Opodo flight overcharge

Options
Hi. I booked a flight through Opodo, out from Heathrow to Boston, and back from JFK to Heathrow. I searched Kayak and was linked to Opodo through my chosen flight and price. This price was replicated on the Opodo website and was throughout the booking process. The total price for 2 travellers was £1530, and I had to confirm my acceptance of that price when I paid. When I checked my confirmation, I had been charged a total of £3,400. It appears the outbound flight has been booked as Premium Economy hence the price difference. I am certain that the price I agreed on the website was £1530. Clearly, however, I don't know how I can prove that. I re-traced my steps the following day through the same websites and flights (recording what I was doing) and again the price was £1530. A closer look at the detail showed that baggage allowance was larger (matching Premium Economy allocation) and the seat selection was only allowed in the Premium Economy area of that aircraft. There are no Premium Economy flights with Virgin available anywhere near the price that was being quoted. Opodo to date have refused to accept their error. I am continuing through the process of complaint. However, I travel in less than 2 weeks and if they accept their error and cancel I will need to book another flight.

In this instance is this an example of theft? What are my rights here? How can I prove a technical error on their part? Would this stand any chance of standing up in a small claims court? Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Replicate the booking process, up to the point where you press the 'buy' button, and take screenshots. If the prices that are displayed are the same as those you remember then keep the screenshots, obviously noting that they were taken soon after the purchase but show the same prices to which you agreed. Obviously, if the price that was actually charged is significantly different from the price that you agreed to pay, you can ask your card company to recall the payment or could use the Small Claims court procedure to reclaim the difference.

And no, this is not theft but a civil matter.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Opodo is a shonky OTA. Kayak is ok for finding flights but not wise to choose to book through a company that advertises on there, unless that company is the airline.

It's a pity you didn't research first. There's thousands and thousands of complaints about them on TripAdvisor alone, going back many years.

Good luck, because without hard proof of the prices at the time you booked eg screenshots, I really think you're going to need a lot of it.
  • speedingowl
    Options
    Thanks Voyager2002.

I have already replicated the booking process, and have taken screenshots. It confirms my story - although a day later. I'm still hoping Opodo will recognise an error. I am awaiting response from their complaint team.
  • speedingowl
    Options
    Yep, fair point. I'm a pretty experienced traveller to he honest and have used them before. I recognise the decreased flexibility, cancellation options etc. I didn't expect them to take £2k that I didn't approve, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure