ChrisK....._3
ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
So. I was looking for a holiday in June for 4 family members in 2 x twin rooms
Found one on Expedia just right
My wife found the same hotel on JET2
10% Off (and it was cheaper)
Twin or Double - Only 3 rooms left!!!
Jet 2 website said we could finalise room detail later
Not wanting to miss out on this bargain I clicked through, paid deposit. Still no detail???
Contacted the hotel directly to request 2 twins
Hotel said they can't guarantee double or twins????
Contacted JET2 to cancel where their "head of customer service" said I can cancel but I lose my deposit
I explained that they didn't advertise the reservation clearly and the holiday is not until June and neither airline nor hotel have incurred any costs yet so why keep my money? I went on, In fact the hotel have not even reserved me any rooms of any kind (because they can't "guarantee" bed type?) and still advertising "3 rooms only left"
Which met with embarrassing silence from JET2 HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICES

I guess JET2 have no legal obligation to advertise room types whether or not it causes distress. They have my £250 and that's all that matters

Wish I had stayed with Expedia who would have let me choose 2 TWIN beds
If I ruled the world.......

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As I understand it you have made contact with the hotelier and they have confirmed to you that they have rooms in the same price category with both double and twin beds. They have however said that they can not guarantee the bed makeup assignment at this time. Correct?

You don’t mention where you are going or the hotel but June could be a shoulder season and the hotel may have more wriggle room to grant your request than say peak travel months.

You will have agreed to Jet2’s terms and conditions when booking so arguing with the Head of Customer Services about cancellation terms and whether they will make a commercial loss or not at this point on the cancellation of the holiday is not really appropriate. I would actually try to get them on side with you. Explain that you really would like two twin rooms, you understand the situation but ask that your request be added to your reservation. Perhaps they could have a word with the relevant Jet2 hotel contracts manager who in turn may speak with the hotelier about your request. I can understand that they won’t/can’t guarantee it but they can certainly make efforts to help you be allocated one upon arrival.

I would also suggest you then make contact with the hotelier again with your arrival stay details and politely ask again about a request for two twin rooms (they may possibly not have your booking at this point but you are just making contact and building the relationship). Once you have a name of an employee in the reservations department, or the management you have a rapport. Contact again around a week before you arrive and reemphasise the request. Be polite each time.

Whilst a request is just that, believe it or not, neither the hotelier or Jet2 will be purposely wanting to annoy you and work against your wishes. They both want you to have an enjoyable holiday.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I explained that they didn't advertise the reservation clearly and the holiday is not until June and neither airline nor hotel have incurred any costs yet so why keep my money?

Because that's what you agreed to when you made booking. If the hotel themselves cannot guarantee twin beds I doubt Expedia can either.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I often travel with a female friend and obviously as we are not a couple, we require two beds in the room. I just email the hotel concerned a couple of weeks before travel asking for twin beds. Normally, the reply I get is that the request is noted and they will do their best to comply but cannot guarantee. We have never been disappointed.

I like Jet2 and in fact I have two upcoming trips with them this year. One with my husband and the other with my friend.
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It!!!8217;s not false advertising, they stated Twin OR Double. Youre now wanting to change that to a specific room type. Jet 2 probably has cheaper prices because they!!!8217;re taking whichever rooms are leftover. The hotel doesnt have a crystal ball to be able to tell you which rooms will be remaining in 5 months time.

They probably will have some of each room type available so could help meet your preference. It!!!8217;s important to note though that it!!!8217;s a preference on your part, not an obligation on theirs, and so you need to be nice to them as they!!!8217;re doing you a favour.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Of course the hotel can guarantee a twin or a double. They have them, as you have seen on Expedia. They just dont want to!
    You have given them plenty notice of your request so if you dont get what you want, create holy murder on the day
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    ..., believe it or not, neither the hotelier or Jet2 will be purposely wanting to annoy you and work against your wishes. They both want you to have an enjoyable holiday.

They (JET 2 and Hotel) had my money for 24 hours. They have not spent a dime as a result of my booking. If I buy a black t-shirt shirt from Tesco and find it's not quite the colour I thought it was, they will refund me without quibble because Tesco value the customer. JET2 could refund me without spending a dime, they haven't, because the law does not make them and that's the ONLY reason. They know that instead of looking forward to our summer holiday I feel absolutely miserable but they do not care. That's it
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    pattycake wrote: »
    I often travel with a female friend and obviously as we are not a couple, we require two beds in the room. I just email the hotel concerned a couple of weeks before travel asking for twin beds. Normally, the reply I get is that the request is noted and they will do their best to comply but cannot guarantee. We have never been disappointed.

I like Jet2 and in fact I have two upcoming trips with them this year. One with my husband and the other with my friend.

The key difference is that you were aware of the risk and took it. I was not and would never have taken any such risks
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    It!!!8217;s not false advertising, they stated Twin OR Double. Youre now wanting to change ...

I don't want to change anything. I would be happy to get my money back and let JET2 sell it to someone who does want it. After all they ONLY HAVE 3 ROOMS LEFT. For a high profile company to hide behind their legal advantage? This level of customer service in this day and age comes under abhorrent. Legal but just nasty
    JET2 head of customer service really needs to come to one of my lessons where I will teach him the industry standard definitions of CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS and how they relate to CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Of course the hotel can guarantee a twin or a double. They have them, as you have seen on Expedia. They just dont want to!
    You have given them plenty notice of your request so if you dont get what you want, create holy murder on the day

Actually I think that's the answer. They certainly could reserve me twins but they have no intentions whilst they have no legal obligation to me but could sell them at a premium nearer to June. Since JET2 are quite happy to torment me for a couple of hundred, the least I can do is make sure the hotel staff are tormented for the whole time I'm there. Good call
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ^

WOW!

Sounds like you are going to have a great experience at the hotel and on holiday if that is the attitude you plan to take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure