MSE News: Petrol prices set to reach record high

Options

Comments

• no_more_cards_for_me
    Options
    Short journeys of under 5 miles would be better completed by cycle or walking. Take away the school run and traffic is significantly lighter. Whilst there is little option for longer commutes, as public transport doesn't have the support or infrastructure, why shouldn't people use cycles for shorter journeys ? 15 minutes on a bike for a couple of miles shouldn't be too difficult for anybody. Safer roads would encourage more users.

Unfortunately convincing car drivers to give up their status symbols is going to be a more difficult. As fuel costs rise then there might be a further significant increase in cycle use. Anything to reduce the burden on the NHS of obese car drivers has got to be a good thing.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    I would pay good money to watch someone do 5 miles on a bike from Slaithwaite to Shepley
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • louiser123
    louiser123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    Options
    i am really noticing it myself, i have to use my car for my job which i get paid 45p a mile for, this to be honest is not really covering all it should now inc wear and tear. i am debating trying to find a job which i wont need a car for that i can access by bus/walk but this proving difficult too. it really is time that us everyday people had a break since this govt has been in its been constant cuts, tax rises and further costs. we really do need a change or the country needs to stand up for itself in the correct way of course.
    if petrol rose to these prices in the USA there would be uproar so if they can sell it cheaper why in the world cant we????
    self confessed 80's throwback:D
    sealed pot challenge 2009 #488 (couldnt tell you how much so far as i cant open it to count it!!:mad: )
  • no_more_cards_for_me
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    I would pay good money to watch someone do 5 miles on a bike from Slaithwaite to Shepley

Perfectly good route apparently
    http://www.waterscape.com/in-your-area/yorkshire/slaithwaite/cycling
  • Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    Options
    louiser123 wrote: »
    if petrol rose to these prices in the USA there would be uproar so if they can sell it cheaper why in the world cant we????

The US actually need cars. They spend vast amounts of money warring to keep oil prices down. The vast majority of the US is actually designed around the automobile - everything is spaced out massively.

By contrast, we like cars. You might need one for your job but you're a rare example. Most are off burning petrol because their kids can't be arsed to walk a mile to school. Most major cities in the UK have everything within walking distance, cycling if you want to save a bit of time. Only rural users actually need them.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • no_more_cards_for_me
    Options
    Derivative wrote: »
    Most are off burning petrol because their kids can't be arsed to walk a mile to school. Most major cities in the UK have everything within walking distance, cycling if you want to save a bit of time. Only rural users actually need them.

How very true :)
  • louiser123
    louiser123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    Options
    Derivative wrote: »
    The US actually need cars. They spend vast amounts of money warring to keep oil prices down. The vast majority of the US is actually designed around the automobile - everything is spaced out massively.

By contrast, we like cars. You might need one for your job but you're a rare example. Most are off burning petrol because their kids can't be arsed to walk a mile to school. Most major cities in the UK have everything within walking distance, cycling if you want to save a bit of time. Only rural users actually need them.

yes i see what your saying and agree completely but the rises dont help those of us who do NEED one. it would be fairer to assist those that do, how that would be done im not sure but i wont hold my breath.
    self confessed 80's throwback:D
    sealed pot challenge 2009 #488 (couldnt tell you how much so far as i cant open it to count it!!:mad: )
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    louiser123 wrote: »

We have universal healthcare.
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tier wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking, things cant go on like this surely? Something has to give, fuel prices cant just keep rising and rising.

Why not? Demand will keep rising and supply will keep falling - simple economics.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Arg
    Arg Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    We have universal healthcare.

We have the illusion of universal healthcare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure