Travelling On

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I have a gut understanding now of indoor air pollution - I had a shower last night, of course, but the smell is in my hair, and woodsmoke is actually full of carcinogens .... very powerful.

I know exactly what you mean, KC. Whilst OH was doing all his branch sawing and chopping he had an ongoing bonfire that he kept replenishing. This went on over about 3 days in all and each evening he left his outdoor clothes hanging up in the little doorless cloakroom (not the toilet type) we have near the back door. He had a shower each time but the smoky clothes stank the whole downstairs out:eek:. He said it was pointless my washing them until the whole job was done as they'd only be the same the next day. I finally washed the lot yesterday so hopefully the whiff of woodsmoke that still pervades the air downstairs will vanish:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks! It was a genealogy afternoon - take your own laptop in, do your own research. It was very focussed on Ancestry, and on Ancestry DNA, and I'm just not going to pay a subscription of nearly £100 a year, plus all the faffing about with certificates. Ancestry have enough free days to suit me, and if I want more, the library has a full membership. But I can usefully input some information to let it back up my info a little bit more. That always helps.

There's another couple of family history groups, so I'll try them too, and I have a "should" for French, but I *want* Spanish :) I'd like Ancient Civilisations, but the speaker on Monday was supposed to be great, and she was very poor (i'm an academic type, there's no two ways about it :o). Science might be interesting. Local history too. There'll be something positive. I'm glad your mum has found the right thing for her :)

Your U3A branch sounds very good, even though a lot of what's currently on offer isn't appealing to you. I must research what my nearest branch has to offer. It's a round trip of 35 miles though so needs to be worth the bother and expense of going. Plus, I doubt I'd be much of a winter attendee:o. I have to admit that I feel intellectually starved nowadays, something that all my reading doesn't go anywhere near remedying:(
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi karma I'm back from hols and just catching up!

Hope you find the French or Spanish, I am going to redouble my language learning efforts too.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi CBC, hi earthgirl :)

Gosh, CBC, if I had to go a 35 mile round trip, I'd hardly ever do it. The two I've been to have been a 15 minute walk away, max - and my town is only 30,000 people, not really a "pensioner" type town too, its more commuters. Sorry your geographical isolation is leading to intellectual starvation :(

I don't know if it would suit you, CBC, but there's this, the virtual U3A: https://vu3a.org/. Could be a stopgap for you, at least.

I've been checking out my medicine "cabinet" and scanning genealogy stuff at the same time - plus reading a fiction book of the sort that I still hope to write, and even hopped into town to have a look at the clearance section in Dyas :D I live large, me :p
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...to have a look at the clearance section in Dyas :D...

Just love a good clearance section KC! Did you find anything worth purchasing?

We may have found the clearance section in a posh chocolate shop today...;)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Nothing at all! I was most disgruntedness :D

A posh chocolate shop, otoh ... now thats a place worth liberating :j
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    I’ve just been on SJ’s thread and it got me thinking about bacon and now I pop on here and now I’m thinking about posh chocolates!! I’m feeling very hungry now!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: it's a hard life, EE :rotfl:

I quite fancy something tasty myself right now: we'll see :D
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Argh, bleeping genealogy can really take over your life :o I meant to replace my mum's very blurry photographs with nice sharp online ones, for a little parish church in Northamptonshire. Trouble is, I disappeared into actual research :rotfl: and now I have to email the church :rotfl: well, not the building, I won't do that :rotfl: I'm sure they have a pic on their website of my great-great-grandfather, and his mother was the postmistress, and they definitely have a low-res photo of the post office :j

Stopping now ... food, garden, anything else but the laptop!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 15 April 2018 at 2:03PM
    Options
    Argh, bleeping genealogy can really take over your life :o I meant to replace my mum's very blurry photographs with nice sharp online ones, for a little parish church in Northamptonshire. Trouble is, I disappeared into actual research :rotfl: and now I have to email the church :rotfl: well, not the building, I won't do that :rotfl: I'm sure they have a pic on their website of my great-great-grandfather, and his mother was the postmistress, and they definitely have a low-res photo of the post office :j

Stopping now ... food, garden, anything else but the laptop!

I know how genealogy can take over your life:eek:. Been there, done that:o. The trouble is that it's all so fascinating, relevant or not. I had the habit of straying off the main family path to find out more about the very distant relatives who had very little bearing on my own line. I chose them often for nothing more than they had an interesting and unusual name:rotfl:. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was deeply engrossed people whose lives were totally peripheral to the ancestors that I was trying to track.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback