Craziest/most stupid reason you have been blocked?

Options

Comments

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    There's an item I've been watching for over a year.

The original value of the item is about £40, I am willing to pay £60.

Certain price guides may or may not overstate the value, but the true value is what people will pay for it, and various sellers have been listing the same item on auction every 2 months or so. It usually gets bid up to around £70 or £80 so I never win. Except once when a 0 feedback seller sold it for £40 - worth risking it but I forgot to bid!

So a year ago, a seller listed it on BIN for £180 and I offered my £60 which was auto rejected, every so often he lowers the price by £5 and it's now £120, and still auto rejecting my offer.

On items I'm selling, I seem to get a lot of people asking me "will you accept £x" and it's usually a good price, but I just block them, then they complain about not being able to bid (because blocking doesn't block replies to old messages)
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why is it "taking the mickey"?
    Any sensible seller is going to get as much as possible for their goods and if someone lists a Primark item for 3x the price they bought it for and someone is willing to pay it or close to it then all I can say is good luck to that seller.

Is it really any different to an auctioneer in an auction house trying to start the bidding at a price far higher than most people would be willing to pay?
    This is what often happens and whilst it's certainly true that in most cases the auctioneer has to keep lowering the starting amount until they get a bid, every now and again you do get someone jumping in and offering the first amount asked for.

If people weren't so greedy, buying up certain items in bulk and then punting them on eBay, then the rest of us would be able to buy them at regular price in Primark et al in the first place. I understand that a seller wants to make enough money but they're the ones creating false demand by buying up huge volumes of stock so the rest of us have to either pay 3x he original price or miss out....much like ticket touts. I work full time, long shifts too so I can't always get to a high street store on the day a collection launches or even for a few days thereafter.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do Primark reallydo such desirable limited run collections? H&M maybe...

I agree with shaun - it's capitalism folks. If there are people who are willing to pay the price, either not knowing that it can be got cheaper elsewhere or not caring or paying for the convenience, then someone else will sell it. The profit they take is the payoff for the risk of not selling.

When I used to dabble in selling on comics and so forth - I would find things on market stalls for less than a pound and sell on for 5 or 6 - because I knew whether it was a rare or desirable issue. There are people who buy multiple issues of Radio Times or other freely available mags and sell them on the next week - because there are overseas collectors who will pay a premium for anything that has e.g. a certain celeb/performer/actor on the cover.

Some sellers are being wildly optimistic - like zerog observed and they eventually work it out when they get no bids or repeated offers at a realistic price. Some buyers are being wildly optimistic or hoping that the seller will be desperate and gets in earlier.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Do Primark reallydo such desirable limited run collections? H&M maybe...

When some items hit the press, then they do actually sell out. Look up what happened for example with the Chip Mug purses which people were going crazy for from Primark. There have been other items, even mundane things such as pyjamas or a simple summer dress where someone buys them in bulk. I even remember a T shirt which was £7, someone bought LOADS and was selling about 10 in each size for £14.95 plus postage...I was lucky enough to find one for £3 in a sale rack a few months down the line.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When some items hit the press, then they do actually sell out. Look up what happened for example with the Chip Mug purses which people were going crazy for from Primark. There have been other items, even mundane things such as pyjamas or a simple summer dress where someone buys them in bulk. I even remember a T shirt which was £7, someone bought LOADS and was selling about 10 in each size for £14.95 plus postage...I was lucky enough to find one for £3 in a sale rack a few months down the line.

Primark don't sell online though do they? So these folks are selling to the market who can't/don't want to go to the store. That's business.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primark don't sell online though do they? So these folks are selling to the market who can't/don't want to go to the store. That's business.

I'm not a clothing expert but I do know someone who used to model her business on the 'buy what the bloggers talk about and resell'. She was there at some of the big launches in London for stuff like the H and M pop star designed clothes and made a very good profit. She spent hours in the queues, a fair bit of travel and other expenses- and yet still had people moan that she had a mark up. One memorable woman in Scotland somewhere even told her she must be in league with the shops as the design was only available at the London flagship store and her fares would have been well in excess of £100 , plus a hotel to buy the item she wanted- and now when she does find one the seller still wants to make money from her which was discrimination! I do think some people mistake businesses with a charity.

I can also reassure every one reading this thread that I buy cheaply and sell at a higher price, that's how I make a profit. Even with my items commonly bought in lots at auction I get the very very occasional remark like 'I bet you only paid £10 for this and now expect me to pay £20' - which makes me smile as often I didn't even pay £10 :) however, my petrol costs and parking costs are high and I have to carry a lot of stock to find the occasional really high hitting item.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That's completely different. I have no problem with collectors' items being sold for above their original worth but for example, someone selling a Primark item for 3x the original price takes the mickey and if you don't want to consider offers, don't have that option in your auctions. Simple.

I collect beads.... not old or antique but from brands that retire their designs. Some will retail for £60 but then come back on the reseller market almost immediately with massive mark-ups.

The seller offers the bead, the buyers decide if they are prepared to pay that price (fully aware of its original selling price which is freely available by searching on the manufacturer's website). No one is forcing anyone to look twice at the sale ad... it's not personal. It's not done to offend. It's a sales ad. Buy it / don't buy it. It's just market forces.

Just like the sell-out bead that proved so popular that stocks ran out, the Primark item is in demand. When demand outstrips supply the seller is in a strong position. The original price is old news; what matters is the current market price. Commerce in action.
    :hello:
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've been watching a dress for a few weeks. It's a bit pricey for what I want at £26 BIN with a fiver P+P so I'd hoped it might come down. Sure enough it was relisted - at £28 BIN with a fiver P+P.
    Got up this morning to a message it's been relisted £28 with free p&p. I shall offer a cheeky £20 and probably get blocked :D
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Even with my items commonly bought in lots at auction I get the very very occasional remark like 'I bet you only paid £10 for this and now expect me to pay £20' - which makes me smile as often I didn't even pay £10 :) however, my petrol costs and parking costs are high and I have to carry a lot of stock to find the occasional really high hitting item.
    Even with auctions I rarely got that. The biggest complaint in an auction was selling ex shop stock. If it had prices on and the buyer had paid more than retail then they often tried to get out of it. Where possible I had prices removed, it saved a lot of problems.
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 May 2018 at 3:35PM
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Offering less than half the BIN price would get you blocked by many sellers. It wastes their time dealing with daft offers and many (we have had threads on here about it) consider that sort of buyer to be a potential problem and best avoided.

I've had a buyer offer just over a quarter of my BIN price! £20 when it's on at just under £80. It's not overpriced and is a good deal.

To make matters worse they are miles away, not anywhere close and it's advertised as a collection only item.

I looked on their feedback and turns out they have a shop selling vintage items for sky high prices (three nearly four figures)! Which is fair enough but at least be fair to the sellers who may sell you their vintage items for your shop.

Should I block them? Would this seem OTT or rude on my part?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure