julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    julicorn wrote: »
    Where I'm front is mostly famous for savoury dishes. People from other states in Germany would associate Thuringia mainly with bratwurst, but also really nice potato dumplings (Klöße) that you would usually have with a roast. There were a lot of roulades growing up as well. I still love Klöße, now that we're vegan my mum makes the most wonderful nut roast with Klöße and red cabbage whenever Mr Julicorn and I come to visit!
    Oh my! In practise, thats what I eat too, though I'm vegetarian rather than vegan. The dumplings sound wonderful, and I'm told that sauerkraut is fermented cabbage? In other words, full of pre and pro biotics :) thats one of my aims this year, to get going with fermented food - I tried a couple of years ago, even before my kitchen renovation, and I couldn't handle it.
    Growing up, we did have some great cakes though, lots of them are on my list to veganise. Some of my favourites were:
    Donauwellen (sheet cakes with cherries, cream and chocolate)

Hanchen-Jensen-Torte (cream and meringue layer cake with either gooseberries, cherries or citrus fruits)

Maulwurfkuchen (these are just made from Dr Oetker cake mixes, but it's basically a cream banana cake)

Aaaand now I'm hungry :rotfl:
    I'm not surprised you're hungry :rotfl: cherries and chocolate, drool .... Cream banana cake is famous in my family too, my dad went lumberjacking in Canada in an effort to get us to emigrate (long story) and came back talking incessantly about banana cream pie :).
    Ooh, one other goal I just remembered thinking about was that I'd quite like to get our spending (without OPs) down to under half of our income this year, by which I mean income from our main jobs, the etsy shop and survey sites. This year we were quite far off that, so I'm not sure if it will be feasible, but I'm hoping my etsy shop will grow a little more, and that we can reduce our spending a bit more as well.
    You're definitely going to be FIRE :A in focussing on that now. This is going to be a great year for you and your OH :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Wow what a diary! You have done amazingly well and I am so impressed! You will continue to do wonderful things, and I am excited to see how the goals work out this year!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Oh my! In practise, thats what I eat too, though I'm vegetarian rather than vegan. The dumplings sound wonderful, and I'm told that sauerkraut is fermented cabbage? In other words, full of pre and pro biotics :) thats one of my aims this year, to get going with fermented food - I tried a couple of years ago, even before my kitchen renovation, and I couldn't handle it.
    The dumplings are honestly the nicest thing, they're made from equal parts grated and mashed potato, with a few croutons in the middle, and simmered. Most Germans buy prepared mixes though, they're a pain to make from scratch.
    Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage, that's right! I never used to like it as a child, but now I love it. Where I'm from, you'd usually have sausages, sauerkraut and mash. Good luck making it yourself! To you like kimchi as well?
    You're definitely going to be FIRE :A in focussing on that now. This is going to be a great year for you and your OH :)
    FIRE would be fantastic. I still sometimes wonder if we're doing the right thing, because we're throwing so much of our money at the mortgage compared to more long-term investments / savings, but we'd just really like to buy a house in the next few years... To be honest, we're much better with money than basically everyone else I know, I think I'm just someone who gets easily anxious and overthinks things far too much.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • julicorn
    Options
    jodles16 wrote: »
    Wow what a diary! You have done amazingly well and I am so impressed! You will continue to do wonderful things, and I am excited to see how the goals work out this year!

Jodles :D

Thanks so much Jodles! :heart2:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The dumplings are honestly the nicest thing, they're made from equal parts grated and mashed potato, with a few croutons in the middle, and simmered.
    Yum. Yummity yum :)
    Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage, that's right! I never used to like it as a child, but now I love it. Where I'm from, you'd usually have sausages, sauerkraut and mash. Good luck making it yourself! To you like kimchi as well?
    I haven't had it yet :o busted :p
    FIRE would be fantastic. I still sometimes wonder if we're doing the right thing, because we're throwing so much of our money at the mortgage compared to more long-term investments / savings, but we'd just really like to buy a house in the next few years... To be honest, we're much better with money than basically everyone else I know, I think I'm just someone who gets easily anxious and overthinks things far too much.
    Everybody wants different things, and as long as you're not depriving yourselves of things that you guys really want, it'll be fine. I know that percentage wise, investments often do financially better than repaying a mortgage - but the security of owning your own place, or a large part of it if you trade up, is usually really important for peace of mind.

Its the weekend though! So have a good'un :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • BVic28
    BVic28 Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can totally relate to your comments about anxiety over future financial plans. I’m constantly second guessing what I’m doing and what I should be saving for!
    Mortgage balance as of end of Dec 19 - £120,675
    MFW 2020 challenge #35 £94.62/£750; Jan running total - £94.62
    Save 12k in 2020 challenge #34 £560.20/£6000; Jan running total - £560.20
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning julicorn, just wanted to say I love your diary and great goals for this year (albeit they're tiring me out just reading them)! Organisation really is the key to money-saving on so many levels, having food ready to go and an improved home will give you a real boost when you're worn out and on the verge of making a hasty and expensive poor choice. Good luck this year!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • julicorn
    Options
    Its the weekend though! So have a good'un :)

Thank you, you too! :heart2: (Also, try some kimchi sometime, maybe in a bao bun with some marinated tofu ;) )
  • julicorn
    Options
    BVic28 wrote: »
    I can totally relate to your comments about anxiety over future financial plans. I’m constantly second guessing what I’m doing and what I should be saving for!

Thank you for saying that, it honestly helps hearing others are in a similar boat! I guess just the fact that we are doing something and are thinking about it puts us in a better position than most, but still!
  • julicorn
    Options
    Morning julicorn, just wanted to say I love your diary and great goals for this year (albeit they're tiring me out just reading them)! Organisation really is the key to money-saving on so many levels, having food ready to go and an improved home will give you a real boost when you're worn out and on the verge of making a hasty and expensive poor choice. Good luck this year!
    Thanks so much for saying that! :heart2:

Today is going well so far on the organisation front. I've started 2 patterns and should be able to finish stitching one of them tonight (ready to photograph and list tomorrow), ordered some glass food containers (should arrive Wednesday), and cooked a tasty lunch (lemon & garlic mushrooms & beans).

One thing I forgot to mention is that January is generally lethal for our eating out budget, because of Veganuary. :rotfl: Restaurant chains add SO many options, it's absolutely insane. So far, we've tried the Pizza Hut 'pepperphoni' pizza and the KFC no chicken burger, but haven't tried the Gregg's steak bake and donuts and the subway meatless meatball marinara yet. Not peak money saving here, but all more or less covered in YNAB. :rotfl: I think Brewdog also has vegan food half price this month, and Yo Sushi tends to have good January offers as well... oh dear.

I'm off to do some food shopping now so we're not even more tempted! Have a lovely weekend, everyone :heart2:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business