Charged for pre-existing damage in hotel room (US holiday)

Options
2»

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Were you informed they'd charge your card for any damage? Was it in the T&Cs somewhere? If not, they can't just charge your card even if they have proof you did it (which they clearly don't).
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Were you informed they'd charge your card for any damage? Was it in the T&Cs somewhere? If not, they can't just charge your card even if they have proof you did it (which they clearly don't).

I book hotels and motels in the US on a very regular basis and when checking in and signing the paperwork (or more likely a display screen), they always have a clause stating that you agree to accept the charges for any extras, damage or losses to the rooms.

As to the proof of damage.
    If the place the OP stayed at is like most others, the housekeeping staff will have a checksheet for each room that needs to be completed or ticked when it has been cleaned each day.
    I wouldn't be surprised if part of this check requires them to make sure that there was no damage to any part of the room. I'm not saying that they always do this check, simply that they may well have paperwork stating that they did so.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I book hotels and motels in the US on a very regular basis and when checking in and signing the paperwork (or more likely a display screen), they always have a clause stating that you agree to accept the charges for any extras, damage or losses to the rooms.

If the place the OP stayed at is like most others, the housekeeping staff will have a checksheet for each room that needs to be completed or ticked when it has been cleaned each day.
    I wouldn't be surprised if part of this check requires them to make sure that there was no damage to any part of the room. I'm not saying that they always do this check, simply that they may well have paperwork stating that they did so.

Was going to post the same about checking in at a US hotel
  • zagfles
    Options
    Must have changed - I've not been to the US for 20 years, certainly didn't have anything like that when I was there. Never had that in any accomodation I've stayed in anywhere in the world, other than sometimes wanting a specific damage deposit of say £100-200 or so.
    Maybe people need to become as obssessive with hotel rooms as with hire cars. Check the room for any scratches, dents, chips etc.

Or just avoid accomodation which has unlimited damage clauses.

Or pay in cash.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    When you check in ( in the USA)the hotel will want a debit card deposit or a credit card hold , paying in cash won’t make any difference
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Might be worth contacting the Chamber of Commerce in whatever location the motel is situated to advise them of your incident.

If they have had complaints about the establishment it should prompt them to investigate.
  • zagfles
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    When you check in ( in the USA)the hotel will want a debit card deposit or a credit card hold , paying in cash won!!!8217;t make any difference
    USA has definitely changed since I was last there.

But there again people say that about car hire in Europe but I've found loads of car hire firms that take cash, with no need for a card at all. Some people just think what they see is everything.
  • zagfles
    Options
    This is interesting from Barclaycard - they say a hotel can't charge the card for damage to the room. It's for UK merchants, but the VISA/Mastercard rules tend to be similar worldwide...

Hotels might try it on because a lot of people do actually seem to believe that a merchant can charge you what they like once they have your CC details.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/files/Lodging_or_Accommodation.pdf

Dispute with your bank and please let us know the outcome. It might educate us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure