julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you all had a lovely weekend!

I did a fair bit of cooking this weekend, another big batch of chilli, and also finally tried out a seitan recipe I've been wanting to give a shot for ages. It's called chickwheat, basically fake chicken pieces made of chickpeas and gluten - probably doesn't sound delicious to people unfamiliar with seitan, but it's soooo good! Seems to have turned out well, but we shall see tomorrow night when we try it in a recipe. Making meat subs rather than occasionally buying them because we're too lazy to prep a 'proper' meal would be fantastic.

In other news, I've finally taken up matches betting, after also considering it for quite a while. Started yesterday, and have made around £53 so far, so not a bad start! The first 2 bets were very daunting, I was terrified of getting it all wrong somehow, but it's all pretty logical and I feel more confident already. Will keep you posted on the progress :)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • julicorn
    Options
    Greetings from Porto! That's where our surprise holiday ended up in this time! :heart2: We're in an absolutely fabulous hotel, and the weather is lovely (19 degrees), which is helping the annoying cold I've been having since the end of last week. Having a great time here though, eating all the food (turns out you can get vegan versions of absolutely everything, including Francesinhas!) and just wondering around exploring.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds lovely. Enjoy :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thanks beanie!
  • julicorn
    Options
    Back in the UK, and the forum looks all different - eek! Seems to be able to do a few things the old one couldn't do though, so I'm probably the only one not complaining. 

Next week or the week after I should get my first Appen payment, should be around £200 for January I think. Exciting times! The matched betting is also going well, getting close to £200 profit so far, and have only really been putting in a bit of time on the weekends. Will definitely keep that going. 

Today we fiiiinaaaaallyyyyyyy ordered new cabinet doors for our kitchen. I am so excited! They should arrive in around 2 weeks I believe. Dark blue at the bottom, and then paintable ones for the top (we want to paint them 'Middleton Pink' to match the wall colour). Maybe I'll post a photo here once that drawn-out DIY project is finished. I can't wait to see it all properly put together!

And finally, I'm trying out a meal planning app/website at the moment called 'Plan to Eat'. Really liking it so far! It's got a good recipe clipper too, saves me having to scroll past long rambling blog posts just to get to the recipes. 

Hope you're all holding up well in the storm (if it's affecting where you are) and having a quiet Sunday :heart:
  • julicorn
    Options
    First day back in the office, and it turns out my colleague is friends with some of the new coronavirus cases in Brighton  :# Work are ramping up the security precautions as well, will see how this one plays out. 

In an unrelated note, have any of you watched Parasite yet? We're thinking of watching it this weekend. Went to watch The Lighthouse last weekend because we've got a bunch of 'free' tickets left, it was good but it didn't leave as much of an impact on me as The Witch did I'd say.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Blimey that's a tad scary.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • julicorn
    Options
    Yeah, it feels a little close to home, but no use in panicking about it now I suppose. Will just need to be careful, wash hands even more than usual, and hope for the best. 
  • julicorn
    Options
    Another milestone reached: As of this month, we are 6 years ahead on our mortgage!
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Excellent work! Well done Mr & Mrs julicorn 😀
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback