Employed less than 3 months at time of taking ppi policy

Options
2»

Comments

• lyndsayb2010
    Options
    I've responded fully and comprehensively on all of the other threads. I won't be responding anymore...

i know you have but this was actually a different question to my others that is all
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone had any success getting a ppi claim upheld when you have signed a ppi policy agreement when you have been employed for less than 6 months?

He capital/Santander are saying that I took a policy out on 21 September however they think I may not have been in continuous employment for 6 months prior to this date.

This is true as I finished my a levels in summer 2000 and got my first full time job in around July/august 2000

I note you may have made other threads about this. I haven't read them so if I've missed something because it was on another thread, let me know.

I'm not sure what kind of PPI this was but as you've mentioned HE (GE?) Capital I'm guessing it's a credit card or most likely a store card.

From what you're saying it sounds like:

* You'd only have been eligible for the unemployment part of the policy if you'd been working in the same job for 6 months OR you wouldn't have been able to claim until you'd been working somewhere for at least 6 months.
    * You had not been working in the same job for 6 months when you took the policy out.
    * Therefore you were not eligible for the unemployment cover OR you wouldn't have been able to make use of it until you'd been working somewhere for 6 months.

I don't know how the policy was sold to you but if it was a store card then you'd probably have bought it while you were at the till at a shop, and it would have been sold by a retail assistant with minimal understanding of the product.

GE Capital (if this is who this is about) were fined £610,000 by the then FSA for the way their store cards were sold. Link. One of the main issues highlighted was the retail assistants didn't have a clue about the product they were selling.

Based on this, chances are you wouldn't have been told about this 6 month thing.

You mentioned you'd just finished your A levels. If you can't prove how long you'd been working (which is understandable that far back!) then maybe you can show you'd just done your A levels? Many people don't have a job while they're at college so it might lend some more credibility to what you're saying.

I would say though that it's probably a good idea not to make multiple threads about the same complaint. It's considered poor etiquette or "netiquette".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agricolae wrote: »
    I note you may have made other threads about this. I haven't read them
    This stretches all the way back to 2012, when the OP got no reply;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3980861

This year, the OP has spammed the board with threads about this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5615965
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.phpt=5617290
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5618534
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newreply.php?t=72283758

So no need to speculate.

All the OP apparently wants to know additionally in this thread is whether anyone has had PPI refunded simply because they were employed for less than three months at the time of the sale. Dunstonh answered this at post #5.
    I'm not sure what kind of PPI this was
    This information is on the other threads, of course. ;)
  • lyndsayb2010
    Options
    I note you may have made other threads about this. I haven't read them so if I've missed something because it was on another thread, let me know.

I'm not sure what kind of PPI this was but as you've mentioned HE (GE?) Capital I'm guessing it's a credit card or most likely a store card.

From what you're saying it sounds like:

* You'd only have been eligible for the unemployment part of the policy if you'd been working in the same job for 6 months OR you wouldn't have been able to claim until you'd been working somewhere for at least 6 months.
    * You had not been working in the same job for 6 months when you took the policy out.
    * Therefore you were not eligible for the unemployment cover OR you wouldn't have been able to make use of it until you'd been working somewhere for 6 months.

I don't know how the policy was sold to you but if it was a store card then you'd probably have bought it while you were at the till at a shop, and it would have been sold by a retail assistant with minimal understanding of the product.

GE Capital (if this is who this is about) were fined £610,000 by the then FSA for the way their store cards were sold. Link. One of the main issues highlighted was the retail assistants didn't have a clue about the product they were selling.

Based on this, chances are you wouldn't have been told about this 6 month thing.

You mentioned you'd just finished your A levels. If you can't prove how long you'd been working (which is understandable that far back!) then maybe you can show you'd just done your A levels? Many people don't have a job while they're at college so it might lend some more credibility to what you're saying.

I would say though that it's probably a good idea not to make multiple threads about the same complaint. It's considered poor etiquette or "netiquette".

big thanks for the super helpful reply Agricolae, this is the view i was taking on being sold my ppi as i did take it in the store on both occassions and it was the store assistant that sold the policy on both occcassions too.

I am trying to get evidence about my employment from the employer at the time and also have asked hmrc for my employment records too. Hopefully this will support my claim with Santander as well as being sold the policy by the retail assistant.

I am currently waiting for copies of the consumer credit agreement from santander too and they have said they have now put notes on the file to give me a little more time to reply to their further questions re my employment at the time of taking the cards out.

thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Sorry for the multiple threads but i am relatively new to this... i may have joined several years ago but this is my second ppi complaint. the first one being barclaycard was much more straightforward than this one with santander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure