PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kittie, that's a good idea about the cutting mat. I keep mine (not as large as yours) under the double bed, it's a divan bed but there's just room to slide it under and keep it flat. You might be interested in this about looking after your mat http://angalmond.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/take-up-your-mat.html although I haven't tried it myself!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Two dresses waiting to be altered. One just has to be hemmed and the other has the sides pinned ready to machine and then will need re- hemming but I'm procrastinating as I'm not sure if I really like either of them. Seemed a good idea at the time. I can see myself finishing them and sending them to the CS :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Who was it who said you have to wear a handmade item three or four times before it feels right? I wore my New Look pattern top a couple of weeks ago and fell very self-conscious. Wore it on Wednesday night and was complimented on it. Wore it again today and it feels normal, although I need to sort out the neck closure (I skipped the zip and put a hook and eye on). However despite the FBA it could still be a better fit, the sleeves are tight.

So, inspired by everyone on here and armed with my Craftsy class on fitting and my trusty Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, I'm going to make my very first muslin today! I'm hoping to get a sort of master pattern that I can use again and again, because with the neckline variations I think I could use several tops like this.

Kittie, I love the fact that you're bucking the trend and wearing 'your' style. I'm sort of picturing Vivienne Westwood but slightly less outrageous!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Kittie,Mehta is helpful, I've got a french curve.
    I'll try not to change angles at the side seam point next time.
    I've got itchy fingers and nothing to sew!
    We are not having a great summer weatherwise here so no need for any more makes for me alas.
    Nothing that needs mended, well I've a small bar and nok to sew on to something, but I don't much enjoy handstitching, it's a necessary evil!
    I love the main construction stage best.
    I could take the facing off the neck of that dress I made and make it deeper but it may be best to leave it alone and modify the pattern for the next one.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    polly I had no idea about the moisture. I haven`t got anywhere to lay them flat to soak, so will make a polythene tub, with pegs on the 4 corners, on the garden table. Should work when the time is right

Silvasava, I did just that today, a bought dress that I never wore, took the hem up, still never wore it. decided it was not me at all so the cs now has it. I cleared much out of wardrobes today, quietly making space for my own makes

Arty, cs browsing and upcycling comes to mind

The ex large mat came today with two clips, for me to keep safe. The plan is going to work fine, just waiting for the cork to make fillers. The large cheval mirrors also came and are now very tucked in against the wall in my sewing room, to the back and side of an easily moved bucket seat. I got bargains and made sure they had chains on the bottom. They are going to be very useful for self adjustments. They are extremely well made and will find willing owners when I pop my clogs. I looked all over for real glass mirrors with chains attached to the opening legs
    https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/home-and-furniture/living-by-christiane-lemieux-bailey-cheval-mirror/242063999.pd

No sewing today. Tomorrow is another day
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    last night would have been fatal for me falling asleep in the chair and having to drag myself to bed in a stupor, so only one way to stay awake and I thought I would prep my table for my new A line pull on skirt. I have made that pattern and know it fits.

new mats side by side to make a long 24" wide length, brought all the bits down, decided to use robert kaufman essex linen, which is linen with a bit of cotton so it sheds creases. 2m for a skirt, cost £28. I was going to stop there but made the skirt from scratch in just over an hour. I used light interfacing for the waistband. Its definitely a go to pattern. I have about 30cm of fabric left and will keep it as it could well make a bag one day, when I decide to learn bag making. The skirt is very suitable for autumn/winter, its a thicker fabric

Cutting wasn`t easy but I was using the cutter wrong and the ruler upside down. Thank you google for the info

This morning I re-arranged the mats to 48" wide as I want the 34"height for a single layer pattern piece using a nightmare floppy viscose from my stash, what was I thinking about when I bought these! The pattern piece is 55" wide and has 30 notch marks and several zig zags at the top of the pleats. The paper is thick and I used many weights, including the ones I made. I cut one piece out very carefully but I noticed that some fabric had still shrunk away from the sides. I used my scissors a bit on the sides, realising why rotary was best.Next bit of fabric is laying down to rest and I`ll cut after breakfast. The pattern does have a good review, so I will persist. That person isn`t me :)
    http://www.sewmaris.com/pattern-reviews/style-arc-allison-skirt

I sat down at 9.30 and still blooming well fell asleep, should have gone straight to bed, I knew I was tired
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's the sort of thing I do - and then wonder why I'm tired the next day! I still use fabric shears but I can see that a mat and rotary cutter would be much better for slippery fabrics. I've got cutters and a mat but it's only quilting size. It really comes in handy for small projects though.

I am starting to look differently at sewing. When I was growing up my mum made of clothes because it was cheaper than buying them, and fabric certainly seemed to cost less then. There was even a shop near us called The Remnant Shop, you can guess what it sold. We used to buy fabric at the market, too. These days, it's not cheaper to make clothes, it's about quality. I think I need to start investing in some better (more expensive) fabrics and taking myself a bit more seriously!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Forgive, but I'm presuming you've all seen the headline "83,500 Vintage Sewing Patterns Put Into Online Database"
    links to articles here
    here &
    here

It is searchable & a feast for the eyes & Muse, not sure how accessible the patterns are, though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 July 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    oo dfg, I am looking forward to sitting quietly later and looking through that site, Thank you so much. . What I do remember from 60+ years ago was that women were thinner and wore corsets so it made their waists look small

Polly I also made a decision about fabrics, I have sown my share of very cheap fabrics that have not hung properly or washed well but needs must for some and certainly when I was younger and bringing up a family. I discovered better fabrics and from thence I flew as they, on the whole, seem to make up better. Just now I am using mainly stashes, so I can justify new fabrics. I just received an order from croft mill and eg botanical, is stunning, it really is
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/products/fabric-by-width/fabric-by-width-144cm-56-and-above/orange-blue-botanical-floral-cotton-elastane-twill-product.html
    £6 a metre, what a bargain
    and
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/products/fabric-by-width/fabrics-by-width-130cm-51-143cm56/navy-floral-print-linen-dress-fabric-product.html

This last one is a linen and will make a wonderful BOHO dress, was made for Ralph Lauren. 3m cost me £37.50

I have washed the OBJ and the denim colour is slightly toned down from the picture, its really really nice

I have ordered an expensive fabric from them called second impression. It is a very fine cotton lawn, I saw the sample that I asked for and had to have it. 2m for a lovely sleeveless nightie but at £30. Just what I have been looking for. but in a good colourway, not pale pink or blue
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/products/european-dress-fabrics/multicoloured-abstract-spotted-cotton-lawn-fabric-product.html

I have never tried their pima lawn and I asked for a sample of gustav2. The quality is top notch, it has a lovely feel. I haven`t ordered it as it isn`t for me but the pima lawn is, for when I want a blouse
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/products/fabric-by-width/fabric-by-width-144cm-56-and-above/pima-cotton-lawn-dress-fabric-quirky-abstract-dull-product.html

I sent for 2 more samples, the Italian wool as I was curious and wanted to feel it. Its too good quality for me but stunning
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/products/european-dress-fabrics/printed-italian-dress-fabrics-by-the-metre-2-product.html
    and
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/products/fabric-by-width/fabric-width-112cm-44-or-less/hand-dyed-indonesian-batik-cotton-fabric-product.html

I didn`t get it but will bear it in mind for boho clothing

Had my break, now back to allison skirt. So far so good, the hardest part is coping with the fabric. Just got to sew the hem and press. I can`t see me making that in a plain fabric but the multi coloured one is looking very promising and the drapeyness is adding to it. Should be quite flattering, with swinginess but also a more streamlined hip area with just enough give from the gathered waistband
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First set of curtains finished and hung, I'll leave them a while to see if they drop and then do the final hem.

This afternoon I want to make a start on my jacket as the pattern and fabric have arrived, woohoo.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure