The consensus seems to be there are places that look better value on paper and people are looking at those first and finding something they like so never get to yours.

I am beginning to think the market is such that most people that want to buy can afford to stretch and get the bigger places.

If really tight they are settling for the cheaper 2 beds(terrace/flats) over the most expensive 2 bed available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure