What to wear at a New Staff Induction day

Options
Hi everyone

My 18 year old son has been offered a job working at Sainsburys, and he is slightly fretting as to what to wear on the Induction weekend.

He was considering jeans, a smart jumper and a new pair of trainers .. Do you think that would be ok, or do you think he should go for trousers and a shirt?

Thankyou :)
Some days I wake up Grumpy ... Other days I let him lie in.

Comments

• Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't wear jeans to a first day - many companies have strict dress code which rules out denim of any kind. Far better to wear a pair of dark plain trousers and smart shirt and be 'over dressed' than jeans and do something wrong on your first day.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • ENILORAC
    ENILORAC Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Jeans & a jumper are fine to wear at an induction in a supermarket. He has already got the job & will most likely be sitting watching health & safety dvds & be given a tour of the store. It will be a long, boring day!
  • magenta22
    magenta22 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Have they not indicated a dress code? Is there someone you can contact to ask about a dress code?

As it's a weekend I would imagine smart casual, I would suggest smart trousers rather than jeans if not sure.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Definitely smart trousers and a shirt.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • jaqui59
    jaqui59 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your quick replies, they really helped, and I think they have persuaded him to go for the smart option ... Only one more question though ... Shirt tucked in or left out? LOL

Ive already warned him it will probably be extremely boring, as I can clearly remember my induction when I got a job at Homebase a number of years ago ... YAWNNNNNNNNNN !!!!
    Some days I wake up Grumpy ... Other days I let him lie in.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Tucked in...
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 October 2011 at 10:23AM
    Options
    I wore jeans and trainers(and the other 3 wore jeans and trainers ) on my induction day last month well both days and no 1 said anything, i think we all wore jeans, all that your son will be doing is sat in a room filling stuff in, watching a few dvd's etc, ding stuff like look at these pictures and circle whats wrong with each 1, do think 21 training. They will go through all the companys values(should be on the wall anyway) and you fill in a booklet.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I started with Sainsbury's back in June and I'm sure they told us it was smart casual (i.e. no jeans or trainers), regardless of the day. Shirt in is the order of the day - it might only be an induction day, but it's important to create the right impression.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2011 at 12:03PM
    Options
    This will be the day when first impressions are made, where management hopefuls are sorted from manual workers.
    So ask him if he wants to do the trolleys and pull pallet trucks or a front of house roll stock checking and eventually managing.
    Make his decision based upon that.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LizD wrote: »
    I started with Sainsbury's back in June and I'm sure they told us it was smart casual (i.e. no jeans or trainers), regardless of the day. Shirt in is the order of the day - it might only be an induction day, but it's important to create the right impression.

wasnt even told about no trainers and jeans when told i was offered the job. No 1 commented to us 4 about wearing jeans so that blows your theory out of the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure