Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 10th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 5Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    Santander - PPI claim upheld
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    Santander - PPI claim upheld 10th Mar 17 at 3:05 PM
    Hi There, im just going through 2 claims with Santander re GE capital store cards and have called them today to see where they are up to and they said they have now sent letters re each claim to say the decision has been upheld.

Stupid features here didnt ask what that actually means.

Does it mean the claim is rejected? They are sending another questionnaire out with more questions on for me to answer.

Many thanks

Lyndsay
Page 1
    • PSW
    • By PSW 10th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    PSW
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    Means they are upholding your complaint, so you will be getting a refund. They will be sending you a letter to sign & confirm how you would like paying.

I've just had 2 complaints for GE capital upheld by Santander.
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 10th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    Means they are upholding your complaint, so you will be getting a refund. They will be sending you a letter to sign & confirm how you would like paying.

Originally posted by PSW

Oh thanks for that!!!!

I was just hoping it wasnt a no!!

Dont want to get too excited but i suspect it could be a half decent amount as had 2 store cards for around 4 years. One with about 1k balance on it and the other around £400 balance on it

Fingers crossed!
    • PSW
    • By PSW 10th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    PSW
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    Just bear in mind "if" you have an outstanding debt with either of them they can offset any refund against this first.
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 10th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    Just bear in mind "if" you have an outstanding debt with either of them they can offset any refund against this first.
    Originally posted by PSW

Yeh im not sure if i do or dont! how bad is that!!! I was pretty irresponsible in my youth!

Either way it will be a nice surprise hopefully as its either a debt paid or money in my bank
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 10th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:58 PM

Originally posted by PSW

Also just as a matter of interest what was the PPI rate (if yours are from same era as mine around 2000-2004)

I genuinely have no idea how much to expect
    • PSW
    • By PSW 10th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    PSW
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    I don't have the figures to hand & everyone's is different but it was about £2000 after 20% tax deduction. From 96 - 04
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    Also just as a matter of interest what was the PPI rate (if yours are from same era as mine around 2000-2004)

I genuinely have no idea how much to expect
    Originally posted by lyndsayb2010
    PPI is charged around 70-80p per £100 of debt (though the odd one apparently charges up to £1)

A £400 balance would thus be a maximum of £4 a month, or £10 a month for the £1000 balance. Essentially multiply that by the number of months you had it and see if they give any interest on top (if they do it's at 8% simple)
    • PSW
    • By PSW 10th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    PSW
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    PPI is charged around 70-80p per £100 of debt (though the odd one apparently charges up to £1)

A £400 balance would thus be a maximum of £4 a month, or £10 a month for the £1000 balance. Essentially multiply that by the number of months you had it and see if they give any interest on top (if they do it's at 8% simple)
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I'll have to double check my paperwork to be sure but along with the PPI premiums & the 8% interest I think I also got associated interest.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I'll have to double check my paperwork to be sure but along with the PPI premiums & the 8% interest I think I also got associated interest.
    Originally posted by PSW

The refund process is defined, I believe store cards are done the way way as credit cards i.e. You do get a refund of the interest charged on the PPI premiums but 8% interest only on any times when your card would have been in credit were it not for the PPI but some companies do add 8% regardless.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi/redress.html#redresscc
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 10th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    Thanks for the answers! Would that be 8% interest from year 2000 to 2017? What is associated interest? Sorry for all the newbie questions
    • brown1950
    • By brown1950 10th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    brown1950
    I would also be interested in what the informed posters on this site consider 'Associated Interest'
    in relation to a store/credit card ?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 10,858 Posts
    • 10,761 Thanks
    zx81
    The interest that was charged on the part of your balance which was comprised of PPI.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I would also be interested in what the informed posters on this site consider 'Associated Interest'
    in relation to a store/credit card ?
    Originally posted by brown1950
    The same thing the FOS consider it, it's on the link I posted above, but basically if you had ppi charged on one month then it would be subject to interest on the next month as with any purchase that isn't paid off in full. Not really difficult
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 11th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    The same thing the FOS consider it, it's on the link I posted above, but basically if you had ppi charged on one month then it would be subject to interest on the next month as with any purchase that isn't paid off in full. Not really difficult
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Thanks that makes sense!
    • chachaslide
    • By chachaslide 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    chachaslide
    This is great news congratulations - I too am waiting a decision from Santander based on 2 Debenhams store cards.
    • lyndsayb2010
    • By lyndsayb2010 13th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lyndsayb2010
    This is great news congratulations - I too am waiting a decision from Santander based on 2 Debenhams store cards.
    Originally posted by chachaslide

I misheard on the phone! bad news they say they they do not uphold the decision but have asked for more info re my employment.

Who keeps contracts/p45's etc from over 17 years ago??

Also i was on an apprentice/YTS scheme and sick pay was almost as much as my salary plus i was fully supported by my parents.

Feel like it won't happen now!

Also i was sold the PPI by a store assistant! not by an actual knowledgable person re PPI.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 86,887 Posts
    • 52,039 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I do. its so easy to scan a document and keep it on electronic files.

For your complaint to be focusing on these areas, it would suggest there is no evidence of wrongdoing that can be found or that the information you have supplied cannot be verified or differs from information they hold about your company (the latter is common as people often use template letters that state the wrong thing about their work benefits and the banks/firms tend to have information on employer benefits on their files - so when differences occur, they ask for evidence).

You are basically scraping the barrel at this stage when looking at things like this.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 13th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Mersey
    I misheard on the phone! bad news they say they they do not uphold the decision but have asked for more info re my employment.

Also i was sold the PPI by a store assistant! not by an actual knowledgable person re PPI.

You can request your HMRC/DWP work history (and your NICs' record).

Indeed some employers request this to prove your work history.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 18,152 Posts
    • 8,461 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    That's not a valid complaint reason. It just means you bought without any advice...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

1,631Users online

Martin's Twitter