Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    I know this probably sounds silly ....but I do love a novelty birthday cake and a chocolate novelty one is always good!..That way they can share it and indulge ..it also helps to make your birthday a bit more special..in my opinion.

Is always difficult to know what to get ..other than vouchers or wine...lol

Not being a stickler - you are so lovely make sure the friends in your life have a positive impact on it ...life is too short to spend it with people who "do silly things "...

I've had many friends but the great ones like you are few and far between - :-)

I wonder what your potential plus one is doing? out there somewhere ... bet he's eye wateringly good looking so probably not doing much at all...except flicking his hair...ha ha and wondering where in the world you are lol .....
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ooops :o how come I always forget how expensive it is to have a social life?:rotfl:

I've had such a lovely month so far - out for meals, to exhibitions, to conference... and it has made rather a dent in the budget, though not an irreparable one. I get paid soon which is just as well because I haven't seen my balance so close to the overdraft in a while! Well, actually about 6 months I suppose. So nice to see that my habits have changed for the better :D .

I have also bought books and clothes (snuggly winter pj's :) )and tickets for things coming up, and yet more expensive b***** cat food. But there will be some expenses coming back into the pot too.

A few things to remember...
    • YNAB is not magic, it can't sort my money all by itself. I need to update it regularly so that I can spot issues and because it's much easier to handle inputting and checking a week's worth of receipts than 3 at once. I will try and set a day to do this (am going back to FlyLady principles... ).
    • I am getting most pleasure from spending money on small things - tickets, eating out, petrol to see people. I don't think I need or want to drastically change my lifestyle, just enjoy having the money to do this and allow for it in the budget.
    • Being organised helps everything run smoother - and I'm going to need that as the new job gets busier and studying does too. I'm trying to take a little time to get things untangled now so that they will run better later.
    • Nobody can do everything at once. I feel so much less stressed for deciding that the next 6 months is just about getting through the new job and college. I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money on eating out and prepped food, and that's fine because I need to stay healthy and trying to cook on top of everything else would just tip it all haywire. When I'm finished college, I can cook and garden as much as I like :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Not being a stickler - you are so lovely make sure the friends in your life have a positive impact on it ...life is too short to spend it with people who "do silly things "...

I've had many friends but the great ones like you are few and far between - :-)

Aww thanks Sam... I did see some other lovely friends that weekend, and tbh the person who did something silly has been a bit odd on other occasions so I already knew I was going to be a bit careful there. I thought it over and realised that I no longer feel obliged to try and help sort people who a) haven't asked and b) wouldn't appreciate it. If only I'd figured that out in my 20s :rotfl:.

I wonder what your potential plus one is doing? out there somewhere ... bet he's eye wateringly good looking so probably not doing much at all...except flicking his hair...ha ha and wondering where in the world you are lol .....

So do I... that's a nice idea, I might try visualising what he's up to now and again and see if it helps me figure out where he's hiding :D. I doubt he's flicking his hair though - unless of course he's shaking surf or mud off it. And he's bound to be doing something because I'm not usually interested in people who aren't interested in anything.

Hopefully he's heading back to his beach side house and talking to his dog about how good it would be to have someone to cook for ;)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well I'm feeling very proud of myself... I have tidied my bedroom :rotfl:and no it isn't because my mum shouted at me!

I've finally sorted through my receipts and stuff pile, my filing pile, and a whole load of other things and it is all tidied away - a few things haven't made it into the actual files yet as that would involve shifting other things out of cupboards, but they're identified and ready to go.

I have a 'call-forward' file set up with the pretty box file I bought ages ago and haven't really used, and another file ready to use as a planner til my Desire Map one turns up. This also means that with a few small exceptions (a couple of things to go to Ebay and one day I need to go through my 'souvenirs' box files) my bedroom is decluttered. Since this is a very small flat :rotfl:, that's a good bit of the sorting done. I've also tidied a few things in the living room and if I set my mind to that over the next couple of weekends, that can be rapidly sorted too. It may involve having to face the shed :eek: but I'm sure I'll manage. I will also need to swop over clothes in the next couple of weeks but that should be very simple now that I've pared them down. I will need some winter clothes - boots for certain - so will look at that after I've swopped things.

I'm surprised to find how much of a relief it feels to be getting back to being organised. I used to run a near-FlyLady system before / during the MSc and it did save my butt many times, but once I got ill everything rather fell apart and I hadn't caught up with it because it all seemed too scary. Now I feel differently - I am going to do what I want to do and I am not going to miss out on anything, so I'm going to keep track of all this fun stuff! :j:T

Rosa xx
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I need some of your energy Rosa. Chaos in every room at the moment!

It does sound like you have enjoyed yourself this month, and too right, its thoroughly deserved!

Bellevie x
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• moneyonmymindsam
    moneyonmymindsam Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 October 2015 at 1:57AM
    Options
    QUOTE : Hopefully he's heading back to his beach side house and talking to his dog about how good it would be to have someone to cook for ;)

Oh He does sound perfect ...lol I just laughed out loud ..he already knows how to sweep you off your feet .

Good to hear socially things are good - does a girl good to get out and about and if life is good don't stress to much about the budget.

QUOTE: I've finally sorted through my receipts and stuff pile, my filing pile, and a whole load of other things and it is all tidied away -

This part I just fainted ...I hate sorting receipts ...so cheers to you for that :T:T

Mine : all two bin liners full That I am hoping might just disappear ( actually wishing I had a moth again to eat them..... lol that's not including the one bag strategically placed under the bed ..:)
    🌟
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    So good that you are so Happy ... :-)
    🌟
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's always a good idea for me to pop into your diary Rosa, when I'm looking for some inspiration or motivation.

I've decided that money tends to get spent when I'm feeling like I should really be figuring out other neglected areas in my life. So, my next focus will be on sorting out paperwork and more clutter.

As Sam said, it's lovely hearing you sound happy, and your ideal man does sound ....... well, ideal! Once the weather gets better we'll have to look at which beaches to have a little wander through. The thing is, he could be somewhere having these same conversations with his friends about being single and holding out for someone really special (that's you!).

Have you ever read "how I lived on a pound a day"? Her focus and ability to really shake up a situation reminds me of you! May be worth a read if you can find it cheaply.

I hope you're enjoying your week! MTx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    bellevie wrote: »
    I need some of your energy Rosa. Chaos in every room at the moment!

It does sound like you have enjoyed yourself this month, and too right, its thoroughly deserved!

Bellevie x

Thanks Bellevie! It is still chaos in part of the living room but I am slowly hemming it in and herding it out of the door :D
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    QUOTE : Hopefully he's heading back to his beach side house and talking to his dog about how good it would be to have someone to cook for ;)

Oh He does sound perfect ...lol I just laughed out loud ..he already knows how to sweep you off your feet.

:D perfect for me at any rate... I think you guys are right, he's gotta be out there somewhere!

QUOTE: I've finally sorted through my receipts and stuff pile, my filing pile, and a whole load of other things and it is all tidied away -

This part I just fainted ...I hate sorting receipts ...so cheers to you for that :T:T

I hate it too but now I hate not knowing what's going on with my money even more. All YNAB's fault :rotfl:

Mine : all two bin liners full That I am hoping might just disappear ( actually wishing I had a moth again to eat them..... lol that's not including the one bag strategically placed under the bed ..:)

Shred them then. Seriously, you can't need them that much or you would have noticed by now and there have got to be much better uses of your time than filing it all.

I used to keep every blinkin receipt for aaaaaages and it was just pointless as there was no need. Now I file them in 'This month', when that gets full it's swopped into 'Last Month'. What comes out of 'Last Month' is checked for anything that needs to be kept for a guarantee or claim, and the rest gets shredded. Receipts for guarantees etc live either in the item box or a lever arch file that has all the gadget etc instructions there too. Haven't come across anything I wish I'd kept yet.

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family