Child maintenance and court order “extras”

Options
Hello

I divorced in 2016 and had a court order framed as follows
£854 per child for maintenance
60% of private school fees and school “extras”

My only child now of school age is my daughter, who for 6th form has moved from a private school to a 6th form college. When at the private school the school bus was in with the fees, and the main extra was music lessons.

The 6th form college isn’t fee paying, so that’s financially easier. I’ve just been sent the school bus pass (£360 per year) by my ex for payment of 60%. The whole “extras” thing isn’t really defined, so I’m unsure what these extras should be over child maintenance.

I would appreciate advice on what “extras” should cover, and whether a school bus pass is one of those extras, separate to maintenance.

Many thanks

David

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On a technicality you could argue that your child is now at college and not school.
  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    David

Well done for looking to do the right thing. Unforeseen, quite apart from wanting to support your children, the normal (legally enforceable) rule with maintenance is that it applies while they're in full time education.

Yes, in my view a school bus is an extra.

Good luck and keep us posted Humdinger
  • Helidoc
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Humdinger.

To be honest £218 for a years college travel is a drop in the ocean compared to the £160k I’ve paid in the last 3 years and 9 months, although apparently my ex thinks that wasn’t enough

Best

David
  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    David

It's difficult to say much more without knowing the figures and set up. My view is possibly coloured by the fact that, perhaps unusually for a mother, I'm paying 100% of school fees for just 1 child (cf several in your case!?) who may go to state sixth form in Sep 2020. If your ex wife has been paying the other 40%, she as well as you might need these 2 years to save money to help with uni costs? So money you pay will be spent on your child anyway, not just now but also down the line?

These children are expensive, no?!

Let me know how it goes David; again, good luck Humdinger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family