BT broadband 30 days cancellation notice

Options
S_F
S_F Posts: 5 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 13 February 2019 at 5:45PM in Broadband & internet access
So I've just discovered that BT charge customers to cancel their broadband if you don't give them 30 days notice, even if cancelling right at the end of the contract (so no early termination and still within contract).

My contract ends tomorrow and now I'm being charged an extra 30 days at a much higher rate than I was paying for a service that I won't be using. I've honored the contract so how is this even legal?

Apparently it's in the T&C's so yeah, maybe I should have known, but coming off a 24 month contract during which they've increased the price a couple of times, it seems a bit harsh and definitely short sighted as I can't see myself ever returning to them now.

Maybe this is common knowledge but if not hopefully it will be a useful warning to people.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    S_F wrote: »
    My contract ends tomorrow and now I'm being charged an extra 30 days at a much higher rate than I was paying for a service that I won't be using. How is this even legal?

Becuase your contract does not "end". You signed up to a rolling monthly contract after your initial period. You did read the terms right?
  • S_F
    S_F Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I'd gone over the end of the contract I would expect to be charged, but being charged when I cancel a day before the end seems harsh.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    30 days notice .
    Most BT customers have renegotiated the contract re price rise .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 February 2019 at 7:49PM
    Options
    So I've just discovered that BT charge customers to cancel their broadband if you don't give them 30 days notice, even if cancelling right at the end of the contract (so no early termination and still within contract).

My contract ends tomorrow and now I'm being charged an extra 30 days at a much higher rate than I was paying for a service that I won't be using. I've honored the contract so how is this even legal?

Apparently it's in the T&C's so yeah, maybe I should have known, but coming off a 24 month contract during which they've increased the price a couple of times, it seems a bit harsh and definitely short sighted as I can't see myself ever returning to them now.

Maybe this is common knowledge but if not hopefully it will be a useful warning to people.

This isn't something unique to BT , any provider will require a notice period should you either chose to simply stop all service, or should you want to change provider...if it's the case you want to cease all service and not migrate to someone else , then if you want your notice period to also be the last month of the minimum term , then around the end of the penultimate month of the minimum term , you call and say you are quitting completely , if moving to someone else, it's around 10-14 days before the end of the minimum term, you contact the provider you want to move to , and they arrange the switch.
    All providers require a notice period , so if you leave it until the minimum term has already expired then that's your 'error', not theirs , it's not underhand or sharp practice, it's industry standard,after all ,if at the end of a minimum term your provider just cut you off , that would cause many more complaints, than the 'issue' you are complaining about.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    It's common knowledge. Your initial minimum term was ending, not your contract, and it goes to a 30 day notice period other than if you do a gaining provider led switch, where the notice given by the new provider on your behalf is considered sufficient,

Also, if the price rises during the initial long minimum term you can normally leave without penalty.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • GuitarMusic
    Options
    When I left BT last year, I phoned them to give a month's notice and they had no interest and told me I didn't have to give any notice, which is contrary to what their T&C's state.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure