Broadband only

Options
Hi if I have broadband-only, Sky has an offer at the moment for 59gb £25 a month! Will I be able to watch television programmes etc, I have Netflix and an Amazon firestick. At the moment I have a Virgin package £36.50 a month so if I go with Sky it will be a nice save any suggestions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks
Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's significantly cheaper to have phone line and internet as a bundle rather than just broadband on its own. You don't have to use the phone line, its just that its how the broadband is delivered. It may not be as fast as Virgin if you're on a faster speed.

But yes you do what you want down your internet connection, Netflix, Amazon and whatever else, if you're sure 59Gb (seems an odd amount!) is enough for you per month. Check what you'll be charged if you go over that amount.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    viv0147 wrote: »
    Hi if I have broadband-only, Sky has an offer at the moment for 59gb £25 a month! Will I be able to watch television programmes etc, I have Netflix and an Amazon firestick. At the moment I have a Virgin package £36.50 a month so if I go with Sky it will be a nice save any suggestions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

I'm reading your post as you have Virgin BB & TV at the moment and you're wanting to know if just going for Sky BB will suit you(no TV package)?

Is that correct?
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    you are correct! I have now been offered by Sky a package for broadband telephone and 250 channels for £26 a month for 18 months Ps my mistake that was the speed lol

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    you are correct! I have now been offered by Sky a package for broadband telephone and 250 channels for £26 a month for 18 months Ps my mistake that was the speed lol

The Sky Essentials package @ £26 a month is a basic 'Freesat From Sky' package which means it doesn't include any Sky channels such as Sky One or Atlantic but does give you a recordable box. The broadband component however is ADSL (copper pair) and not fibre to the cabinet. So the average speed is 11Mbps or a maximum of about 19Mbps, it could of course be less depending on location. If this is adequate for yourself then it won't be a problem but something to keep in mind.

BTW, if you click on the 'quote' button under someones post we'll know for sure who you are replying to.
  • viv0147
    Options
    The Sky Essentials package @ £26 a month is a basic 'Freesat From Sky' package which means it doesn't include any Sky channels such as Sky One or Atlantic but does give you a recordable box. The broadband component however is ADSL (copper pair) and not fibre to the cabinet. So the average speed is 11Mbps or a maximum of about 19Mbps, it could of course be less depending on location. If this is adequate for yourself then it won't be a problem but something to keep in mind.
    I live alone so I will be the only one using, I have a few google home devices plus 4k Amazon Firestick and Netflix to have no problems at the moment would I be wiser to stay with Virgin! I have 50 Mbps with them I am satisfied with their service just trying to save some money. Thanks

BTW, if you click on the 'quote' button under someones post we'll know for sure who you are replying to.
    I live alone so I will be the only one using, I have a few google home devices plus 4k Amazon Firestick and Netflix to have no problems at the moment would I be wiser to stay with Virgin! I have 50 Mbps with them I am satisfied with their service just trying to save some money. Thanks

• [Deleted User]
    Options

If you're using the 4K content streaming on Netflix for instance then you need at least 25Mbps which rules out the ADSL on the Sky Essentials package although they may offer fibre for just a little more. Any fibre or Virgin cable BB would suit yourself.
  • viv0147
    Options
    If you're using the 4K content streaming on Netflix for instance then you need at least 25Mbps which rules out the ADSL on the Sky Essentials package although they may offer fibre for just a little more. Any fibre or Virgin cable BB would suit yourself.
    Thanks there is an offer for broadband and telephone with Sky superfast £25 a month for 18 months with a guaranteed minimum speed of 57 no TV which is okay by me because I have Netflix and the 4k Firestick how does that sound?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks there is an offer for broadband and telephone with Sky superfast £25 a month for 18 months with a guaranteed minimum speed of 57 no TV which is okay by me because I have Netflix and the 4k Firestick how does that sound?

It's more than fast enough for your needs. Do you not watch any live TV? If not you can save on the TV license as well.
  • viv0147
    Options
    Thank you, Collin, for all your help! You have me thinking now about the TV licence lol

• viv0147
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, I have since giving them 30-day notice had a new offer from Virgin, the deal which I have excepted is £3.50 a month cheaper taking it to £33 but they also doubled my broadband to 100mb and a load of extra tv channels so well worth the effort and a special thank you to Collin.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family