School Holiday Fines

Options
Sorry, theres probably been hundreds of posts but only just joined!!

My ex partner is thinking of taking the kids on holiday in the UK, in term time, but been trying to find the answer but can I also be fined the £60 as were not together?

and vice versa if I take the kids on holiday in term time, can he be fined?

Also, my son is 4 and in Reception year, someone said I can take him out as he's not 5 yet so wont get fined, is that right?

Thanks

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes either of you could be fined assuming you both have parental responsibility.
    I imagine the council will fine the primary parent first.
    You won't get fined for a 4 year old missing nursery (as they are not yet in school) although will be easier if you let them know and save them trying to check everything is okay.
    You could, of course, ask for permission in advance from the school.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can ask permission from the school but unless your reason for going in term-time fits their exceptional circumstances, which varies from area to area it won't get authorised.

It is then upto the Head Teacher whether they refer it for a Penalty Notice.

The charge is £60 per parent, per child. That includes parents who don't live together, though I have heard of cases where the non-resident parent hasn't had to pay by proving they were against the other parent taking the child out of school. If you don't pay within 21 days, the price will be £120 per child, per parent.

If your child is 4 then you won't be charged anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure