IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Food Centre Milton Keynes MK PARKING FINE

Options
H2017
H2017 Posts: 7 Forumite
Got a letter saying the car overstayed by 10/15 mins at the Food Centre in MK. It's free to park for 3 hours. Parking fine came through the post with photos of the car via ANPR. Its smart Parking , the company. Read the newbies thread but still am confused what I need to do. I think I write to the landowner but not sure what to say and how I find their info. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quoting the reply on the thread you started looking at:
    cmb116 wrote: »
    Staying for less than 3 hours is not actually one of the terms and conditions that applies to parking in the Food Centre MK car park, according to the sign in the car park that is headed "Terms and Conditions" (despite what other signs might say - the Terms and Conditions sign states that it contains all terms and conditions that apply and it does not mention a time limit - so that the other signs are misleading).

(NB This is correct at least until October 2017 - check current signage after this date as Smart Parking may have changed it)

Any PCN which demands payment for staying longer than 3 hours is therefore invalid and not legally enforceable, as this is not one of the terms and conditions that you have "agreed to" when parking.

But the easiest thing is just to send the blue template from the NEWBIES thread never saying who was driving - you then WIN at POPLA stage. It is a cinch v Smart Parking.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you overstayed, then the NTK should specify by how much. If 10 minutes, you will easily be able to claim Grace. If 15, then again Grace will apply as well as pre parking time to read t&c. But if it's much more, then you will need something else.

Luckily, a picture of their t&c sign will help you as it is the longest I have seen and needs time to read and absorb.

Are you sure it is ANPR? This must be a new addition as it was always a guy walking round the 4 floors with a camera. We're your pictures taken on entry or exit or were they taken showing you parked?

The point about the t&c sign not mentioning the 3 hours parking time is a very weak argument as those signs are secondary signs to the main parking signs and immediately next to the main parking signs when present as there are far more main parking signs in the car park.
  • cmb116
    cmb116 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 November 2017 at 11:08AM
    Options
    No actually the point about it not being one of the T&Cs is not a weak point - the T&C sign says within it that it contains the whole contract - i.e. all the T&Cs. It is not a secondary sign at all but the whole contract - and any thing on any other sign is irrelevant. I had my PCN immediately cancelled when I pointed this out - why bother with POPLA.

The sign is still there when I looked on 20 November 2017.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cmb116 wrote: »
    No actually the point about it not being one of the T&Cs is not a weak point - the T&C sign says within it that it contains the whole contract - i.e. all the T&Cs. It is not a secondary sign at all but the whole contract - and any thing on any other sign is irrelevant. I had my PCN immediately cancelled when I pointed this out - why bother with POPLA.

The sign is still there when I looked on 20 November 2017.

Well done. I have to say sorry for errors in my previous posts for a couple of reasons.

The first is that it seems that they are now using ANPR. Obviously saving salaries.

Also, the wording that not so Smart have used in their t&c seems to have been pinched from a permit park and is not really relevant to a free stay.

I have taken a couple of photos of the signs so others can see how you won. If these t&c are standard Smart signs, then this argument can be used for other cases as well.

http://tinypic.com/m/jrxhyu/3
    http://tinypic.com/m/jrxhz6/3
    http://tinypic.com/m/jrxhzb/3
  • H2017
    edited 9 December 2017 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Sorry for delayed reply. Thank you for commenting. Yep definitely ANPR. Pic of car entering and exiting time stamped. Car overstayed 15 mins. Is grace a valid reason?
  • H2017
    Options
    So what would your arguement be? Thank you for the photos. Sorry, totaly newbie at this.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you sent the blue template appeal from the NEWBIES FAQ thread - as advised nearly two weeks ago?

You haven't told us when this incident took place, but remember that you have a limited time to appeal to the parking company.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Blue appeal
    Stop identifying the driver! Edit your posts. The driver overstayed. No one else.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Start your own thread. Like the site tells you when you signed up ...
    Edit the posts above. Now. Same instruction
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AKITB2014 wrote: »
    What would i write in the complaint/letter to centre mk and smart parking?
    TIA

You would use the template letter from the sticky, which you should have already read.

It also explains why hijacking someone else's is not-on and will not get you any help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure