PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    We are getting our living room decorated in the new year and I was going to get a colour, but I think I will go for white now. I see white walls on so many simple living and minimalist blogs and think it looks so clean and fresh. I think I will go for white walls and find some new artwork for the walls to add colour.:A

I really liked looking at her apartment tour!:)

I think I will reorganise my clothes later today.:D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We are getting our living room decorated in the new year and I was going to get a colour, but I think I will go for white now. I see white walls on so many simple living and minimalist blogs and think it looks so clean and fresh. I think I will go for white walls and find some new artwork for the walls to add colour.:A

I really liked looking at her apartment tour!:)

I think I will reorganise my clothes later today.:D

I think the only thing wrong with some of the capsule wardrobe blogs is that they usually have a selection of clothes for a season and then store the clothes they are not using somewhere else.

I cannot do this as I don't have anywhere to store them. I have enough space for about 20-22 hangers (including for coats). Underneath the rail we each have a set of plastic drawers (6 big and 4 small). I used the larger ones for my shoes and the smaller for socks, underwear, pj bottoms etc. Other than this I have two drawers in a pine chest of drawers that I use for exercise clothes, outdoor clothes and jumpers.

Where am I supposed to store the non-used items?

So my capsule wardrobe is an all year one.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used to read some of them, thanks for the links. Brilliant.:)

Now I know what I will be reading today with cups of tea.:D

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/becoming-minimalist-start-here/ - Great blog I recommend signing up for his email newsletters too - very inspiring

This is probably my favourite one. I get his email newsletter and it is always full of great, thoughtful comments.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I think the only thing wrong with some of the capsule wardrobe blogs is that they usually have a selection of clothes for a season and then store the clothes they are not using somewhere else.

I cannot do this as I don't have anywhere to store them. I have enough space for about 20-22 hangers (including for coats). Underneath the rail we each have a set of plastic drawers (6 big and 4 small). I used the larger ones for my shoes and the smaller for socks, underwear, pj bottoms etc. Other than this I have two drawers in a pine chest of drawers that I use for exercise clothes, outdoor clothes and jumpers.

Where am I supposed to store the non-used items?

So my capsule wardrobe is an all year one.

Yes, I know what you mean. I would find it easier if I could do that too.

I am always amazed how huge the closets are in the US. I live in a small house and I find it hard to have enough storage space, even with all the decluttering I've done.:p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, I know what you mean. I would find it easier if I could do that too.

I am always amazed how huge the closets are in the US. I live in a small house and I find it hard to have enough storage space, even with all the decluttering I've done.:p

Hi,

We live in a small house too and have got rid of lots of things and also have been really clever with storage to make the best of the space.

I bet you cannot watch this one without your jaw dropping open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpmB-0EQheA

The closet tour starts at 4:38.

I know consumerism is so much worse than in America but :eek: Just think of the time, money and effort to just even buy all that stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Remembered another link to a short (20 mins ish) YouTube video

The story of stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eWBg8ojno4
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I'm getting some good ideas here, and it helps to connect with like-minded people, so thank you to all.

I need to put winter and summer things away to make room at the change of warm to cold seasons. I have found the zipped plastic bags that bedding comes in very useful. Tops and jumpers etc are packed away clean, and then stored in the top shelves of cupboards, which being only 5' I can't reach easily. I get some out to swap around in about April and October. Sometimes I'll leave them for a few years then they feel like new again. We were lucky when we bought the house, that there are lots of built in cupboards. With some of them we can fit hanging storage shelves and repurposed bedside cabinet inside, so very useful for hobby equipment too.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prinzessilein...that's 9 advent calendars for one family..gobsmacked. Love your traditions, sounds perfect
    Personally, I reckon they should dispense with the eight "human" ones, and just have the one for the dog. :rotfl:

It's not something we have at all here; because we celebrate Yule, the Winter Solstice. So by Xmas Day it's all over and done with for us. :D

Luckily we have a canine guest staying over Xmas and New Year, so we have the perfect excuse not to get hoiked into any "gatherings". (I so don't do gatherings). It'll just be Mr LW and myself, and Ronnie, the long-haired Jack Russell; he'll be with us for almost three weeks! :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

We live in a small house too and have got rid of lots of things and also have been really clever with storage to make the best of the space.

I bet you cannot watch this one without your jaw dropping open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpmB-0EQheA

The closet tour starts at 4:38.

I know consumerism is so much worse than in America but :eek: Just think of the time, money and effort to just even buy all that stuff.
    :eek: Consider my jaw well and truly dropped! By gum, you could fit my entire flat in that woman's bedroom with room left over and I have never seen so many garments in any place which wasn't a shop - absolutely riveting viewing.

Which I did whilst doing some hand-sewing (mending). Cos I is simple, I is.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    In pursuit of a simpler life I have decided to take a leaf out of OH's book re clothes. He is tall but not wide, so it's not easy finding things that fit well; he won't wear anything with writing, a logo or pictures on it and he doesn't like patterns. These things limit his options somewhat, so his wardrobe has evolved to contain plain trousers, shorts, t-shirts and linen shirts in navy, grey, blue and white. Everything goes with everything else and he doesn't have to think about what to wear. When something starts to look a bit shabby, it is relegated to dog walking/ gardening where it stays until too disreputable even for that, and is replaced by something as similar as possible, ( not always an easy task!). I haven't bought any clothes apart from underwear and footwear for about two years and when I do I will be going for plain and practical good quality items. We'll probably end up looking like Howard and Hilda! ( For those youngsters among you, they were a couple from an old sitcom who dressed in matching outfits)
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport