NI Credits problem

Options

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    What does it mean by "You can't add an entry to your journal until you've made a claim"
    on the webpage ?

It means you have to complete the application process before you can add a message to the journal, technically your claim isn't active until you answer all of their questions.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    8 years at £740 per year would eat up too much of my savings - even if I am to benefit in the long term - so I will fight to the end to get DWP to pay for me !

What I'm suggesting is that you think about buying 3 years additional NI credits (2016/7; 2017/8; and 2018/9) before the cost increases post April 2019, if your attempts to get the DWP to pay for you come to nought in the next 5 or so months.

By doing so, you would get an additional c. £730 per year index linked for the entirety of your post SP life.

Have you tested if there would be any UC payable using a benefits calculator?
    I seem to recall that in your first post, you indicated that your savings may not allow you to claim ESA - if so, would reducing savings by purchasing additional NI's get you within the UC limit?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    Here is a bit more info, which seems to support pmlindyloo's contention that UC may not be the route to go for a NI credits only claim.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12162/#56361

Given the F of I request I linked to at post 60, I suggest the OP abandons his current UC claim.
    Rather he starts by ringing the old JSA legacy line, and tries to follow the procedures the DWP set out in that F of I request.
    However, as he is working this may complicate matters (see comment 7 in the rightsnet thread).

The difficulty, of course, with UC is the lobster pot element.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I'd been wondering that.
    If no UC is payable (because of excess income / capital, etc) I seem to recall that the claim is eventually closed. I'm not sure it's possible to maintain a UC claim just for NI credits (without any UC payments being made). I suspect the computer is likely to say NO.

The OP may wish to look at this F of I question:
    "Please could you provide the regulations and/or guidance that describe the process for making a "credits only" claim for Universal Credit, when someone in a Full service UC area doesn't meet the NI contributions conditions for new style ESA or JSA, but also has too much income/savings for Universal Credit. "

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/claiming_new_style_esa_or_jsa_wh

If I read the response correctly, the process is that they are directed to claim JSA via a "JSANC1 form to complete and [an] .... interview" by a work coach. Then "The Work Coach will assess their entitlement to an NI credit, based upon the evidence in the form, inform them of what they need to do or keep on doing, and set them a fortnightly day of attendance."

How this works in practice is anyone's guess.
    I would be surprised if a UC call-handler or a JC work coach would have the faintest clue of this procedure.
    I suspect it was overlooked in the glorious design of UC thence the "There is no internal guidance for Decision Makers" comment. (And no provision in the way the UC computer was programmed to allow for this eventuality).

I'd be very interested to here how he gets on. Perhaps he could get a sensible family member to assist him through this process.
    If he meets a DWP brick wall, the OP may want to get his MP involved in this process.

Alice, good find on the Freedom of Information question!

The OP/family member needs to telephone the DWP and quote the FOI answer and ask for a manager/supervisor to call him back about this. The call handlers won't have a clue!

Also, I agree that OP should not continue his UC claim and get his MP involved if Job Centre prove to be less than helpful.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options
    Alice, good find on the Freedom of Information question!

See post 7 (20th March) and post 29 reminder.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 1:36PM
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    See post 7 (20th March) and post 29 reminder.

OK then

Xylophone, good find and good reminder.

Apologies, reading too quickly and missed this post.

I have to admit that sometimes when only a link is provided I tend not to click on the link unless the rest of the post contains some further information.

Not 'having a go' because I, too, sometimes just provide links.

I am wondering if this has happened to others since it is a very important link and would have prevented the thread continuing in the way it has.

Lesson learned.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't pointing any fingers!:)

It was just that back in March the link was indicated to OP and I asked if it threw any light - he came back to the thread a few days later so I assumed he had read it. I then pointed it out again in post 29 in case he hadn't.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks xylophone - and I apologise for not checking your link to WDTK earlier - yes, this Glenys Harriman appears to be in a very similar situation to myself and has also got nowhere !!
    In fact - DWP have refused the question

So - its looking like my MP is going to have to be brought in !!!
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    Perhaps the OP could clearly explain what happened when he was advised to make a JSA credits only claim (post 8), and why subsequently he claimed UC (despite the fact that he seems to think he won't be eligible for UC).
    Did he attend at his JC for an appointment re a JSA credits only claim? (Post 8)
    What was the outcome?

I'm not clear if the OP has put his financial info into a benefit calculator to see if any UC may be payable. Perhaps he could do this and tell us the outcome.
    Is he single, if married does his wife work?
    Does he pay rent?

I rather think the OP will be unable to claim JSA (credits only) as he is working. Perhaps that is why he was directed by the DWP to claim UC.

If the OP could concentrate on the essentials, rather than q's about writing / printing forms etc, then the thread may prove more useful to him.

However, it increasing looks to me that the OP may either:
    - have to increase hours to reach the LEL for NI of £116pw:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions
    - make voluntary contributions
    - or reconcile himself to a lower SP.
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    Thanks xylophone - and I apologise for not checking your link to WDTK earlier - In fact - DWP have refused the question

No they have not refused the question.
    The refusal relates to a further clarification question.
    They have answered the initial question.

See my post where I have quoted some of that answer.

Go through the link carefully and click on their eventual response to read it.

Do you have a family member who can help you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure