selling an iPhone

Options
longwalks1
longwalks1 Posts: 3,738 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
we've got 2 old iPhone 6's to sell on MarketPlace, never sold a phone before, so hows best to do it? They're backed up and transferred to our new phones, but should i wipe them, remove sim then just show potential buyers it switches on, etc. or leave stuff on it to show them (apps, weather app etc) then wipe it once they want it?

And is it just the 'factory reset' option i want in 'settings' to clear everything?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Factory reset and make sure you remove it from your iCloud account.

You will also need to find out whether it is network unlocked or not.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Check Apple Stores for trade-in prices. They issue a voucher to spend on Apple items. We traded in a couple of iPhones 2 years ago, no hassle and no risk. The trade-in prices were similar to “sold” prices on eBay.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    And there are also websites such as Mazuma Mobile, Envirofone and Music Magpie (amongst others) who are worth a look at.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • jeanericblass
    Options
    Do a factory reset before selling it don't take risk of exposing your data to the buyer
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do a factory reset before selling it don't take risk of exposing your data to the buyer
    If only someone had suggested this three weeks ago. Oh, wait:
    !!! wrote: »
    Factory reset and make sure you remove it from your iCloud account.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75772077&postcount=2
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Is it safe to trade in at Game or CEX without doing the factory reset process? I have done so in the past, also with a MacBook, and touch wood not had any problems.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why wouldn’t you do a factory reset?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Is it safe to trade in at Game or CEX without doing the factory reset process? I have done so in the past, also with a MacBook, and touch wood not had any problems.

Never, ever, rely on shop staff to handle securely wiping a phone/laptop.

Would you hand over all your friends and relatives phone numbers, email addresses, your bank account details, copies of emails, letters, etc? That is exactly what you suggest by handing over a phone or laptop without securely wiping it first.

You need to read how to do this on-line for your particular brand/model of phone/laptop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure