Currency for Bali

Options
Hi All,

I'm travelling to Bali in just over two weeks. I'm looking for some advice regarding currency. Other than various articles online on how to avoid Currency Scams whilst over in Bali, there isn't much advice regarding when/where to convert.

Me and the OH both have Revolut cards and this is what we aim to use primarily. Has anyone got any experience with using one in Bali? We used them last year in Thailand and they worked 90% of the time.

We aim to convert at least some cash for places that cards aren't accepted (markets etc.). If anyone has experience of travelling Bali, is it best to convert here in the UK or wait until in Bali?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've not heard of these 'currency scams', was in Bali last week.

Your Revolut will work fine, but don't rely on it (or any single card when traveling).

Use a fee-free card for purchases when possible and cash withdrawals, plenty of ATMs and none charge. Sign up for Starling Bank, Monzo and/or Loot.io prepaid.

You can exchange cash pounds if necessary in an exchange shop, better rates than UK, no harm in a little haggling.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »

Your Revolut will work fine, but don't rely on it (or any single card when traveling).

Use a fee-free card for purchases when possible and cash withdrawals, plenty of ATMs and none charge. Sign up for Starling Bank, Monzo and/or Loot.io prepaid.

You can exchange cash pounds if necessary in an exchange shop, better rates than UK, no harm in a little haggling.

I almost got scammed in an exchange office in Sanur in Bali.

Some tips...

- Don't use back alley exchange shops, they'll offer better rates, but if you're off your guard you'll get ripped off.

- Exchange small amounts. Don't fall the trick of being told that exchange rates are just about to go down, ie. encouraging you to change more.

- Once money has been counted out to you, under no circumstances let the bloke dishing out the money touch it again.

- Count the money in your hand as soon as you get it, and don't leave the kiosk until you're happy.

- They aren't all crooks.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »

Warnings are (or were last time I looked) all over the Bali Tripadvisor forum.

We were almost scammed, just arrived and obviously a bit jet-lagged.
    Saw a good rate in a shop selling carvings on Jalan Tamblingan (?), Sanur.
    My brain kicked in and I put my hand over the piles of money he'd counted out.
    Clearly not what he wanted or expected.
    He wanted to be able to pick them up, tap them on the counter (which was wooden planks with gaps in) and let some drop through.
    When I insisted on counting the money, he suddenly decided he didn't have enough to complete the transaction.

If you do change money at these sorts of shops - and the rates they advertise will be tempting - take special note of PompeyPete's advice that I've bolded.
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    I almost got scammed in an exchange office in Sanur in Bali.

Some tips...

- Don't use back alley exchange shops, they'll offer better rates, but if you're off your guard you'll get ripped off.

- Exchange small amounts. Don't fall the trick of being told that exchange rates are just about to go down, ie. encouraging you to change more.

- Once money has been counted out to you, under no circumstances let the bloke dishing out the money touch it again.

- Count the money in your hand as soon as you get it, and don't leave the kiosk until you're happy.

- They aren't all crooks.
    We changed out money at Circle K, here's one in Sanur opposite Hardys supermarket. No idea
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Warnings are (or were last time I looked) all over the Bali Tripadvisor forum.

We were almost scammed, just arrived and obviously a bit jet-lagged.
    Saw a good rate in a shop selling carvings on Jalan Tamblingan (?), Sanur.
    My brain kicked in and I put my hand over the piles of money he'd counted out.
    Clearly not what he wanted or expected.
    He wanted to be able to pick them up, tap them on the counter (which was wooden planks with gaps in) and let some drop through.
    When I insisted on counting the money, he suddenly decided he didn't have enough to complete the transaction.

If you do change money at these sorts of shops - and the rates they advertise will be tempting - take special note of PompeyPete's advice that I've bolded.

We changed out money at Circle K, here's one in Sanur opposite Hardys supermarket. No idea

We'd only just arrived as well, after gruelling flights via Amsterdam and Jakarta. When you're tired is probably when you're most exposed to con tricks.

Our money obviously went through the gaps in the wooden desk or a trap-door. Our loss would have been the Rupiah equivalent of £50 on a £200 exchange.

It was close to Hardy's where we almost got 'stung'.

Shame really, because you don't want a bad taste in your money as soon as you've just arrived.

We enjoyed Sanur, and of course beautiful Ubud, but much less enthused about Kuta and Legian, both being full of drunken Aussies, often with a sob story to tell, and Legian in particular being very seedy.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    We'd only just arrived as well, after gruelling flights via Amsterdam and Jakarta. When you're tired is probably when you're most exposed to con tricks.

Our money obviously went through the gaps in the wooden desk or a trap-door. Our loss would have been the Rupiah equivalent of £50 on a £200 exchange.

It was close to Hardy's where we almost got 'stung'.

Shame really, because you don't want a bad taste in your money as soon as you've just arrived.

We enjoyed Sanur, and of course beautiful Ubud, but much less enthused about Kuta and Legian, both being full of drunken Aussies, often with a sob story to tell, and Legian in particular being very seedy.
    We go in to Kuta a couple of times during our holiday, to see how the other half live (or drink :cool:), do a bit of shopping and enjoy the contrast to Sanur but wouldn't want to stay there.
    Last time we were in Sanur a few shops had closed and a big hotel on the beach too.
    I hope it's not a trend. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport