Correction in progress!

Options

Comments

• thenewcomer
    Options
    It's already been tested multiple times. My allocation is currently 75/25 is 3 trackers and I'll do nothing until it hits something like 65/35 when I'll probably rebalance back to my starting target allocation of 70/30.

do your ratios refer to share versus bonds?
    Aim to retire by 45.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    'Yes Prime Minister' sketch for those that aren't familiar.....

https://youtu.be/DGscoaUWW2M

:rotfl:So good that I had to watch it twice.
    Thanks for that.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe Woodford will recover and Fundsmith give back some gains.......the closing prices today will be interesting, fairly meaningless, but interesting.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Uh oh, not another passive v active debate :-/

And why not, we have to blame someone. The Daily Mail/Express tells me so.
  • Fatbritabroad
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    Very interesting watching prices steam since the markets opened. Initial 3%+ drop on UK indices now recovered to under 2% drop on the 100 and All Share. Looks like Europe is following suit.

Not exactly the bloodbath suggested by headlines.

Just checked prices again. The 100 is now under 1.6% drop and the All Share under 1.7%.

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about? I may be naive but US and Asia is looking like a sharp but straightforward correction. UK and Europe: less sharp and a tad infected by US/Asian markets? Or am I missing something?

Media like to blow things out of all proportion.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    I'm too much of a novice to add anything meaningful to the thread so decided to start reading 'Your Money and Your Brain: become a smarter more successful investor, the neuroscience way' (Xmas present). Can't be any worse than listening to/reading the BBC News.

Just checked the markets for the first time since I ate my toast this morning. The UK and Europe down around 2%. Dow and Nasdaq have dropped a smidge above 0.6% so far.

My portfolio is down 3.93% over the last week and 1.15% today. That doesn't seem especially scary in the overall scheme of things? But ignorance may be bliss.

Not planning to do anything except eat toast and watch. Would be interested in knowing how others are allocated at the moment, and the %age impact so far.

Before the correction began I was 4% cash and of the rest....

79% Equities, 21% Fixed Interest.
    63% Passive, 35% Active, 2% Individual shares (don't ask).
    UK 24.51, US 17.3, Global (ex UK) 16.18, Global (inc UK) 22.66, Europe 6.96, Japan 5.09, Emerging 3.35, Pacific Asia 2.4, China 1.55.

Yep.some crossover between the regions but I tried to allow for that in the selected funds.

Not heavily weighted toward any particular sector but the usual culprits do dominate a bit: financials, technology, healthcare.
  • Johnnyboy11
    Options
    Maybe Woodford will recover and Fundsmith give back some gains.......the closing prices today will be interesting, fairly meaningless, but interesting.

I very much doubt this. ZeroHedge should retire Gartman in favour of Woodford!
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Options

Not sure yet. So far Fundsmith has dropped the least of all of my funds (I have no bonds). Its about 5% down over the last week.
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 6:53PM
    Options
    There!!!8217;s a bit of a downturn in traditional investments.

Those invested in passive funds have been spanked, along with those in managed funds.......(I!!!8217;m assuming DIYer!!!8217;s are spanking themselves)

Those in balanced portfolios are getting spanked on both cheeks, and those in unbalanced portfolios are not sure from what direction they!!!8217;re being spanked.

What!!!8217;s not to enjoy about all the hot air that has gone before this thread, being regurgitated during this thread, and will continue way off in to the sunset.

On a serious note, what plans have any of you got to crystallise gains..._

All right....which one of you have hacked my post (remove numbers and it reads perfect)
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing to see, move along now please. Just another bump in the road, and as I'm in for the LT, stuck another £10k in today. Will put in more over the next few days if the correction continues. 10 years tiime, this correction will be forgotten (famous last words, I hope not!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure