Septic tank emptying

Options
toni_
toni_ Posts: 1,240 Forumite
Hiya, hoping someone can help. We are a family of 5 (2 children in nappies) in 1 cottage and the property next door is a family of 2. We share a septic tank with our next door neighbours, they had it emptied last week and put a note through the door saying we owe £100. I really don’t think it’s fair for us to pay the full amount! But I’m unsure how much to pay, we previously never had to pay for it as the previous occupier next door use to have someone do it free of charge! My husband is pretty sure it’s in the deeds that the cost has to be split 50/50, would it be fair to pay just £50? I don’t want to fall out with the next door neighbours but money is also very tight at the moment on maternity pay and I don’t want to pay more if we shouldn’t be. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    The split of the bill will be in the written agreement / deeds.

You should request a copy of the bill and then proceed with whatever the written agreement says is your liability. 50/50 is normal.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • toni_
    Options
    Thanks very much, I didn’t know how it normally works and really don’t want any arguments over it. Many thanks
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Why on earth do you feel you should pay less?

With 5 people in your household, against 2 in the other property, you are using the tank far more than your neighbours. I think they have a far better argument to pay LESS than you.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree with Cardew - you should pay more than next door as you are putting more waste into the tank. Which, I've no doubt will increase when the little ones grow out of nappies.

I'm sure you'd feel pretty aggrieved if the situation was reversed and there were more people living next door than in your house putting more waste into the tank.

Do you actually know how much it actually cost to get the tank emptied perhaps £100 is your portion of the bill rather than whole amount. You need to discuss it with your neighbour.

How long have they been there compared to you, have they been there long enoug to put anywhere near as much waste into the tank asyou have, or have they recently moved and found the tank needed emptying.

In which case it would be unfair for them to shoulder even 50% of the cost.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • toni_
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Why on earth do you feel you should pay less?

With 5 people in your household, against 2 in the other property, you are using the tank far more than your neighbours. I think they have a far better argument to pay LESS than you.

I don’t think we should pay less not at all, if you read my post I thought we should pay at least half or more.... I was just wondering what to do.... this site sure ain’t how it used to be
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    toni_ wrote: »
    I don’t think we should pay less not at all, if you read my post I thought we should pay at least half or more.... I was just wondering what to do.... this site sure ain’t how it used to be

Well your first post is unclear.

If they leave a note saying you 'owe £100' and the deeds say it should be a 50/50 split, then it is reasonable to assume the total bill was £200. - obviously check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure