Investing in companies Pre-Brexit

Options
Goodmorning, I have been thinking lately about Brexit and what it will mean for our country, the people and companies not just here but worldwide.
I've had an account with H&L for about a year now and been trading small time with not a great deal of profit but not bad either. With Brexit looming next month it is a certainty that companies will be greatly affected for better or worse, I am having a little difficulty in identifying which ones will likely do well out of it, there's not much information out there that I've come across and was hoping some of you guys might have any leads.
Thanks in advance :j :beer: :j

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most people on this site are investors and not traders as it's a mugs game. Maybe you've had more heads than tails in the last year but it won't last. Investing is a long term venture
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is very easy.

The government have done a great job, and as promised there are new trade deals that will take effect the moment we leave the EU. Those deals give us unrestricted access to the markets of Zimbabwe and the Faroe Islands. So all you need to do is identify the companies that make significant sales in these markets, or are likely to do so in the near future. Those are the companies to buy; meanwhile you should short-sell any that rely on the EU for markets or as part of their supply chain.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Most investors here use global funds, whether passive index trackers or active. Wide diversification by company and country is key.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • azza987
    Options
    I may have worded it wrong, investing long term is what I'm looking at, just need to find specific companies to do so.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    For general world wide investments Brexit is an irrelevance.
    For specific global companies Brexit is an irrelevance.
    For niche British companies Brexit is already priced in or irrelevant.
  • azza987
    azza987 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I somehow doubt that very much...
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If you wish to invest long term I suggest you buy funds that invest in possibly hundreds of companies world wide rather than individual shares. For a global portfolio of funds BREXIT is irrelevent - the UK is about 6% of the total.

Also for most UK based investing....
    Most FTS100 wealth is in a relatively small number of very large companies which are essentially priced on a global basis. The global market in shares will ensure that an oil company say that happens to be quoted on the UK stock exchange will be priced at a level comparable with an oil company based anywhere else, ie effectively in $s. So the biggest risk isnt BREXIT as such but rather short term currency movements. If BREXIT fails to happen the value of the £ will rise significantly so reducing the price in £s of all global investments. Conversely if we have a hard BREXIT.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    azza987 wrote: »
    I am having a little difficulty in identifying which ones will likely do well out of it, there's not much information out there that I've come across and was hoping some of you guys might have any leads.

Companies like HL will do very well from amateur investors churning their portfolios thinking that shuffling shares back and forth, and paying trading fees each time, will protect them from unspecified imaginary bad things from happening to them in March.

In the same way and for the exact same reason that we used to bang drums and draw weird symbols on the ground in the belief that it would stop the Oogie-Boogie monster from emerging out of the night and eating our goats.

There is no point bashing the wine gums on Hargreaves Lansdown shares to try and take advantage, because it is already priced in.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    azza987 wrote: »
    I somehow doubt that very much...

Which of my three points do you doubt?
  • dividendhero
    Options
    To be brutally honest I don't think Brexit itself isn't the biggest issue facing the UK.

As the recent defections from the Tories and Labour shows, both the main parties are heading to the political extremes. On top of this the country is getting more divided by the day, I can't see the UK being an attractive place to invest for at least a decade and probably far longer..and this is whatever the outcome of the current shenanigans in Westminster
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure