MSE News: Petrol prices set to reach record high

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Petrol prices are set to reach an all-time high, piling pressure on Chancellor George Osborne to cut fuel taxes ..."

Comments

• Bruciebonus
    Bruciebonus Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I think petrol prices should be around £1 per litre for ''essential'' journeys and around £3 per litre for non essential ones.
    If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.
  • foofi22
    foofi22 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think petrol prices should be around £1 per litre for ''essential'' journeys and around £3 per litre for non essential ones.

Yes me too. My journeys are all essential by the way.
  • Tier
    Tier Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Absolutely shocking, things cant go on like this surely? Something has to give, fuel prices cant just keep rising and rising.
  • no_more_cards_for_me
    Options
    Unfortunatley it looks like the fuel price will continue to rise, not only due to the internal UK policy but also the global issue of Iran.

If fuel goes to £1.50 per litre which is the current estimate then its obviously going to have an effect on vehicle usage.

In my own case, i've elected to cycle to work 12 days of the month, effectively saving 288 miles fuel per month. My journey to work is 12 miles through the countryside and residential areas. I'm not saying this is a solution for everybody but for short journeys then rethinking how you travel could save money. I estimate that after costs I'm saving £40-£70 per month - costs include the purchase of the bike via a cycle to work scheme. Obviously I still have the car and its associated costs but using it on a reduced basis means my wear and tear costs go down, still have to tax and insure it however.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oooh, yet another moan about petrol prices thread. Wait till Israel kicks off in the summer, then oil prices really will shoot up.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    What ever happend to the refinery/truckers/angry people etc who caused mayhem back in 2000 - prices are higher now..?
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Could hit £7 a gallon by July !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    Yay!

Any measure that stops short journeys being made by car and more by bicycle the better. Especially a big car with only one person in it!

Less cars and more bikes will mean safer roads.

And I do own a diesel car!

Dave
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Dave_C wrote: »
    Yay!

Any measure that stops short journeys being made by car and more by bicycle the better. Especially a big car with only one person in it!

Dave

ERR, Not quite,
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dave_C wrote: »
    Yay!

And I do own a diesel car!

Dave

nob.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills