Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to take 10mins to draw up a budget. Just list income, and all essential outgoings. With the remainder, cut some of the luxuries.
  • Taiko
    Options
    You'll need medical evidence as to why you did not complete the previous course to be considered for the fee loan. Also, if you are behind on the repayments on the previous loans, you'll be ineligible for support until you are up to date.
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    Options
    We are supporting our daughters Student Finance application and would be grateful if someone could clarify the following.

OH earns a small amount from Self Employment as well as a full time Salary. We have input the £180 business profit from this in Other Income but then get confused with the section under Your Commitments for Amount of Allowable expenses do we need to put the £20 mileage allowance he claimed against his £200 income from the self employment. Have found in the notes to input details for things you have claimed tax relief on which of course, he never paid tax on that £20 in the first place.

Very confused. Any help much appreciated. thanks
  • Taiko
    Options
    If it wasn't included in that £200, include it in the expenses section. Not that it'll make much difference.
  • Tinyshoes
    Options
    Taiko wrote: »
    If it wasn't included in that £200, include it in the expenses section. Not that it'll make much difference.

Thanks for replying but Im sorry for still being a bit confused over this. Yes it was included in the £200.

His turnover was £200 from self employment, on his tax return he input £20 travel expenses, so his taxable profit shows as £180 on his tax return which is what he has put on student finance, but also on the self employment part of his tax return the £20 shows as an Allowable business expense. This is what is confusing me as is this the same as Amount of Allowable Expenses under Your commitments or am I just making things too complicated. Thanks in advance.
  • Taiko
    Options
    Input £180 and leave expenses blank, or £200 and put £20 in the expenses. Either is fine.
  • Tinyshoes
    Options
    Thanks very much Taiko for taking the time to put me straight. And hope your problems are getting sorted that I read on another thread. Really appreciate it.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    skipsmum wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll have no problem getting medical evidence (had cancer - chemo, op etc etc). I still owe the previous loans but they are deferred. Does that mean they are not up to date? I complete the deferment form every year.
    Thanks again x

As long as you're completing the forms properly every year, this counts as being up to date.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We are supporting youngest sons claim.

Back at the start of April we had a letter about household income so we photocopied all of the evidence and completed the financial evidence confirmation form - 2011/12 and sent it off. Then in mid April we got the letter and everything seemed to be fine. He got his letter about payment advice, payment timetable and student finance breakfdown etc and he signed the form and off it went. That seemed to be it.

Then while we were away an identical letter arrived asking for household income details plus the same evidence form but this letter said they had not received a reply to the 1st letter. The deadline for this was May 16th while we were away.

Not sure what to do now, wether to ignore it, assuming its just a computer spewing out letters or wether to complete the evidence form and send all of the photocopies off yet again?
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    We are supporting youngest sons claim.

Back at the start of April we had a letter about household income so we photocopied all of the evidence and completed the financial evidence confirmation form - 2011/12 and sent it off. Then in mid April we got the letter and everything seemed to be fine. He got his letter about payment advice, payment timetable and student finance breakfdown etc and he signed the form and off it went. That seemed to be it.

Then while we were away an identical letter arrived asking for household income details plus the same evidence form but this letter said they had not received a reply to the 1st letter. The deadline for this was May 16th while we were away.

Not sure what to do now, wether to ignore it, assuming its just a computer spewing out letters or wether to complete the evidence form and send all of the photocopies off yet again?
    Personally I'd call them, tell them what you've said above, and ask them what is going on and what they want you to do - don't take any chances things are OK. The SLC are not one of the more competent financial institutions in existance (been hugely messed around by them myself, and I'm not the only one), unfortunately, so it's best to be certain. I'd also recommend requesting acknowledgement of your query and confirmation of their response (hopefully that all is OK!) in writing, if I were you, so they can't attempt to change their story at a later date (yes, experience again...).

If you do wind up sending it all again, you might also want to include copies of the 'confirmation' letter you received mid April to sign and return and the "you haven't replied" letter you just received, and request a response from their complaints department as to why they sent a confirmation pack if they thought you hadn't replied...

~Jes :)
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback